Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught that the leg knife is worn *inside*, not only to reduce the risk of entanglement, but also to reduce the chance of a ditched weight belt from catching on the knife (and thus not being ditched after all!).

Good point, provided you're using a belt. If you're diving a weight integrated BCD, it's rather moot, though :)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

When deciding where to put your knife, remember that you need to be able to get it back into the sheath without
1) dropping it
2) stabbing yourself or damaging your suit
3) it requiring a ridiculous amount of time & fumbling, possibly also inadvertently item 1 or 2

After considering this I have never had a knife on my leg. Then again I have a drysuit and thick undersuit, in a wetsuit I might have decided differently.

Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes.

I'm also diving dry with thick undergarments, and the calf mount works fine for me. I guess it's a matter of taste, gear config and anatomy.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Trilobite goes on the Petrel straps, and another one could easily go on the compass straps but I have a Folts minimalist on there instead.

Brilliant! I've been struggling to find a good places for my trilobite, small knife, and shears. This solves my problems.

/scurries off to garage to put trilobite on Petrel straps.

I have been using 2 for a number of years. The BFK goes on the inside of the calf. Its most important feature is the heel, which makes an excellent hammer. My kids also think it too cool to leave on shore (it is my original from 1980). It is great if I want to smash a snail or clam to attract fish. The second is a 3" titanium coated blade that I wear inverted on the quick release of my BCD weight pocket. When the weight is in place and tightened down, the handle lays flush on the weight and extends out about an inch. This is the blade that I use for cutting. it was cheap ($12) from an online store and is considered disposable (I have lost one in the last five years, but found a couple of them). This year Santa bought a Trilobite to go on the other side of my BCD. Its function is as a back-up to the 3" and for cutting multiple lines.

I had a kid (20 something) at a dive picnic tell me that he would never want a pointy tipped BFK like mine (I was cutting the watermelon with it) because the tip would break off and was too big to be useful. I had to laugh because the knife was older than he was. I also pointed out that I was cutting the watermelon because no one else had a knife big enough for the job. Love to see some of you guys try to gut a watermelon with a Trilobite or EMT shears.

I have been using 2 for a number of years. The BFK goes on the inside of the calf. Its most important feature is the heel, which makes an excellent hammer. My kids also think it too cool to leave on shore (it is my original from 1980). It is great if I want to smash a snail or clam to attract fish. The second is a 3" titanium coated blade that I wear inverted on the quick release of my BCD weight pocket. When the weight is in place and tightened down, the handle lays flush on the weight and extends out about an inch. This is the blade that I use for cutting. it was cheap ($12) from an online store and is considered disposable (I have lost one in the last five years, but found a couple of them). This year Santa bought a Trilobite to go on the other side of my BCD. Its function is as a back-up to the 3" and for cutting multiple lines.

I had a kid (20 something) at a dive picnic tell me that he would never want a pointy tipped BFK like mine (I was cutting the watermelon with it) because the tip would break off and was too big to be useful. I had to laugh because the knife was older than he was. I also pointed out that I was cutting the watermelon because no one else had a knife big enough for the job. Love to see some of you guys try to gut a watermelon with a Trilobite or EMT shears.
The other time a BFK comes in handy is for prying open giant rock scallops. I can't count how many times I've been diving with buddies when they come upon a honey hole full of big scallops and have no way to harvest them (a little line cutter or sawed off steak knife is useless). I break out my 8.5" Aqualung Seahawk from the 60's and get to work.
I keep the Seahawk BFK the inside of my left calf, and my other Riffe fish sticker is on my belt.
Funny how they all make fun of it at first, but seem to shut their pie holes pretty quick when I get the booty.

The other time a BFK comes in handy is for prying open giant rock scallops. I can't count how many times I've been diving with buddies when they come upon a honey hole full of big scallops and have no way to harvest them (a little line cutter or sawed off steak knife is useless). I break out my 8.5" Aqualung Seahawk from the 60's and get to work.
I keep the Seahawk BFK the inside of my left calf, and my other Riffe fish sticker is on my belt.
Funny how they all make fun of it at first, but seem to shut their pie holes pretty quick when I get the booty.

That is usually what I use my large knife for as well and if that does not get the job done there is always this.

Diving Equipment Specialties

1_11158.jpg

That is usually what I use my large knife for as well and if that does not get the job done there is always this.

Diving Equipment Specialties…

I have found this to be a much better design for an underwater hammer. The handle is short so there is less resistance in the water and the head is much longer so thick gloved hands stay farther from the impact zone. By brother made this one for me over 40 years ago.

The sharp edges on the head where the ends mushroomed out is handy for clearing growth and rust. Definitely better than rounded like a maul.

Attachments

• Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 194

Deleted...Sorry, that was a confusing reply.... to something else I was thinking about.... weird stuff rattling around.... must be oxygen deprivation........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom