Question Key Largo or Key West Diving in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’m thinking of heading out to Key Largo or Key West next week but the waves look to be 5’+ ft January 23-25… that’s as far as the forecast shows. Any boat captains have thoughts on what to expect I’ll likely head back Jan 29. Is it worth coming? Will it simmer down? Was thinking of going with RR dive shop.

The diving is much better in Key Largo but the culture up there sux0rs, essentially a Miami suburb. The culture in Key West is fun, but the diving is so-so.....at best.

we are in key largo now, got here in late december and will be here till first week of march. we are diving out of tavernier with conch republic divers. great people to dive with. not a cattle boat and hold hands with a dive master operation. they dive more of the south end reefs, good lobstering, spearfishing, sightseeing and wreck diving. i prefer the upper keys, more laid back, people are friendly here. its our third year diving with them. also if you like you can volunteer with ICARE out of islamorada either planting coral or coral maintenance. conch republic hosts them . great fun!

The seas in the area vary from day to day, and there's no way to predict what days will be good or bad. I dove Key Largo two weeks ago, and Saturday was a stormy disaster, while Sunday was smooth as glass. Forecasts going out a week are often unreliable unless there is a known major system coming along.

As for location, the question is whether you are OK with being 100% focused on diving or are looking for more. Key Largo is basically a highway that has lots of good diving around it. Key West has less diving but more fun things to do.

If you do choose Key Largo, I'd recommend checking out Horizon Divers or Conch Republic. Rainbow Reef is a good dive business, but on busy days, it can be a high-volume cattle boat operation. Check out my link before for more guidance on diving the area.

I dunno. We sure had fun diving with you out of Cudjoe Key.
It was a Hoot!

Weatherwise, Jan is not the ideal time of the year for diving the keys. There are nice days, but they are fewer than in the summer.

Appreciate everyone’s responses. I’m using windy to check the wave forecast but agree it’s not that accurate 10 days out. Will likely make a last minute decision. 👍

we are in key largo now, got here in late december and will be here till first week of march. we are diving out of tavernier with conch republic divers. great people to dive with. not a cattle boat and hold hands with a dive master operation. they dive more of the south end reefs, good lobstering, spearfishing, sightseeing and wreck diving. i prefer the upper keys, more laid back, people are friendly here. its our third year diving with them. also if you like you can volunteer with ICARE out of islamorada either planting coral or coral maintenance. conch republic hosts them . great fun!
I wish I seen this before going to Key Largo last week and being disappointed with my diving experience there.

Appreciate everyone’s responses. I’m using windy to check the wave forecast but agree it’s not that accurate 10 days out. Will likely make a last minute decision. 👍
Conditions are forecasted to be so sloppy that it's probably accurate enough at this point. Where I watch closely is when there's a day or two between sloppy days forecasted out as the forecast can shift forwards or back a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom