Key Largo January ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825:
How is it getting TO the Keys? What city do you fly into? Is there transportation to the Keys hotels from the airport, or would I need to rent a car? I've been considering going there in January as well.

Also, I have read that the Keys are not the best place for a new diver, because you are mostly on your own there, not being "toured" by a DM like in Cozumel. Any input on that? I'm a total newbie with no buddy and would be willing to pay extra for the service if needed.

You are more than welcome to join us I will be with another buddy and my girlfriend will be doing her open water dives for certification. Check this place out. I have dove with them twice and they are really cool.

http://www.silentworldkeylargo.com/

Small operation that runs a small boat. You will get the personal attention that you may require.

Florida in January -

Be aware that it is POSSIBLE for it to get COLD... I'm talking like in the 50's even at night. The water temps are usually in the low 70's which isn't that bad at all.

CAR - You won't be able to do anything without one. Definitely rent a car. Fly to Ft Lauderdale or Miami if you want to dive the keys.

I would also say that if you want a world class dive, you should definitely drift dive the east coast between Jupiter and Boca Raton. I dive in Boynton Beach quite a bit, and it's amazing compared to the reefs in key largo, and there's tons of sea life too.

The Keys are cool. But if you have time head north just a little bit... you won't regret it.

I make the LONG 35 minute drive from Ft Lauderdale all the time.

Lots of great info here, just what I was looking for. How about hotels over the holidays? Any beachfront recomendations or observations? 4 or 5 star?

Sea ya

Sasquatch:
Lots of great info here, just what I was looking for. How about hotels over the holidays? Any beachfront recomendations or observations? 4 or 5 star?

Sea ya

In Key Largo? We like the Sheraton - http://www.keylargoresort.com/

Vtdiver2:
Me too...that's why I'm flying into Ft Lauderdale....Jet Blue had a great rate. BTW, if you can fly Jet Blue, it's worth paying a bit more, they RULE!
I'm diving with Abyss Divers in Marathon. Checked your friend's site, but got good reviews about Abyss, and their lodging/diving deal couldn't be beat.
C-Dawg

Definately Jetblue!! That is all we will fly, 80.00 round trip to Ft.Lauderdale from JFK, cant beat it... My wife and I are headed to Key Largo on Feb 5th and spending the week diving with Rainbow Reef, Hope to spend some time on the Speigel Grove.... Sounds like it is going to be a popular week for New Englanders in the Keys, while all of the natives are hiding from the "cold" water...

cbsaw:
Definately Jetblue!! That is all we will fly, 80.00 round trip to Ft.Lauderdale from JFK, cant beat it... My wife and I are headed to Key Largo on Feb 5th and spending the week diving with Rainbow Reef, Hope to spend some time on the Speigel Grove.... Sounds like it is going to be a popular week for New Englanders in the Keys, while all of the natives are hiding from the "cold" water...
Dude, we are flying in on the 4th...we'll definitely have to hook up and have a beer. PM me and we can set it up
C-Dawg

Vtdiver2:
Dude, we are flying in on the 4th...we'll definitely have to hook up and have a beer. PM me and we can set it up
C-Dawg

Super Bowl Conch Party?

howarde:
Super Bowl Conch Party?
Now THAT sounds like a great idea.....watching the PATRIOTS beat the NFC champs for another Superbowl championship.....let's set it up!!!! Who else wants in???
BTW, I have tix to go watch the Pats play the Bucs this weekend in Foxboro with one of my dive buddies that is going to the Keys in Feb too.
C-Dawg

Lisa0825:
How is it getting TO the Keys? What city do you fly into? Is there transportation to the Keys hotels from the airport, or would I need to rent a car? I've been considering going there in January as well.
Singles trip 12/25 - 1/1 -- we're flying in to Ft Lauderdale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom