King Cruiser Wreck condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Is King cruiser wreck still in good condition? I heard it was completely destroyed by some storm a few years ago. Is it still worth visiting?

Is King cruiser wreck still in good condition? I heard it was completely destroyed by some storm a few years ago. Is it still worth visiting?

The King Cruiser wreck has changed a lot over the years and is still a GREAT dive. It is not completely destroyed but it is slowly falling apart due to corrosion and current.
To reach the top of the wreck nowadays you will have to decent nearly 18 meters and the wreck itself sits upright on a bottom of approx. 30 meters. There are tons of fish, quite a few different species of nudibranchs and other creatures to be seen.

Currents can be strong at times and visibility isn't always great and I would call it an "Advanced" dive. The King Cruiser Wreck is mostly done in combination with Shark Point and Koh Doc Mai as a three-dive day trip from Phuket and will cost you about 3500 Baht.

Thanks, Boumouth!

and what about Hin Daeng/Muang? I found a two years old message here saying they had been seriously damaged. Are they still worth diving?

I'm choosing options for daily/overnight trips from Phuket in the end of March. Thank you!

Thanks, Boumouth!

and what about Hin Daeng/Muang? I found a two years old message here saying they had been seriously damaged. Are they still worth diving?

I'm choosing options for daily/overnight trips from Phuket in the end of March. Thank you!

About two years ago many of Hin Muang's soft corals and some of its other marine life (sea stars, some anemones etc) started to die and literally fall off the rocky substrate.
There were many speculations about why this happened (extreme algae bloom, prolonged high water temperature, poison, pollution etc) but as far as I know nobody is still 100% sure what happened there.
The weird thing was that Hin Daeng wasn't that much affected and this is especially strange because the two dive sites are very close to each other and even connected to one another at depth.

Anyway, I'm happy to let you know that both dive sites are currently definitely worth while diving and that Hin Muang has mostly recovered from its "disease".

Hi shiva,

If you fancy an alternative to Phuket, you can do all those sites fron Ao Nang too. As Bowmouth said, the King Cruiser is still a good dive and plenty of fish!:D We combine that dive with Shark Point and Anemone Reef. Hin Daeng/Hin Mouang we do by speed boat as a day trip, also with an optional 3 dive trip taking in Koh Ha Yai on the way back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom