K01 vs Waterproof H1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
In the market for a new hood. It might be a month or 2 before I pull the trigger, but I'm looking for anyone who's maybe had both? It's scary to think of dropping $150 on a hood, but I don't want to go forward without knowing all my options either.

I can't find if either is made from compressed neo? Does it compress at depth? I know the H1 vents (and everyone who dives it likes it a lot). Does the K01 vent?

The H1 I believe I'm in for a 5/7mm where as the K01 I'd be looking at an 8mm.

My current hood is a Northen Diver hood that came with my drysuit. It's 6.5mm I think. It's ok, my head doesn't feel cold but it doesn't vent well and it just seems thinner than other hoods I've had.

Any suggestions welcome.

You know my opinion, but I will share it for everyone else.
I am comparing the 10mm waterproof to the 8mm K01.
For pure warmth, they are the same. They are both extremely warm hoods that do well in cold water.
Warm per dollar, the waterproof wins.

The K01 is just as warm, but super comfortable. It is the softest neoprene I have ever felt. It is also extremely stretchy. These two things together make it an incredibly comfortable hood.
It is very much a luxury item, you are comparing Toyota to Lexus and Honda to Acura. Both do the same job, one does it with more comfort and that comes with a higher price tag.

The K01 has a vent but sometimes when I am shallow (around 10 feet or less) it does conehead on me a bit. Not really an issue in Florida caves or openwater, but it got mildly annoying in some cenotes where it got shallow.

I don't have enough dives on my K01, but I have seen one after 200 dives and it got crushed quite a bit. Word is that the 8mm has less of an issue, but it might just crush to the thickness that we need for our water temps.

Overall I like mine, but I can't really compare it to other hoods, as I've hated all the others I've tried. So I never dove them much.

K01 didn’t fit me at all. My 7mm Waterproof non-bibbed, on the other hand, fits like a glove.

Would also add a 12mm Otter Bay to your search/consideration list.

Yes Sir, I'm open to any suggestions. I don't need to pull the trigger now that it's summer, but I'd like to get one for fall / winter. I've always leaned towards the H1, seems like good price and everyone seems happy.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

I own three Waterproof H1s. They are the best hoods I've ever owned. I'm not diving cold water these days but my 10/5 worked fantastically well in the Great Lakes. I would use the 7/5 later in the season when I wasn't always in 40 degree water. Down here in Florida if I'm not wearing my Sharkskin hooded vest I wear my H1 5/3 until the water gets into the low 80s. At that point I switch to a lycra warm water hood.

How do you guys get over the bib on the thicker hoods in a drysuit? Bibs drive me crazy. I believe the H1 5/7mm comes bibless, but the thicker ones do not.

I own three Waterproof H1s. They are the best hoods I've ever owned. I'm not diving cold water these days but my 10/5 worked fantastically well in the Great Lakes. I would use the 7/5 later in the season when I wasn't always in 40 degree water. Down here in Florida if I'm not wearing my Sharkskin hooded vest I wear my H1 5/3 until the water gets into the low 80s. At that point I switch to a lycra warm water hood.

My current hood is a 6.5mm... diving it in 39F for an hour or more. I think it's time to get something better:). My head never "feels" cold, but my hands get cold at about the ~ 45 min mark and I've read if your head is cold your body can draw from the extremities to warm the head / core.

It is correct that the head looses relatively more heat in comparison to the rest of the body. Thus, the lose of heat from the rest of the body when the head is cold.

How do you guys get over the bib on the thicker hoods in a drysuit? Bibs drive me crazy. I believe the H1 5/7mm comes bibless, but the thicker ones do not.

My current hood is a 6.5mm... diving it in 39F for an hour or more. I think it's time to get something better:). My head never "feels" cold, but my hands get cold at about the ~ 45 min mark and I've read if your head is cold your body can draw from the extremities to warm the head / core.
It’s not a long bib, tucks into my warm neck on my nova suit and sits nicely over the next seal on the neoprene suit, some hoods have really long bibs that reach out onto the shoulders, this isn’t like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom