Just quit smoking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garyra:
Hi everyone,

This is the first time that I have posted in this forum, but thought you all might be some help. I started dive master class a few weeks ago and during some of my studies, I ran across the reason that it took for me to quit smoking. The risk of DCI is just too high for me. I either had to quit smoking or diving and I just couldn't stand the idea of not diving. I smoked my last ciggarette 08/04. My birthday is 08/05 so I figured I would give it to myself as a birthday present.

One of my concerns is that I am currently at 240 lbs and about 6'2". I have a large frame but would like to get down to about 200 lbs. I know that even if I don't change my eating habits, I will gain at least 10 -15 lbs because Smoking increasies caloric consumption. That means that I am going to have to start dieting just to maintain my weight.

I am also wanting to increase my Stamina and Cardio. I haven't taken the swiming tests for DM yet but the 400 yd swim really intimidates me. I am hoping that it will also help my air consumption. I am tired of being the first one to run out of air.

Any advice and/or support would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Gary, Good for you on the quitting smoking. I quit just last June when I took up scuba for the first time. I told myself then that I finaly found something I want more tham smoking. It's now time to get into some kind of shape other than round. That's where my problem will lie.

Good luck!
jafo123

rainbowangel:
Hi!

My hardest times has been on breaks/lunches at work. I used to go have a smoke... for the first few days I was like "What the heck do I do??"

I can definately relate to the "what do I do now?" question. What I have done is taken up darts again. Now on my breaks, I play darts instead of smoking. This gives me somehting to do with my hands and gets me away from my desk for a while as well.

So far so good. It has been 2 weeks today! :dazzler1:

I was a two pack a day baby....finding something else to do besides smoke was a problem...also realizing I smoked more when I was bored was eye-opening.

I don't wake up coughing anymore...food tastes the same...I never had a problem tasting food. Just a few months ago I also cut out caffeine - wow no more headaches. Very cool!

Best of luck....remember - that "one smoke" after quitting is the one that will get you started again.

For those wanting to quit I've always believed you have to be 100% ready and willing to put in the effort otherwise it doesn't work. I don't believe in taking drugs to quit - I figure why trade in one for another addiction - I needed to do it on my own.

Garyra:
Hi everyone,

This is the first time that I have posted in this forum, but thought you all might be some help. I started dive master class a few weeks ago and during some of my studies, I ran across the reason that it took for me to quit smoking. The risk of DCI is just too high for me. I either had to quit smoking or diving and I just couldn't stand the idea of not diving. I smoked my last ciggarette 08/04. My birthday is 08/05 so I figured I would give it to myself as a birthday present.

One of my concerns is that I am currently at 240 lbs and about 6'2". I have a large frame but would like to get down to about 200 lbs. I know that even if I don't change my eating habits, I will gain at least 10 -15 lbs because Smoking increasies caloric consumption. That means that I am going to have to start dieting just to maintain my weight.

I am also wanting to increase my Stamina and Cardio. I haven't taken the swiming tests for DM yet but the 400 yd swim really intimidates me. I am hoping that it will also help my air consumption. I am tired of being the first one to run out of air.

Any advice and/or support would be greatly appreciated.

I too am trying to get rid of the demons. I only smoke when I drink, and I smoke two packs a day. Just kidding. Discipline, Discipline, Discipline. If you enjoy diving more than smoking, then you already have your motivator. How good do you want to be? Set your mind to do it. Habits are hard to break. You can do it Waterboy. Diving sure gives me a bigger thrill than smoking, but I can't do both. Can't dribble a basketball with a cigarette in your hand. You make the choice.

Great job. You will:

1. Be healthier
2. Live longer
3. Enjoy the longer life in better health
4. SCUBA longer
5. Not annoy EVERYONE with your smokey smell and ashes
6. Not annoy YOURSELF with your smokey smell and ashes
7. Not have ashes in your car, your house, your butt
8. Kiss better

I am at 3 years. My father in law just passed away from smoking related cancer. It was pretty brutal.

I used Nicorette. Worked quite well for me.

I wouldn't worry about the weight too much right now. Try to focus on the smoking. After a few months try to start a low impact exercise program (get a dog and take it for regular walks, or something along those lines). From there you can start doing 15 min of cardio 3 x a week. Work into it easy.

Best luck, and we are all rooting for you!

Mark

mweitz:
Great job. You will:

1. Be healthier
2. Live longer
3. Enjoy the longer life in better health
4. SCUBA longer
5. Not annoy EVERYONE with your smokey smell and ashes
6. Not annoy YOURSELF with your smokey smell and ashes
7. Not have ashes in your car, your house, your butt
8. Kiss better

I am at 3 years. My father in law just passed away from smoking related cancer. It was pretty brutal.

I used Nicorette. Worked quite well for me.

I wouldn't worry about the weight too much right now. Try to focus on the smoking. After a few months try to start a low impact exercise program (get a dog and take it for regular walks, or something along those lines). From there you can start doing 15 min of cardio 3 x a week. Work into it easy.

Best luck, and we are all rooting for you!

Mark

Ditto on this. I'm no doctor, but, you know your own body and I've known people that have quit a lot of bad habits. If you are hard core at any bad habit, cold turkey might not be the way to go, but, I quit smoking AND drinking at the same time. Thankfully I had a good suport group to help me through it. We can be this support group if thats what you desire. Discipline, Discipline, Discipline. You can conquer this demon. Let us help.

It has almost been 4 weeks now since my last smoke! There have been several rough times, but I just keep using the same tricks that helped me get off drugs and drink 15 years ago. I am horrible about procrastinating at times. I use this in my favor. I simply tell myself that I can smoke if I still want to tomorrow. Of course by the time tomorrow gets here, the urge is gone.

i've managed to stop for over a week now. trick? hmm, well i used to smoke when i was bored, after meals and with alcohol.

when bored and wanting to smoke, i try to give myself something to do like go out, change rooms, anything.

after meals i try to ignore or take nicotin chewing gum.

haven't had alcohol yet since quitting, will see.

Back
Top Bottom