Scuba Works in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Works has been around for years. They do not seem to allow rebreathers on their boat even diving recreational profiles. So that leaves me out.

They are definitely not new. There was an ownership change recently (last year or the year before?).

Any experience with?
As a shop in a very competitive county, you don't stay in business for over 20 years if you don't make your divers happy. I also regularly use SW. They dive alittle deeper (85-95) than some others, there is hunting, but you've been on JDC also. The boat is 1st off the dock at 7:50-8am sharp, but also you are back by noonish. Yep>they got steels, & rentals plus DM's in the water to guide you. Capt Tony @30+ yrs at the helm knows every inch as well as quick+efficient diver pickups. Food at their dock is great + the yacht views. IMHO>I like both JDC/SW equally. My personal only booking decision choice between JDC & SW is who the other passengers are on the boat and where it's going. I'm a harvester and many of the SW passengers are EXCELLENT hunters/divers and they just don't miss. I'd rather dive with a full boat of students>less competition. One tip with SW- The boat & shop are NOT at the same location like JDC. Call/stop the day before and make sure paperwork, tanks, rentals, everything is correct on your manifest with them and you will have a very smooth boarding procedure,,, including them hauling all your gear each way from the parking lot to your boat seat, you don't have to carry it.

I was certified with SW over 10 years ago. My only knock on them for OW certification is that they don't do any boat dives as part of the OW certification. They do all dives at BHB, which might not prepare new divers enough. When I certified, my instructor told me to book a dive and let him know so he could be there.

I was recently chatting with one of their instructors at BHB and he confirmed that they do all the OW cert dives at BHB still.

As for the shop, the people, the services, the boat, etc, great dive op. I had the pleasure of Capt Tony showing up on a private boat I dive on and that guy knows how to catch lobster. They also do generous fills. Just don't arrive within an hour of closing as they might not have time to do your personal fills.

Captain Jeff at SW is a great captain too. Jeff is one of the best spear hunters in PBC and an all around great guy. Ask him about some of his underwater archeology work. Overall, SW is a good shop with a good crew but Jeff makes that’s boat great.

Four OW cert dives at BHB is entirely inadequate. What happened to you are able to dive in your local environment? Most of the diving in PBC is drift diving by boat. I see OW students all the time doing dive 3+4 off a boat.

I got certified with SW. I was aware that the dives at BHB wouldn't give me any experience with greater depths, but it was inexpensive and SW also included a coupon for a 2 tank boat dive, so I knew I'd get that deeper drift dive experience too, supervised by a dive master in the water.
As it turned out, due to a canceled day of instruction, my instructor got me on a boat dive for my final OW dive, and I got to dive with my new OW cert on the second dive.
I think that the transition from shallow shore dive to deep drift dive might be a bit much for some, but I feel lucky in retrospect that I got that awesome introduction to scuba right off the bat.
SW is a great operation, and Jupiter is a unique and awesome area to dive.

Attempted hunting trip with SW on 2/22, DM tried 3 or 4 spots, visibility was comparable to a chocolate milk. One attempt he said he couldn't even read his spg... Back to shore...

Four OW cert dives at BHB is entirely inadequate. What happened to you are able to dive in your local environment? Most of the diving in PBC is drift diving by boat. I see OW students all the time doing dive 3+4 off a boat.
Exactly why I called it out. OW students should receive an instructor led dive from a boat in our area. When I did it, I didn't know any better and honestly didn't care. In retrospect, I was fortunate my instructor made time to join me on my first boat trip, but is this always the case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom