Key Largo January ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825:
How is it getting TO the Keys? What city do you fly into? Is there transportation to the Keys hotels from the airport, or would I need to rent a car? I've been considering going there in January as well.

Also, I have read that the Keys are not the best place for a new diver, because you are mostly on your own there, not being "toured" by a DM like in Cozumel. Any input on that? I'm a total newbie with no buddy and would be willing to pay extra for the service if needed.
Try flying into Ft Lauderdale, it's normally cheaper than Miami, and not that much further. I'm going down Feb 4th for a week with some buddies. We're renting a couple of cars and have charters arranged with shops in Key Largo and Marathon.
C-Dawg

Have flown into both Ft Lauderdale and Miami - takes about 40 minutes more from Ft Lauderdale - but the drive is the same - head west to the FL Turnpike and go south to the Keys.

We go to whichever one has the cheapest airfare.

TN Traveler:
Our boat captain will dive with you - his wife will man the boat. Last spring I dove with him one day - my wife and stepson snorkeled. The next day, I dove solo and he just kept an eye on my bubbles from the tower on the boat.

I found that there is so much going on in the shallow water (less than 25') that you don't have to move far to see alot - and air becomes limiting.

Cool! What is the name of the company? I'll be deciding in the next week or so whether/where to book, and Florida is looking more likely lately.

Here is his web page and contact information. The Web page has all the information about his operation.

http://www.captainmorgansdive.com/index.html

captainmorgan@bellsouth.net

1-888-986-DIVE

He can also get you a reduced rate at the resort/hotel he works our of. Plus if you book him for 3 days or more of diving - you get a discounted rate.

Best of all - he is a really nice person.

Tell him "Michael fro TN" sent you.

Plus using Marathon as your base - it is only a short drive south to Looe Key or north to Key Largo - so you can see/dive other areas on the Keys, if you want to.

TN Traveler:
Here is his web page and contact information. The Web page has all the information about his operation.

http://www.captainmorgansdive.com/index.html

captainmorgan@bellsouth.net

1-888-986-DIVE

He can also get you a reduced rate at the resort/hotel he works our of. Plus if you book him for 3 days or more of diving - you get a discounted rate.

Best of all - he is a really nice person.

Tell him "Michael fro TN" sent you.

Plus using Marathon as your base - it is only a short drive south to Looe Key or north to Key Largo - so you can see/dive other areas on the Keys, if you want to.

Thanks so much for all the info!:)

TN Traveler:
Have flown into both Ft Lauderdale and Miami - takes about 40 minutes more from Ft Lauderdale - but the drive is the same - head west to the FL Turnpike and go south to the Keys.

We go to whichever one has the cheapest airfare.
Me too...that's why I'm flying into Ft Lauderdale....Jet Blue had a great rate. BTW, if you can fly Jet Blue, it's worth paying a bit more, they RULE!
I'm diving with Abyss Divers in Marathon. Checked your friend's site, but got good reviews about Abyss, and their lodging/diving deal couldn't be beat.
C-Dawg

I go along with what TN Traveler said about staying somewhere in the middle of the Keys. Noobs get the best bang for the reef diving buck on Looe Key IMHO. You absolutely MUST have seafood at one of the fish markets, Key Lime Pie and Cuban Coffee somewhere in Key West and get on the dock at Mallory Square for sunset. After that drink your way at least part-way down Duval. You might also consider a studio apartment as a base camp so you can cook your own breakfast and be on the boat early. We have stayed lots of places the length of the chain, find a place in the middle of the Keys and drive to either end if you want. FWIW the Everglades is starting to open up again after hurricanes this season. The Sea Of Grass is fascinating in it's own right, just don't stand on a 'gator, they don't take that very well.
Discount dive shops are just off the freeway on the way down from FLL all the way to Florida City. Key Largo used to have a big discount dive shop but I didn't see it last time I drove by.
Who else has some advice?

Vtdiver2:
Me too...that's why I'm flying into Ft Lauderdale....Jet Blue had a great rate. BTW, if you can fly Jet Blue, it's worth paying a bit more, they RULE!
I'm diving with Abyss Divers in Marathon. Checked your friend's site, but got good reviews about Abyss, and their lodging/diving deal couldn't be beat.
C-Dawg

I have not heard anything bad about Abyss. Doug Morgan takes great care of the divers and I enjoy his boat - fast, stable and lots of room for the maximum of 6 divers Plus my wife likes a nicer place to stay. And staying right where the boat docks makes it real easy - especially for me hauling 2 sets of gear around ... lol

We fly AirTran, out of Atlanta - cheapest fare was to Miami - this time - next trip, who knows???

6 weks and counting (and can hardly wait) - dive trips are more fun than Xmas ... :wink:

TN Traveler:
6 weks and counting (and can hardly wait) - dive trips are more fun than Xmas ... :wink:
I hear ya....59 days til my trip, but who's counting:cheers:
C-Dawg

Heading south from here also the end of January (25-31). But flying into W. Palm which is little further north yet than Ft Lauderdale. Will be staying in Lake Worth and diving out of Boyntan Beach and may try a run down to Largo (a 1 hr 55 min drive @ 4:30am)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom