Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly wouldn’t rely on this forum for accurate data of risk reward on Cozumel.
That’s a good point. Please list other sources so we can consider more information.

I certainly wouldn’t rely on this forum for accurate data of risk reward on Cozumel.
I agree. I would not rely on any single source of information. For anything.

I agree. I would not rely on any single source of information. For anything.
Especially an Internet forum.

That’s a good point. Please list other sources so we can consider more information.
If you need to rely on an Internet forum for sources of information I am not sure what to tell you.

If you need to rely on an Internet forum for sources of information I am not sure what to tell you.
So are there local sources we should be reading for information on scooter accidents (or lack thereof)? I can read Spanish.

So are there local sources we should be reading for information on scooter accidents (or lack thereof)? I can read Spanish.

Certainly look into records with Cozumel. They might not be complete, but would be much better than speculating on the internet. If you are unable to research accurate information then I would suggest not commenting.

Certainly look into records with Cozumel. They might not be complete, but would be much better than speculating on the internet. If you are unable to research accurate information then I would suggest not commenting.
The only evidence I have is anecdotal but it's not nothing. The people at the ER on Cozumel a few years ago (when we took my brother in to be sewed up after his second scooter accident) told us that scooter crashes are the most common cause of ER visits by vacationing gringos. In my circle of friends and acquaintances four people have been in serious accidents on motos in Mexico; one of them (my dentist) was killed and another (the son of a friend of mine) will live with the effects of the crash for the rest of his life. One of them (a charter fishing boat captain) is a Cozumel native who has been driving motos on the island for many years; he was nearly killed but he recovered.

Agreed. I'd like to see a link to such, because this thread might be found by others researching the topic in the future.

Internet forums can be a fine way of getting information on a topic, if we remain mindful of their inherent strengths and limitations, and apply that understanding to the actual content generated. In a thread on this forum on Cozumel, one may see content from people who've been to Cozumel, some multiple times, who live (or have lived) on Cozumel, who have social contacts who've lived (and in some cases been injured) there, etc... It's a good way to network with other people, and then the questioner can decide for him/herself what credence to place in the results.

This is all the more so when discussing a topic for which there's no clear reason to think the government or other entities would publicize results on the Internet (e.g.: scooter accident and injury rates, which could discourage tourist spending on them) in a country most of us aren't in right now, where English isn't the first language.

How would you go about collecting info. and draw conclusions on the issue?

Not everyone on this thread is in agreement, and your process might be helpful to some, now and in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom