Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We must do very different diving.
Isn't that a rather typical SB response? "I don't need that, so logically, no-one else could ever need that either"?

Isn't that a rather typical SB response? "I don't need that, so logically, no-one else could ever need that either"?

Like everything else we all tend to look at things from our own perspective. I just can't seem to put my finger on when divers stopped needing a knife heavy enough to pry, hammer and dig with. When did that happen? I see divers go after Quahogs with all sorts of digging tools but the 71/2" blade USD Sea Hawk is always the winner! I carry a sharp knife for cutting. Also carry a pair of wire cutters that I've never used diving.

Like everything else we all tend to look at things from our own perspective. I just can't seem to put my finger on when divers stopped needing a knife heavy enough to pry, hammer and dig with. When did that happen? I see divers go after Quahogs with all sorts of digging tools but the 71/2" blade USD Sea Hawk is always the winner! I carry a sharp knife for cutting. Also carry a pair of wire cutters that I've never used diving.

Why use a knife to Hammer? Mantas got the perfect tool for that. Steel hammer with chisel in the neck. Eyebolt for easy clipping and perfectly versatile as trim when not hammering.

Every tool has a purpose, and while knifes have many - I've never found them a good substitute for a hammer.... :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never found them a good substitute for a hammer.... :).

I use my knife all the time to hammer (crack open clams/crabs and feed to the pretty fish)...
Dive Knife.jpg

Gee that's funny with 40 years experience and over 2000 dives I still find plenty of use for my 71/2" blade dive knife. We must do very different diving.

I've seen too many divers on "tidy bowl" reef dives with enough crap strapped on they look like a Christmas tree including the BFK. Amazingly it's the BFK that gets a bad rap. I'm all for whatever tool you need for the dive. If I needed a belt sander, I'd figure out a way to clip it off (but I'd leave the rest of the crap on the boat). :D

No offense intended...one man's crap is another man's gold...

Last edited:
Why use a knife to Hammer?
Because it's easier to carry one multitool than a dozen different special tools. I don't need a dedicated hammer often enough to defend hanging another specialized tool on my rig.

Every tool has a purpose
Except for multitools which have several purposes. Topside I carry a Leatherman, but since folding tools are a b!tch to operate with thick neoprene gloves, I carry a diver's multitool AKA a big-a$$ diving knife under water.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Why use a knife to Hammer? Mantas got the perfect tool for that. Steel hammer with chisel in the neck. Eyebolt for easy clipping and perfectly versatile as trim when not hammering.

Every tool has a purpose, and while knifes have many - I've never found them a good substitute for a hammer.... :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's an all in one tool that is handy and doesn't take the space of all the tools it mimics, at least that's why I hammer with my knife. If I knew I'd be doing a LOT of hammering I'd of course bring a hammer, but for the incidental use as a hammer it works fine.

Like the do all tool that comes with a chain saw, you wouldn't over haul the engine with it but to tighten the chain and other minor a adjustments it works fine.

Last edited:
Why use a knife to Hammer? …

Everything is a hammer, in the hands of a commercial diver. There’s a Crescent Hammer, Shackle Hammer, Caveman Hammer (rock), and BFK Hammer just to name a few. I once considered using my Bailout Bottle Hammer but thought better of it. :wink:

I've always found that things that try to do too many things are barely satisfactory in all, while specialized items do what they were intended perfectly, lol.

To each his own, though. There's more than one way to skin a cat[fish].

I've always found that things that try to do too many things are barely satisfactory in all, while specialized items do what they were intended perfectly, lol…

It is more a question of how much crap a diver can carry. How many times are you willing to swim back to the boat for the perfect tool rather than improvise a little?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom