K01 vs Waterproof H1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s not a long bib, tucks into my warm neck on my nova suit and sits nicely over the next seal on the neoprene suit, some hoods have really long bibs that reach out onto the shoulders, this isn’t like that.

Would you suggest the 5/7 or 7/10 (or maybe it was a 5/10?) H1?

I use the 5/10 and I’m pretty happy with it, I’ll likely replace it with the same when the time comes.

I think that's what I'm leaning towards, especially since I have a ~ 6mm already.

Are you happy with their HAV system? One huge complaint I have now with my current hood is that even though it's vented it still fills with air. I've heated nails and made more holes, it still does it. It's just one small hole (that I keep making a little bigger).

I got surgery on my sinuses last year and ever since tend to breath out of my nose a little more than usual.... at least I can breath though.

I think that's what I'm leaning towards, especially since I have a ~ 6mm already.

Are you happy with their HAV system? One huge complaint I have now with my current hood is that even though it's vented it still fills with air. I've heated nails and made more holes, it still does it. It's just one small hole (that I keep making a little bigger).

I got surgery on my sinuses last year and ever since tend to breath out of my nose a little more than usual.... at least I can breath though.

I've been very happy with the HAV system on the Waterproof H1 hoods. They "cone head" far less than any other hoods I've ever used. This is one reason I own 3 of them.

I use K01's and love them. I have the 7mm, 5mm hoods and the 5mm gloves. I normally use the 5mm here in the Great Lakes year round because it is that warm. The gloves will last about two 30 min dives in 41 degree water if you happen to forget your dry gloves.

I use K01's and love them. I have the 7mm, 5mm hoods and the 5mm gloves. I normally use the 5mm here in the Great Lakes year round because it is that warm. The gloves will last about two 30 min dives in 41 degree water if you happen to forget your dry gloves.

Not really interested in the gloves. I love my dry gloves. My hands would hurt so bad after 30-40 minutes and the dexterity of wet gloves suck.

Do the K01 have a venting system like the H1's? The HAV system on the H1's "looks" top notch.

On occasion I feel air go into the hood but it seems to vent fine so I don’t really think about it, any hood made for the coldest use will vent slowly so you don’t feel the cold spot when it’s not venting, a good fit around the face is the best defense.

On occasion I feel air go into the hood but it seems to vent fine so I don’t really think about it, any hood made for the coldest use will vent slowly so you don’t feel the cold spot when it’s not venting, a good fit around the face is the best defense.

With my current hood I have to look / lean down to get it to vent. It sucks. I keep making the hole bigger, but it still isn't great.

Not really interested in the gloves. I love my dry gloves. My hands would hurt so bad after 30-40 minutes and the dexterity of wet gloves suck.

Do the K01 have a venting system like the H1's? The HAV system on the H1's "looks" top notch.
I believe there are tiny holes at the top, but I have never really noticed anything "off" with venting. I normally let a little water into the hood as I descend to get it to warm up throughout the dive.

I own both the Waterproof H1 5/10mm and K01 8mm. They're both great hoods; I have a lot of sub 40f (36-39f/2-4c) dives with both of them. I think you'd be happy with either.

I owned the Waterproof H1 hood first but I haven't really used it since switching to the K01. I have a brand new Waterproof hood sitting in my bin as backup hood if that tells you anything. I'm currently on my 2nd K01 hood. I just find them more comfortable than the Waterproof hood. The neoprene is more stretchy and form fitting. The Waterproof one does vent a little better but the K01 has a tiny pinhole in the top that does vent, albeit slowly.

One important thing to note that a lot of people seem to overlook is that you should replace your hood after couple diving seasons especially if you're doing a lot of deeper diving. I typically replace mine after 2 seasons and retire them to warm water hoods until they rip enough and then they get tossed. I see a lot of people on boats with 5 year old hoods.

The difference between my 2 year old K01 hood (lots of 100-200ft+ dives on it) is amazing. The batteries in my digital caliper are dead but you get the idea here. Left is a 2 year old K01 8mm hood (maybe ~250 dives) and the one on the right is brand new with maybe 5 dives on it. Be careful with sharp finger nails and pulling on the seams of the K01 hood. They can tear more easily than other hoods.

IMG_20210407_134135701.jpg IMG_20210407_134222679.jpg

IMG_20210407_134314645.jpg
IMG_20210407_134347816.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom