JUST FOR GIRLS: Do you feel creeped out when...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that this would make me uncomfortable. Being part of a gender minority in any sport can be difficult. I've faced similar situations outside this board (mostly because I'm a newer board member). I don't just ignore it, block them, or walk away from it. I let them know that their behavior is making me uncomfortable. If you don't, it's likely they'll continue similar behavior with other women. It's also possible they get all defensive and rude, which I then would block/walk away.

I could be wrong, but the demographic for the average diver is a middle-aged male. So for a young guy finding a single attractive woman his own age group and location, it is like finding a unicorn. So naturally he wants to make contact. It is has been a long time since I was 21, but isn't that what 20 somethings do now? Text each other? Friend each other on Facebook?

If it made her feel uncomfortable than those are her feelings and she has the right to them (maybe she has had some bad / traumatic experiences).

I don't know where you dive but you are certainly not a gender minority when it comes to diving. Women divers have existed in the public eye for a long long time - Val Taylor was out there getting chewed on by sharks early in the 70s. There's a women divers HOF have a look there. None of us are breaking gender barriers these days, done long ago. I've done 3 LOBs where there were more women on the boat than men. I think the answers to this thread and the amount of responses from women might be a clue. DItto gear - hard to find? Oh seriously, I think your exaggerating here - my gear all happens to be womens - tbh I get sick of the pink flowery stuff cluttering up the racks. I don't dive to impress anyone, I dive for my own enjoyment. I dont need to advertise my gender nor do I think it matters to all. Yes sure I've been hit on by guys on boats - like I've been hit on by guys while playing music, while lecturing, while grocery shopping, even once while being extracted from a car wreck by the paramedic :D - I have not developed any "issues" from this harassment.

If we took the attitude She/He may have had some bad experience we may as well stop talking to everyone in case we mistakenly touch a nerve that sends them into a foetal position.

Last edited:
even once while being extracted from a car wreck by the paramedic :D
@ All : Disclaimer: This is not a hit!
@ Wingy:
On the one side: Ouch!
On the other side: An image of a wonderful and "battle hardened" diver with a lot of common sense begins to form...

My first thought was that as a 57 year old female I haven't gotten unwanted attention in a long time, so maybe I can't relate. But then I started to wonder "if the person who has been communicating with the OP was female - but had written exactly the same words - would it have felt like stalking and/or threatening behavior?". That said, I think we (women AND men) should always trust our 'spidey sense' and avoid anyone we feel creeped out by. I'm from the midwest but lived in Connecticut for 16 years. The first 4 years were hell because in the midwest we're very open, very quickly. In CT I had to learn that the stuff I normally share in the first 15 minutes of conversation would be considered 'over-sharing' in CT. The way we communicate is shaped by a lot of outside influences (including gender & culture).

So ... follow your gut, and be prepared to backpedal if you bump into this person on a dive boat someday and discover they're harmless and amazing! :)

By the way, this issue never ends. At 54 and married, I got massively hit on my last trip to Florida by young guys, but as my daughter pointed out, they're just looking for "Sugar Mammas" with retirement portfolios. Not me!
But here on Scubaboard I feel safer than anywhere else.

Last edited:
she ( the OP ) disappeared after her first message so I am inclined to think it's a troll.

Beyond that - I take it she's never been on a dive boat for 3 days in Mexico, Spain or Italy shooting fish with a boat full of men and 3 gorgeous Spanish women.

she ( the OP ) disappeared after her first message so I am inclined to think it's a troll.

You really shouldn't be so judgmental. She was a new member that had over 20 posts before starting this thread. She was probably scared off because people were complaining that she listed (since removed) the diver's name that contacted her. She also deleted her photo. It is a shame really.

If this is the extent of it, I believe that your publishing his name here or even bringing this up in public is most terrible and vicious. Although there is nothing alarming about "like," "follow" or even asking somebody to go diving here on a "SCUBA" board in this context but if you felt threatened or simply didn't want to communicate with the person, you could have just disassociated yourself from him by the options available on SB or discretely reported him to the management on SB without having to put his name in public like you just did. It appears to be uncalled for and very mean.

OT: Years ago I volunteered at an orphanage in Guatemala for a couple weeks. The punishment the children hated the most was to tell all the other kids what they did wrong.

Well, OP should bear some heat for doing what she did (listing name publicly), if she can't take that in civilized forum like this one, she's in for a big surprises in life. Never saw her avatar, so can't comment.
One thing I didn't like from OP was "girls only". Not all of us think with our "little ones" all of the time, some of us are actually decent human beings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom