Key largo dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lauratm:
Hi,

I'm heading down to Key Largo in October...

Thanks!

Be aware that dive operators are being recommended from all over the upper keys and that the operators tend to cover only "their" area. If you want to dive Key Largo, stay with a Key Largo operation and don't assume one from Tavenier will come up to John Pennekamp. The reverse is also true. Decide on any specific dives you want and then you can make sure the operator you choose will do that/those sites.

Scubastud16:
Last time I was on the "green" boat i believe. we had..lets see..16 or so?

When I asked, they said they would put 30 or so on each boat. Just not sure we want to take the risk that they're running full charters on the days we'll be there.

DiveMaven:
When I asked, they said they would put 30 or so on each boat. Just not sure we want to take the risk that they're running full charters on the days we'll be there.

well im doing the afternoon dives on saturday, i'll make sure to do a count for ya!

Originally Posted by DiveMaven

The boats will hold about 35 divers, and do get pretty full on weekends. However, we had 11 divers on the boat to the Spiegel Grove today (NO current, flat seas :lol: ), and we won't cancel a trip because there aren't enough divers. As long as two divers are signed up (cuz you need a buddy), the boat is going.

30 divers on a boat is a lot of divers. cleary flits the definition of 'cattle boat'.

That many divers almost raised safety concerns. That's a lot of divers to keep track of and if there was an accident, a lot of divers to recover before they could take a victum back to shore.

The worst crowding I've seen on a boat in the Keys was last year. We counted what seemed over 40 divers on one boat. there were so many we couldn't count them all.. Maybe some of them were snorklers, but a large percentage of them were divers.
I'm surprised the coast guard would have given them a certification for so many divers. What a shame too, because we thought it'd be a good place to stay and dive out of before we saw that "overcrowding"

mike_s:
30 divers on a boat is a lot of divers. cleary flits the definition of 'cattle boat'.

That many divers almost raised safety concerns. That's a lot of divers to keep track of and if there was an accident, a lot of divers to recover before they could take a victum back to shore.

The worst crowding I've seen on a boat in the Keys was last year. We counted what seemed over 40 divers on one boat. there were so many we couldn't count them all.. Maybe some of them were snorklers, but a large percentage of them were divers.
I'm surprised the coast guard would have given them a certification for so many divers. What a shame too, because we thought it'd be a good place to stay and dive out of before we saw that "overcrowding"

last time i was there, they were very good about briefing and pre/post dive role calls. they seemed to have their stuff in order. im not a fan of the steel tanks though!

deepstops:
When I asked her at the time what she'd been told, she said the cancellation policy was never mentioned. From the timing of things, I think she booked with the old owners while she had "the screws put to her" by the new owners.

BTW, you can always find out what a webpage used to say here: http://www.archive.org/web/web.php The wayback machine is a great tool.

I'm very happy to report my friend was fully refunded by Scuba Do and they apologized for the mix-up on the cancellation policy. :)

WyCal:
The boats will hold about 35 divers, and do get pretty full on weekends. However, we had 11 divers on the boat to the Spiegel Grove today (NO current, flat seas :lol: ), and we won't cancel a trip because there aren't enough divers. As long as two divers are signed up (cuz you need a buddy), the boat is going.

We're planning a trip for the end of June next year before we board the Nekton Pilot to the Bahamas. :D With that being the start of summer, schools being out, and at the very start of hurricane season, I'm afraid we're going to be faced with fuller boats than you've just experienced.

Brent (Blue Water Divers) has been recommended sooo highly on this board that it's not too tough of a choice to see what kind of a package he can put together for us. :blinking:

DiveMaven:
We're planning a trip for the end of June next year before we board the Nekton Pilot to the Bahamas. :D With that being the start of summer, schools being out, and at the very start of hurricane season, I'm afraid we're going to be faced with fuller boats than you've just experienced.

Brent (Blue Water Divers) has been recommended sooo highly on this board that it's not too tough of a choice to see what kind of a package he can put together for us. :blinking:

check out conch republic. i've heard fantastic things about them, and if i was going with someone else on their trip, i would have booked through them.

I've tried Silent World and Ocean Divers. I've also heard good comments on Quiescence from people I've dived with. Depends on what you're looking for, I think they are pretty good dive ops:
Silent World - cheaper, smaller boat (but no head) seating up to 6 divers (I think), not as friendly/involved. But great price on equipment (such as Oceanic) if you dive with them. AL 80 tanks.
Ocean Diver - slightly larger boat for up to 8 or so divers, 2 boats go out on weekend mornings, so you can pick shallow reef or wreck trips. A little friendlier crew. Steel tanks - one tank turned my regulator's filter brown (tank was probably corroded).
Dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom