Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always found that things that try to do too many things are barely satisfactory in all, while specialized items do what they were intended perfectly, lol.

To each his own, though. There's more than one way to skin a cat[fish].

That is true with some things but not on this particular subject. These big dive knives were made to be tools more than conventional knives. Ironically one of the things they don't do well is cut! The stainless doesn't hold an edge worth a damn, the serrated side is used for some cutting; but prying, digging, and hammering is what they were really designed to do. .

Maybe if I only dived on vacations off charter boats at protected sites where even gloves aren't allowed my knife needs would be different. Here in New England where there is no endangered coral to damage but plenty of wrecks where a BFK is useful and Quahogs to be harvested my BFK is king.

As you say to each his own

This has been a fun read. Thanks for the chuckles. "Apparently, not well enough..." was the best line so far.

TBS, I carry at least two cutting implements; A z-knife on my right shoulder strap and a small knife on my left waist band. I've cut off a lot of mono with the z-knife and have freed two divers with entanglements. I used to carry EMT shears, but they just don't last. Hell, the blades looked great, but when I went to use them the pivot pin broke/rusted out. Why carry something that's going to fail when you use it?

I also always carry 2 cutting devices, a Trilobite line cutter and a folding titanium knife. I've really only used the Trilobite once to free myself from some heavy monofilament on a night dive on the Capt Tony in Boynton Beach. I use it all the time to harvest fishing line from the reefs. I use the knife to terminate Lionfish after I've speared them with my small pole spear.

I also always carry 2 cutting devices, a Trilobite line cutter and a folding titanium knife.

You're obviously a warm water diver. I challenge you to operate that folding knife - or any folding tool for that case - while wearing 6mm three-fingers, or drygloves with thick liners :D

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

You're obviously a warm water diver.
You post it like it's an epithet. Most of the world dives warm water. You Cold Water Barbarians are an anomaly! :D I hardly ever dive a wet suit, much less a dry suit. Obviously, hiding a knife in my wetsuit simply won't work. That's the beauty of ScubaBoard: lots of ideas from around the world. Use what works for you. Dive and let dive.

You post it like it's an epithet.
No, just a conclusion from Mr. Obvious :)

You Cold Water Barbarians are an anomaly! :D
And we love it :cool2: My last dive was last Sunday, a nippy -8C/18F in the air and a balmy 6C/43F in the water :D

Use what works for you. Dive and let dive.
Couldn't agree more :)

:D
You're obviously a warm water diver. I challenge you to operate that folding knife - or any folding tool for that case - while wearing 6mm three-fingers, or drygloves with thick liners

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I operate the knife just fine with my 5 mm, 5 finger gloves. I dive this down to the low 50s in San Diego, very comfortably, thank you very much. I guess you are from Norway, bet you wish you could dive warmer water and operate a folding scuba tool with hands that could actually do anything :D

The best little cutting tool I found so far that's very cheap is an Equiniox serrated cutter/knife. It's a small blunt ended knife that looks similar to a sawed off steak knife except it's super sharp. They're almost considered a disposable tool because they are less than $10. The crab fishermen turned me on to them. I was clearing some crab pot line off a prop for a guy and he handed me one and said "here, try this". It sliced right through tough weighted commercial crab trap rope like butter. He said they buy them by the box and use them topside to cut line in case something goes wrong and they need to cut/clear a line fast.
I made a sheath for it out of weight belt webbing and rivets in a way that it sits tight in the sheath and I can put it on my waistbelt or weightbelt.
So far for myself anyway it's the best (small) line cutter I found, better than shears, steak knife, or trilobite.
I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

And then of course I always have the Sea Hawk with me.

Back
Top Bottom