Key Largo January ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Gilpin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have searched the board as best I can but I'm unable to find info on early January dive conditions in Key Largo. I thought some of you Conch Divers might be willing to help out. Key largo is on my list of never been, must go, locations. Is January a good (not necessarily the best) time to visit?

My son and I will be going with two other experienced divers. Our past experience has been split between Northern California and warmer waters in Catalina, Mexico and elsewhere.

The following conditions would make the trip worthwhile to us:

VIZ 40+
Water temp 68+
Air Temp 70+
Shallow diving is fine
Seas not so rough as to be miserble.

I realize conditions are variable but are the above conditions likely or unlikely. Southwest has their $99 dollar special going on right now so I have to decide early not knowing exact conditions.

Keep in mind that we are accustomed to Monterey CA dive conditions so we are not super picky. One plus would be if lobster season is open or some or seasonal attraction is going then.

Info from dive shop owners etc appreciated but please disclose so I can consider using your services.

Thanks in advance. I would really appreciate any advice you have to offer. If you need any CA advice feel free to ask.

Brian

Brian,

GO! You'll have a good time. Molassas Reef is really great.. world class reef. The Spiegel Grove is a great dive too. Been down there in January and Feb. Good viz, Water temp about 70 or so (warmer than the 55 I had in October when I went to Anacapa!), Air temp will very much depend on if a cold front comes thru. It could be 60F or almost 80F. Lots of dive shops down at Key Largo. For a pretty good list of shops there.. check out:
http://www.flkeysdiveshops.com/ukdiveshops/ukdiveshopindex.cfm

I have been out with the folks inside Pennekamp Park, they tend to always go to Molassas. Yeah, it is a cattle boat, but, the staff always seem nice enough. And at only $41 (+ gear), not a bad deal for a 2 tanker.

I am not the best underwater photographer by any stretch... but... you can get a little idea oh what you may see by taking a peek at some pictures I took.
http://community.webshots.com/album/83836383rUGePa

Hope you enjoy your trip.
Cheers,
Bill

Brian Gilpin once bubbled...
I have searched the board as best I can but I'm unable to find info on early January dive conditions in Key Largo. I thought some of you Conch Divers might be willing to help out. Key largo is on my list of never been, must go, locations. Is January a good (not necessarily the best) time to visit?

My son and I will be going with two other experienced divers. Our past experience has been split between Northern California and warmer waters in Catalina, Mexico and elsewhere.

VIZ 40+
Water temp 68+
Air Temp 70+
Shallow diving is fine

I realize conditions are variable but are the above conditions likely or unlikely. Southwest has their $99 dollar special going on right now so I have to decide early not knowing exact conditions.

Keep in mind that we are accustomed to Monterey CA dive conditions so we are not super picky. One plus would be if lobster season is open or some or seasonal attraction is going then.

Info from dive shop owners etc appreciated but please disclose so I can consider using your services.

Thanks in advance. I would really appreciate any advice you have to offer. If you need any CA advice feel free to ask.

Brian

DITTO what LAW5GUY said. I've been to Key Largo 5 times in last 2 years. Once in July and 2 times in each December & January.

Water temp in winter was about 72. (I went with a skin under a shorty and was fine.) Air temps were in the mid 80's for hi & 70's for lows 3 out of 4. 4th time it was a bone chilling 65 for hi and hi 40's for low. I think I hit an unusually large cold front that time. (Boat ride back was cold, but dive was comfortable.) Wave size just depends on wind direction and strength (of course). Unless it is really whipping, you can usually get out of dock and be in 3' or less category.

Hope you have fun. I hope to get down there again in Jan or Feb this year. I have probably been there 10 times or more and have yet to get tired of it!

Mike

I will be down there Jan. 2-8 and hoping for nice conditions. I dove it last month and the water was about 78 which was nice but the vis was around 30 feet or so. I am hoping for better vis in Jan. Does the water temp have anything to do with the visibility?

Brian Gilpin:

VIZ 40+
Water temp 68+
Air Temp 70+
Shallow diving is fine

Brian
One man's misery is another man's bliss! Keys seas can range from nada to "oh-my-god" during January, but I'm pretty sure that, as a west-coaster, you'll find winter conditions here acceptable. Come with a backup plan in case a scheduled day of diving gets blown-out. Key West and Everglades National Park are both worthy day-long diversions.

Lobster season is open thru March 31st. Some boats, ours included, allow lobstering and provide a license, while others don't. Inquire before you book to avoid misinformation and/or disappointment. Enjoy!

How is it getting TO the Keys? What city do you fly into? Is there transportation to the Keys hotels from the airport, or would I need to rent a car? I've been considering going there in January as well.

Also, I have read that the Keys are not the best place for a new diver, because you are mostly on your own there, not being "toured" by a DM like in Cozumel. Any input on that? I'm a total newbie with no buddy and would be willing to pay extra for the service if needed.

Fly into Miami and rent a car - that is the best way.

you can rent a car in Florida for less than $200 per week.

Having a car gives you lots of choices of dive operators and restaurants - and there are lots of good restaurants to choose from.

Great place for a new diver - relatively shallow reefs with lots to see. You can always find a buddy.

My wife and I will be there the end of January (25th - 31st) - she just got certified in September (12 dives to date) - we are using a small operator out of Marathon - he said the boat is not full - join us then and you can have a couple of buddies.

TN Traveler:
Fly into Miami and rent a car - that is the best way.

you can rent a car in Florida for less than $200 per week.

Having a car gives you lots of choices of dive operators and restaurants - and there are lots of good restaurants to choose from.

Great place for a new diver - relatively shallow reefs with lots to see.

Thanks for the info! Do you have any input on the DM comments I read elsewhere?

Anyone out there who went as a newbie and had a nice, attentive DM?:)

Our boat captain will dive with you - his wife will man the boat. Last spring I dove with him one day - my wife and stepson snorkeled. The next day, I dove solo and he just kept an eye on my bubbles from the tower on the boat.

I found that there is so much going on in the shallow water (less than 25') that you don't have to move far to see alot - and air becomes limiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom