Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This works well for a folding knife.

Attachments

• Salt Knife 1.jpg
    Salt Knife 1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Salt Knife 2.jpg
    Salt Knife 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Salt Knife 3.jpg
    Salt Knife 3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 162
A blunt tip knife on my belt, left of the buckle and a trilobyte on my computer band on my right arm. I would play around and place it wherever you can reach it(them) in an emergency. As others have alluded to, I see it as a cutting device and not a knife. I also have shears if the need arises.

The right question is where don't you put a knife. Trilobite goes on the Petrel straps, and another one could easily go on the compass straps but I have a Folts minimalist on there instead. Belt gets a sheath knife or a trilobite depending on the harness. BFKs go on the inside of whatever calf you prefer. Spydercos go on the wrist like Akimbo shows unless it's a drysuit when they go in a pocket. Shears go in a sheath on my Irikonjis or on a shoulder harness if diving dry.

You really cannot have too many cutting implements on you.

I really like mine on the hose. It is not something that I want to think about until I need it and then it needs to be easy to find. I've used it once, to cut some line off a fish and I found it without thinking about it. Inside the pocket of my warm water BCD I have another one mounted so when the divemaster says it is absolutely not permissible to have a knife, I can take mine off my hose. The BCD knife is right beside the gloves that I'm not allowed to wear while hanging on the rope.

I like to keep a claymore on my left hip, a dagger in each boot, 3 z knives on bcd straps and a razor knife in my pocket.

However what I usually do is just keep a titanium knife on a bcd strap. I've never had the occasion to use it during a dive but it's there just in case.

That is way too ingenious.

Thanks, but it is a stolen concept. Commercial divers in warmer water have shoved folding knives up the sleeves of their wetsuits longer than I can remember. I just added the knife pocket because the up-the-sleeve trick was a nuisance when wearing Neoprene gloves with long cuffs. The sleeve alone works fine in warm water with regular fabric work gloves.

I also installed a forearm pocket on my drysuit. You can also shove it under a computer of compass strap.

Where do you put your knife ?

For rec diving in open water, one knife on the inside of my lower leg (right leg, as I'm a southpaw) and a second on my waist strap when I'm wearing my Freedom Plate or affixed to the inside of my Scubapro Stab Jacket when I'm wearing my, um, Scubapro Stab Jacket.

StreamlineYourBCD_20110526e_lg.jpgStreamlineYourBCD_20110526a_lg.jpg

Regarding the knife on my leg, if I ever have to ditch my scuba, I'll still be dressed "correctly" with mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt, and dive knife.

EDIT: I was taught that the leg knife is worn *inside*, not only to reduce the risk of entanglement, but also to reduce the chance of a ditched weight belt from catching on the knife (and thus not being ditched after all!).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom