Knife Question..... Do you carry one, and why

Do you carry a Knife whilediving

• Yes

Votes: 89 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Depends (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Knife whats that i carry __________________ (post responce below please)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gerber river guide knife upside down on right should strap of BC (with wrist loop I put either hand through before I pull the knife free, loop is held out of the way by a buggee loop around the sheath), shears in pouch on cummerbund band.

Entanglement with fishing line, old trawler net other lines around wrecks.

Scubatooth:
ok now for what knife, i see a lot of folders in the group, and that they are stored on the waist band.

I have a small non-folding OMERsub knife which I wear on the front of my waste belt. It's large enough that I don't have touble holding it in my gloved hand yet small enough that it doesn't get in the way.

Folding knife (rescue, blunt blade) on my waist, sharp point fixed blade off my shoulder, used for securing dinner.

Standards require two (2) dive safety tools. One is placed above the waist-band and should be accessible by either hand. One is placed below the waist-belt and accessible by either hand. A pair of shears and/or wire-cutters in a pocket is a good idea.

The idea here is that no matter which end gets entangled, a cutter will be available.

(Oh, yes. This would be for a Public Safety Diver who spends a fair amount of time poking his way into things that can entangle!)

BJD :anakinpod

Yep, I carry a knife. Don't see a reason not to. Better to have one and not need it, then to need one and not have it.

Shears on all dives.

A knife if I'm spearfishing, with a point, as well as the shears.

The shears will cut steel fishing leader like butter. A knife will NOT.

Both are accessible with either hand; the knife is typically on my lower leg, the shears are on my waist belt.

Other than braining fish, the knife almost never gets used. The shears, on the other hand, get used often enough on things that would laugh at the knife that I'm glad I have 'em with me.

I carry a small fixed blade. Never had to use it but just like the 9mm in the bedside table makes me feel more comfortable. Hope I never need either one.

I carry a folding knife in a small pouch on my waist belt. I've never once needed it in the water.

Used to carry a knife. However, I no longer carry one as more dive operators these days ban knives.

I carry a small knife and shears, both on my BC, because I believe that my BC is the best place for anything pointy. Actually neither one is pointy. Hey! What's the fourth selection on the poll? I don't get it. Maybe I'll vote for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom