Knife Question..... Do you carry one, and why

Do you carry a Knife whilediving

• Yes

Votes: 89 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Depends (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Knife whats that i carry __________________ (post responce below please)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A knife is a lot like a handgun, you don't need one at all until you need one real bad and right now.

When I started diving I carried a combination ab iron and dive knife that was about 15 inches long and weighted about a pound. It was trendy at the time.

Now I carry a combination dive knife and shears made by Parkway that functions well as a dive knife and yet will easily cut 1/8 steel cable if needed. It is better than most shears in this regard. This knife is normally mounted on the waist band.

I will also on occasion carry an old but very reliable and extremely sharp Scubapro stilletto dive knife in a very low profile custom sheath on my left fore arm. I will use this knife every now and then when collecting fishing lures in a river with a 4 kt current and the ability to use the knife while remaining streamlined and hanging onto something on the bottom is very important.

I tend to dive in limited visibility in areas with a lot of potential entanglements. Early in my career a local diver drowned about 6 inches under water due to an entanglement and I learned the importance of always having at least one knife in a location where it is accessible with either hand.

queentrigger:
Used to carry a knife. However, I no longer carry one as more dive operators these days ban knives.
Really? Where are they doing that? Why are they doing that? Well knives are okay with us! In fact, bring as many as you want, and remember... if you have enough knives, you don't need lead.

Depends where I'm diving. Knife or shears are nice to have when encountering monofilament or any other line. They come in handy from time to time.

I carry a knife. Have stumbled into fishing line on several occassions and it is handy to have something to cut it with.

I carry 6 knives! one on each forearm, one on each lower-leg, and one on each BC strap!!! Just in case I get into a knife fight with another diver, or get caught in a huge tuna net, I have a knife within easy reach!!! :lol:

Just kidding... I carry one small Akona knife on a Halcyon waist holder. (This was a disappointment since I was hoping that the knife would have the Halcyon name)

I used to carry a UK Blue Tang knife on my leg, but since I started to get interested in DIR, I've moved to the smaller knife. My Blue Tang is now part of my snorkeling gear bag, along with my Mares Volos.

Small knife (Oceanic) on my BC with me always. Occasionally I add another knife (Akona) to the inside of my lower right leg but I did pop it out once when kneeling on the dive boat ladder. I'm not too concerned about it being a snag hazard as it is on the inside of my leg but I realize it has the potential to snag no matter where it is if it's exposed. I also have shears which I haven't decided where to put yet. Maybe attached to my BC or in a pocket.

Diverlady

I carry my knife when I might need such as in the ocean, but I generally leave it off in the quarry or when I am helping people in the pool. On one ocean city dive I witnessed a man cut himself out of a fishing net that pulled him off of the anchor line and left him free floating in the ocean in some bad weather and high seas. Needless to say I wont leave the boat without my knife now.

Always dive with one, strapped to inside right leg. When in Coz, where there is no knife policy, I still take it with me, tucked in my BCD pouch.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Boogie711:
What Mech said ^^^.

I don't dive with a knife on my leg, so I'll defer to others on this score, but it would seem to me to be a giant monofilament/kelp magnet... and it's not like your leg is the easiest place to access, especially once you're entangled.

That is why you look at the little pictures. You wear the knife on the inside of your leg, not the outside. I have swam through all sorts of things and it has never snagged on anything, including kelp.:D

I carry a blue tang hydroalloy on the inside of my right leg and I carry a small cressi knife attached upside down to my left waiststrap of my BP/W (just in front of the spg d-ring). I use the tank knocker on the large knife more than the actual knife, but have used the knife to cut line. I have also used the small one to cut line as well. It has sharp tip and the large knife has a blunt tip so if there is a small ball of monofiliament then it can be easier to get the smaller knife in there and cut it free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom