Knife Question..... Do you carry one, and why

Do you carry a Knife whilediving

• Yes

Votes: 89 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Depends (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Knife whats that i carry __________________ (post responce below please)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Simple little poll

just want to know if you carry a knife on you while diving and is it a every dive thing or based on conditions?

then if you dont use a knife what do you use ?

tooth

I carry a knife & shears every dive. Shears are the usual weapon of choice against fishing line. Knife is a folding gerber in a pocket on waist strap. Finally had to use it the other day to extract a fishing lure from a piece of engineer tape (cloth tape).

Over 42 years of in-and-off diving, I usually did not dive with a knife except in the 60's and early 70's (when I foolishly thought I could take on a great white with the impressive "Bowie" dive knife I had then).

Much of my diving is in a marine reserve where fishing line is not an issue... usually. A few months ago I did get hooked in the glove by an illegal fishing line. Now I carry a small BC knife. I'd also carry my sea snips but I don't want them dangling and I don't have pockets.

Dr. Bill

I carry my knife...and now thanks to a certain individual, I will be carrying shears on my dives as well.

I carry both a small knife on my waistbelt and shears in my drysuit pocket...all dives...because when you need them, you don't want that to be the day you left them on the dock.

drbill:
I'd also carry my sea snips but I don't want them dangling and I don't have pockets.

Dr. Bill

I carry my shears upside down in a sheath attached to my left shoulder harness. Keeps them out of the way and accessable. Depending on what type of BC/harness you have, that may be an option. The sheath I have would also work on a waist belt.

I also carry a Zip knife on my computer/bottom timer strap if diving around nets or in the river.

MD

I carry a knife (it is really more of a can opener with a line cutter attached :p ) & shears every dive.

Like the man said it is better to have a line cuter and not need it then need a line cutter and not have it.

I carry a knife and shears. A knife was alway stressed by my instructor when I took my original OWD course in the 70's, and I guess it just stuck. Honestly, I probabley only used it only during a small percentage of dives, but would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Bill :eat_arrow

I have used mine to unentangle my wife and best buddy from monofiliment line. The only thing I have ever seen Walter use his for is to spear Flounder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom