Keys Diving Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockneed Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know you Florida guys get sick of all us tourists asking questions but...
I've rented a house for two weeks in Islamorada this May and am coming down with two friends and bringing a boat. We're mostly fishing, but plan on doing some diving as well. I'm a dive master, but my two friends are certified noobs. They've got they're cert, but havent dove much in a while. We're looking to do a couple easy, fairly shallow (under 60) dives without much current. I've got a Florida dive book with many of the major/popular dives in the Keys, and their coordinates, but am looking for some opinions.... Hen's & Chickens (is this dove out?)? Cheeca Rocks? Any recomendations for some easier, but scenic refresher dives for us? Thanks for any help.

If your boat is easily trailerable, which I assume it is based on you're taking it down, why exclude yourself just to Islamorda. hook that trailer up each morning and dive the keys from one end to the other.

just a suggestion.

For example drive up to Key Largo and dive Molasses and/or French Reef and maybe the Benwood. These are great noobie dives and still good enough for experienced divers.

For lots of fish try Snapper Ledge. That site is loaded with fish, mostly snapers and grunts but there are huge schools of them.
Something to consider,who is manning the boat? I know some dive without surface support but I for one will not dive off a boat unless there is someone on board who can handle the boat at all times. Getting blown off the boat in current or having the anchor line break is no fun.

herman:
Something to consider,who is manning the boat? I know some dive without surface support but I for one will not dive off a boat unless there is someone on board who can handle the boat at all times. Getting blown off the boat in current or having the anchor line break is no fun.

Well, I've been thinking we would moor up if possible and put out an anchor as well. Obviously this means we'd have to be either in a less-popular dive spot, or one with several moorings. However, I open to suggestions...

You'll have loads of diving spots right off Islamorada / Tavernier.

Here are just a few:

Davis Reef, Crocker Reef, Conch Reef all have mooring balls and are about 3 1/2 miles off shore. Of course you can trailer your boat up and down the Upper Keys as well, but please by our shop and I'll give you some numbers as well.

Good Diving,

Hens & Chickens and Cheeca Rocks are IMO less than ideal dive sites. They are closer to shore and shallower than the dive sites along the main reef line. Visibility is typically lower nearer to shore, and very shallow depths (10-20') can make buoyancy control extremely challenging.

Most all of the local sites along the main reef line offer good easy diving in the 20-40' depth range, and decent visibility (usually exceeding 40'). Dive sites not suitable for newbies include the artificial reefs (Bibb, Duane, Eagle, and Spiegel Grove).

Enjoy!

KeyLargoBrent:
Hens & Chickens and Cheeca Rocks are IMO less than ideal dive sites. They are closer to shore and shallower than the dive sites along the main reef line. Visibility is typically lower nearer to shore, and very shallow depths (10-20') can make buoyancy control extremely challenging.

Most all of the local sites along the main reef line offer good easy diving in the 20-40' depth range, and decent visibility (usually exceeding 40'). Dive sites not suitable for newbies include the artificial reefs (Bibb, Duane, Eagle, and Spiegel Grove).

Enjoy!

I agree but hens and chickens can be great when conditions are right. We always see tons of eagle rays there for some reason and last 2 times we saw a jewfish and a sailfish(breaking the water). It is so close that you can take a ride and if its not good continue on

I agree then Hens and checkens is not usually a great site, but of course it depends.

This web site http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/research_monitoring/map.html has great detail on most of the major sites. I might suggest Alligator Reef if you are located a bit South.

Let's just hope the wind breaks some time soon - it seems like it has been blowing 20knts give or take for weeks.

10 days and I will be back - I have been home for a couple of weeks and need another fix.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and Capt Gary, I'll make it a point to stop by, thanks! I've done some diving off Key Largo & Key West, but havent done any in between so I appreciate everyones input. Thanks!

Also, thanks Kidsdream, thats a great site.

Knockneed Man:
Well, I've been thinking we would moor up if possible and put out an anchor as well. Obviously this means we'd have to be either in a less-popular dive spot, or one with several moorings. However, I open to suggestions...
1 on theboat 2 in the water. Plan your SI's. It would help if you all were breathing nitrox.
I would really not recommend diving without "surface support". I had 2 really close calls. One when the boat broke loose and another when we were diving 9 miles out in an unfamiliar location and we got caught in some funky current.
I am no fool, you don't have to tell me three times...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom