Key West shop/trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOFME

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
wife and I are heading to Key West in mid-august, bought tickets on a whim because Ohio is boring. Basically we're escaping the kids for a week and plan on eating pie and fish tacos, drinking beer and rum, diving, and a few other adventure activities. We'd like to make 2 or 3 2-3 tank dive days. We both cut our teeth across Okinawa, Thailand, and Bali and enjoy (macro) photography. We're not expecting the same caliber dives but do really want to enjoy ourselves and meet good people. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

In Key West, I've dived with Captain's Corner and Dive Key West. Both are solid operators. Captain's Corner runs a regular schedule with morning dives to the Vandenberg and afternoon reef dives. Dive Key West is more flexible and runs slightly smaller boats.

Captain's Corner is right in the middle of the historic seaport and is in walking distance of several hotels. Depending on where you're staying, getting your car out and gear loaded for a drive to the boat can be a remarkably big deal, so that's no small thing.

You can also drive (or take the shuttle) up to Islamorada and dive with Conch Republic Divers. The diving is better in that part of the keys. Conch Republic is highly regarded and frequently recommended on Scubaboard. They cater to the more experienced diver and will do their best to give you the dive you want.

There are other good operators up and down the keys but these are the ones I've used.

Awesome thank you! I'll check both local shops. Based on your review I'll go with the smaller shop!

I agree with 2airishuman..... Capt Corner is the shop I use in KW and Conch Republic Divers is the main shop I use in the upper Keys. I usually dive with CRD three or four times a year. I'll also use Rainbow Reef occasionally too. If you like guides, they are a good choice since they run a big IDC program and the trainees serve as free guides: not so much for macro photography since the guides don't move overly slow. You can always forego the guide too.

Last edited:
If you're in KW and are willing to drive a bit, you might check out Looe Key Marine Sanctuary. It's a nice spur & groove reef bimble with generous wildlife as it's a "protected" area. It's only about 25 miles up the road from KW so if you get blown out you haven't blown the whole day. :) I go out with these guys. www.diveflakeys.com

Last edited:
Since you won't be diving for the entire time you are in Key West, and will have some surface time, there are a couple things that you might want to check out while not blowing bubbles:
  • Make a point of seeing at least one sunset from Mallory Square. Sure it is "touristy", but it is a spectacular view point. (Don't worry, all the cruise ships will be gone before the sun sets.)
  • Check out the Mel Fisher Museum. If you have never heard of Mel Fisher, he found the shipwreck of the Attocha
  • You mention that you like photography. In that case, definitely find the time to go to the Peter Lik Gallery. Peter Lik is a photographer who does things with light that I can not effectively explain let alone replicate. It has to be seen to be appreciated (ideally in one of the darkened "viewing rooms"). The first time I saw a Lik print, I not only decided that I would someday collect his work (today I have 5 prints) but it also inspired me to travel to (and fall in love with) the US Southwest.
  • Finally, any of the watering holes or hang-outs of Hemingway and/or Jimmy Buffett.

Enjoy your trip.

Things not to be missed if you have the time and $. Seaplane flight out to Fort Jefferson. Take the first or last flight and you have the fort to yourself and some very good snorkeling.

I would second the suggestion on the Mel Fisher museum. I expected it to be well commercial and centered around the wreck. It is a world class museum. It covers far more than the wreck. It details the gold and silver activities by Spain in the New World from the mine and the extraction, to the mule trains to the ports and the treasure fleets with an extensive display of artifacts. It goes into quite a bit of detail on administration, technology, government, exploitation of populations and so on. They did a heck of a job.

You can also drive (or take the shuttle) up to Islamorada and dive with Conch Republic Divers. The diving is better in that part of the keys. Conch Republic is highly regarded and frequently recommended on Scubaboard. They cater to the more experienced diver and will do their best to give you the dive you want.
If I were staying in Key West and wanted better diving, I'd go to Captain Hook's on Marathon. It's an hour closer to Key West and in my opinion the reefs in Marathon looked better than what I've seen in Key Largo.

Kelemvor: which sites are good ones on Marathon? I've only dove out of Marathon a few times but wasn't all that impressed with the reefs. I've had much better experience on the reefs in KL and Islamorada: especially the mid depth (45-50 feet) and deeper reefs like Conch Wall and Dantes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom