Jupiter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first off, sorry for being late to the boat.. will get up at 3am the next time. my buddy George and I saw LOTS of lobsters at least 12 on the first dive and about 20 on the second, neither of us had lobster gear or a license soo we waved to them,. vis was bad, 20 feet?? if that?? flat seas, second dive waited for george to clear his ears, by the time he was down the rest had gone on. so just george and I saw the bugs. sorry. no big fish but great day in the water.

Not the best diving conditions but not the worse either.

Mild north current, 20 or less vis. We swam around in a thermocline that went from 81 degrees to 68 degress. It was wierd as the visible layer of water layed in the valleys (trenches) of the reef. I am inclined to also think this was a less saline layer or something. The Sea life were nowhere to be seen for the most part.

ARROW CRABS everywhere I have never seen so many arrow crabs in Jupiter.

PM Dives we had a nice nurse shark meander by. I was diving with a recently rertired Ranger (army) Three active Marines, and another Military Retiree of which branch I am not sure.

We seperated from the DM and went down the ledge. My buddy (Ranger Mike) Who was diving a Ranger BC, was REALLY wanting to catch a loster. I wiggled into a cavern and saw a spotted loster in the roof. I wiggled (bang scrape) and could amost reach him but then thought.. Hmmm here I am with a pickup buddy, i do not have the proper gear and I am wiggiling into this hole.. SO I backed out and left him alone.

LAter I swam into a larger cavern and ran into a turtle backing out. I swam out and pointed to the other divers.... "Look, There" out comes a largish turtle. They were happy.

Second drop the captain told us he would put us on his Top Secret lobster grounds. We decend onto literally FOUR (4) losters. I had been educating Ranger Mike of the various techniques of loster catching.

The first one we tickled... prodded.. and carefully manuvered up into a hole under the reef which came out somewhere in Brooklyn. The second one I swam up to from behind and used the "Strike Like a Cobra" technique that seems to work for me. I measured him and he was way good. I put him in Mikes bag and I left it with him to enjoy as I am sure somewere, sometime he smoked some #$%@@##$ in the name of freedom and giving him a loster is literally the least I can do.

The thermocline came and went on the fourth dive of the day. I had the choice of a full three or a full 7. Tough to say which would have been the better choice but luckily Ranger Mike was diving Nitrox Tables so we had shorter dives and I did not freeze off anything I wish to keep.

My next dives are going to be down south wrecks. I am kinda Reef'd out for awhile, other than of course $4.00 beach dives for losters.

Orlando Eric:
I am kinda Reef'd out for awhile, other than of course $4.00 beach dives for losters.

So let's go! Remember, "finders keepers"!

Debby - But for me to dive in your loster grounds it would cost me a $4.00 airfill plus $35.00 in fuel cost. Plus if it was a weekend I'd have to pay $60.00 for a hotel. I can diver here MUCH cheaper.

Plus after the tropical storm has passed I can dive for patio furtniture, BBQ grills, Stop Signs (jenny) and 1715 Plate Fleet GoLD!

Hey Eric, I didn't say it was worth a trip down here just for a beach dive, but next time you're in the area let us know...:14:

Just came back from the beach. Not as dramatic as Katrina or Rita, but still pretty cool. Would love to find a stop sign again! And Eric, you know that you have a couch here to sleep on. Heck take us out to dinner, and you still will pay less than a hotel room! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom