Coolest/Most Unique "Finds" While Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those dives, the briefing includes "please don't find guns nor bags of white powder: if you do, we'll all be here until midnight writing witness statements, affidavits, and having all sorts of police-related fun".
I found 3 hand grenades in local watering hole. For that exact eason I just moved them under some I beam, so no one scoops them while magnet fishing and called EOD team.

Found an engagement ring at a local beach after receiving a call from a friend. Apparently everyone on the beach had been looking for hours and my buddy was there and he called asked if I could come by with my tanks and gear and take a look. I went down and it was a little unnerving with everyone watching on the beach, but I went in and started sweeping the area they said they were in when it was lost and I found it in about six feet of water within 25 minutes.

My local harbor was also a bottle dump at the turn of the century so I have many bottles I've recovered from the muck over the years.

Some divers are damn lucky Israel’s ancient underwater treasure

Me? El cheapo sun glasses, low quality snorkeling masks, SUP paddles, flooded camera (was able to retrieve photos from memory card), that kind of stuff.

I did a dive in Caesarea harbor, though it was about 16 or 17 years ago. From my recollection, I saw an old anchor or two, remains of various ancient seawalls, and no gold coins. Nevertheless, it was still very cool just knowing the history of where I was diving.

This is my 50th year in diving & over those years ( of both commercial diving & recreational ), I've found, or have be part of finding, some pretty neat stuff, but I'll focus on the recreational side:

> cremated human remains
> boats, boat motors, cars, trucks, bikes, motorcycles, shopping carts, snowmobiles, kayaks
> wallets, purses, safe deposit box, keys, phones, clothes, drones, picnic tables, cameras, anchors
> old logging equipment, old clay smoking pipes, old china and lotsa old bottles

Here's a favourite from last year...

A fire-coral encrusted doll leg - just the leg - that was hangin' out on the bottom near a lobster. I took it and put it in our garden box, foot-up, because why not. The temptation to send it to John Oliver was strong (if you don't know the reference, do a search on his name + Dolls and watch that episode.)

It wasn't my find but it is, to date, my favorite find. A couple of weeks ago I was diving in Socorro on the Rocio Del Mar. While getting back on the panga I dropped my (their) weight belt. ugh. If you've ever been on that boat you know you have to wear the rubber chicken of shame if you forget something. They have 2. Everyone decided I needed to wear both of them on my next dive.

Our next dive was at the same site - possibly Cabo Pearce. Just after the mantas swam away we were swimming to some new spot when the dive master made his alert noise and when I looked over he was holding up the weight belt! Maybe he knew where he might find it and maybe it was lucky but boy was I glad. In addition to ridding myself of the dreaded chickens, I no longer had to pay for the loss. Win/Win!

Attachments

• IMG_6744.jpg
    IMG_6744.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6742.jpg
    IMG_6742.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom