Knife Question..... Do you carry one, and why

Do you carry a Knife whilediving

• Yes

Votes: 89 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Depends (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Knife whats that i carry __________________ (post responce below please)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buck intrepid (fixed blade)

Spyderco police model (folder)

why? see attached image.

ok now for what knife, i see a lot of folders in the group, and that they are stored on the waist band.

i currently havea set of EMT shears on a D-ring were i can get to them in a hurry, i was thinking of adding a knife andwas looking at the oceanmaster Ti knife (stick style with there leg strap) with a blunt tip since i dont think i will need a sharp, then it would be placed on my leg

tooth

If I am teaching, then standards require that I do. In this case, I carry a knife and shears. Zeagle has a nice setup that goes on my right shoulderstap. It has a low profile and is accessible by either hands.

When diving for fun, if there is any chance of entaglement, then yes. In this case, that means anytime I dive in California. When going to distant locations, it all depends.. I don't in Coz, haven't decided on Yap or Palau, but probably not.

For ALL of my sport diving I carry a knife and shears.

My most used knife is a Wenoka titanium in Tanto pattern.

SeaSnips of just ordinary paramedic shears.

Even on working dives where I am using the minimialist rig so I can get inside an 18" pipe I will tuck shears inside my wet suit.

Just about the only times I go in the water without cutting tools is the shower and a swimming pool.

I carry a small non-folding knife and a set of EMT shears on my waist strap on every dive. The EMT shears are the best technology for dealing with monofilament, a too-common problem on many of my dives and the knife is a backup and great for cutting larger items, like your buddy's hoses or fruit during the surface interval.

Steven

Scubatooth:
ok now for what knife, i see a lot of folders in the group, and that they are stored on the waist band.

i currently havea set of EMT shears on a D-ring were i can get to them in a hurry, i was thinking of adding a knife andwas looking at the oceanmaster Ti knife (stick style with there leg strap) with a blunt tip since i dont think i will need a sharp, then it would be placed on my leg

tooth

I got away from the leg mount knife shortly after OW, as it doesn't make sense. The only reason to have it there, supposedly, is for access. Well, that's bullhooey. All it does is create a great snag point and let you loose it easier.

There are much more suitable locations for a knife or shears.

MD

What Mech said ^^^.

I don't dive with a knife on my leg, so I'll defer to others on this score, but it would seem to me to be a giant monofilament/kelp magnet... and it's not like your leg is the easiest place to access, especially once you're entangled.

I carry a 7" knife and UW light on all dive's. i dont like things dangling on me so I keep them in my BC pocket. my knife has a flat tip.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom