Best Dive Centres In Phuket Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is OW + AOW a big joke? Thanks.

Many people do it in a week so they can dive to 30m. Nothing wrong with that, it's really like OW is a learners permit and AOW a Provisional license. Then again you can also do a nitrox course with that as well.

AOW won't make you into an experienced diver it just allows to get on dive boats where dive centers require AOW for some dives.

Some dives require AOW and 100 plus dived logged.

I read the entire thread you provided, including your post in it "
My OW instructor was great and ditto to the subsequent AOW and Tec instructors.
Confidence is important but NOT over it.
One step at a time.
There is no short cut," which doesn't appear to answer my question and appears contradictory. So, again, while your cited thread is interesting how is OW + AOW a joke?

Personal opinion only.
1. I did not mention that my AOW came after completion of 10 unsupervised dives after OW.
2. Was I comfortable after OW? Limited because I was not sure about my experience, knowledge, skill/technique etc etc. in an unsupervised situation.
3. Knowledge! Did not realize that wet suit could be so important to determine the dead weight carried; shortie, full suit, thickness, thermal etc. There are/were few more even after AOW.
4. Night dive was one of the core dive when I did my OW and it was a bit challenging to dive for the first time. No longer the case now for OW. How would you deal with it on your first night dive without supervision?
5. Can't say about other divers but I have seen enough to draw my own conclusion. AOW is fine especially if you have more experiences in mastering the basic technique eg. mask clearing.
6. Buoyancy! The Holy Grail in diving.

Have fun in your future adventure in scuba diving but please do not rush the training.

I read the entire thread you provided, including your post in it "
My OW instructor was great and ditto to the subsequent AOW and Tec instructors.
Confidence is important but NOT over it.
One step at a time.
There is no short cut," which doesn't appear to answer my question and appears contradictory. So, again, while your cited thread is interesting how is OW + AOW a joke?

Just go ahead and do both courses and throw in nitrox. Then go diving. If you can do a lot of diving like I do say 40 dives in 12 diving days then you will really improve by being with more experienced divers. Just do dives you are comfortable with. I had a DM in training panic on a fast current dive in Bali recently, and he had to end the dive and get back on the boat with a guide while other divers continued the dive. Even though he thought because he had rescue had done 150 dives and was part way through a DM course he thought we was ready for some torrent diving in Lombok.
What Centrals really wants to point out that having done an OW and AOW in short order won't make you an experienced diver and yes I do sort of agree that getting in dives is more important than adding cards but I have dived with people who have done OW then AOW and nitrox in one vacation diving. Some are excellent divers, one is a Japanese chap I am now good friends with and he already was a person who snorkels and hunts while snorkeling. He is also a navigator on a commercial vessel and spends one month at sea one month on shore. He is great to dive with, calm, good on gas. I trust his navigation skills lol

Other divers just rake longer and nothing wrong with that. Just ignore what Centrals writes he is a bit harsh. Do your courses and enjoy your diving.

Diving is one of the few popular recreational sports that does not take kindly to mistake. The sport is very safe but.........

Good advice from both of you. Thanks.

After doing my own research, I've made a reservation with Aussie Divers in Phuket for a 5 day, 12 dive, OW/AOW +nitrox package in Phuket. I will be in Thailand for a month (dang, retirement is great!) and decided to take the opportunity. I live on a 148 sq. mile lake in North Idaho, USA so I'll probably be seeking equipment advice when I return from Thailand. But I do have a question now. Do you recommend bringing any equipment with you on dive trips like a mask, or do you recommend using all dive shop equipment? I don't need a mask with a prescription so I can use any mask. Thanks again.

Good advice from both of you. Thanks.

After doing my own research, I've made a reservation with Aussie Divers in Phuket for a 5 day, 12 dive, OW/AOW +nitrox package in Phuket. I will be in Thailand for a month (dang, retirement is great!) and decided to take the opportunity. I live on a 148 sq. mile lake in North Idaho, USA so I'll probably be seeking equipment advice when I return from Thailand. But I do have a question now. Do you recommend bringing any equipment with you on dive trips like a mask, or do you recommend using all dive shop equipment? I don't need a mask with a prescription so I can use any mask. Thanks again.
The most important item is MASK. There is no such thing as one fits for everyone. I normally travel with a spare mask.
Booties and fins are also worth to investigate/invest. I was given a type of SP fins which did not need booties on a fun dive trip out from Phuket few yrs ago. The fins was very uncomfortable and top of both my foot was hurting afterward.
If you going to dive "dry" in the future then you will need to invest on separate booties and fins.
Dive computer is very useful if you are going to do a lot of dive in the future.

You are on a slippery slope now!!!!!! LOL.
Have fun.

As a retired Army Airborne Ranger I'm no stranger to slippery slopes, as well as those on fire.:) I'll look into masks. Thanks.

You should move to Koh Lanta(one ferry) and may be Koh Lipe(one ferry from Koh Lanta) after the training.
Finally, LoB to Similan to round off the trip.
Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines next yr!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom