kids snorkeling while adults diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all

we're a couple of divers with 2 kids. We'll be in Yucatan peninsula in June 2019 and are considering going to Cozumel if we can find a dive operators that can cater to both snorkelers and divers on the same trip and additionally take responsibility for snorkelers while we'd be diving. Does anyone have any recommendations from personal experience? Thank you.

You’ll almost certainly have to charter your own boat for such a trip, and pay two dive masters, one to accompany the divers and another to stay with the snorkelers. There are at least a couple of dive locations where the snorkelers can stay with and above the divers - Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens. Both are fairly shallow dives, no more that 35’-40’, but both beautiful dives. You should be able to find a dive op who can arrange such a trip.

How old are the kids?

Do you have a babysitter you trust that likes to swim? It would probably be cheaper to fly him/her down there with you than to keep chartering boats and paying for two DMs. My sister/bro-in-law did this on one of their trips and said it worked out great, allowed them a lot of freedom during their 2 week stay.

I dunno about Coz but in the states, groups of mixed (snorkel + dive) often go out on snorkel boats. The divers go off and do their dive while the rest of the group stays with the herd of snorkelers. Not sure if they'd be okay with watching minors unless you paid for the supervision though.

Do you have a babysitter you trust that likes to swim? It would probably be cheaper to fly him/her down there with you than to keep chartering boats and paying for two DMs. My sister/bro-in-law did this on one of their trips and said it worked out great, allowed them a lot of freedom during their 2 week stay.

Not sure it's a good option for our case. if we do go to Cozumel it will be for 2-3 days at most, the rest of the time we're perfectly happy to babysit the kids )) It's not a diving vacation for us, we would not take small kids with us if it was.

I dunno about Coz but in the states, groups of mixed (snorkel + dive) often go out on snorkel boats. The divers go off and do their dive while the rest of the group stays with the herd of snorkelers. Not sure if they'd be okay with watching minors unless you paid for the supervision though.

interesting idea.... i will check with a few snorkel operators if it's possible. we'd definitely be happy to pay extra for supervision. if not, i will follow DjDiverDan advice to charter a private boat (will have to check how much that cost first )))

You have to keep in mind the legal restrictions in Cozumel, or at least in the Marine Park, where all the really good diving/snorkeling is. First, any boat you use MUST have a Marine Park permit, and those are limited in number, most owned or leased by Dive Ops or charter snorkel tour ops; you can’t just charter any old boat. Second, per Marine Park regulations, divers (and snorkelers, if my understanding is correct) MUST be accompanied by a licensed Dive Master; no just dropping divers or snorkelers off the boat to fend for themselves.

Here in Cayman it’s doable and our rules are fairly strict. You pay for the snorkelers or riders but not as much as for divers. We have to have a DM on surface watch so they keep an eye on them. I would reach out to a few ops or ask where you are staying. Lots of diving families have kids who are not yet certified. Having spent time doing surface watch with said kids many would prefer to be in a kids camp with other kids after about an hour :)

Back
Top Bottom