Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemon Drop aboard the Miss Jackie:

just wait for the news to start reporting about sharks biting swimmers' limbs off the coast of Jupiter Florida.

Lemon Drop aboard the Miss Jackie:

I love it when these operators claim, "We do not feed the sharks, we bait the sharks. There is a big difference." Like there isn't enough footage out there to the contrary. Why do so many of them keep up the charade? Perhaps Calypso is not one of those who claim they do not feed the sharks. Maybe that is just Emerald. Just call a spade a spade and say you feed the sharks to bring them in for customers to swim amongst. They will still have plenty of people taking them up on that. That is until someone at some point gets seriously bitten and then Katie, bar the door!

Nice video by the way @mike41799. My comment isn't a knock on you. You are just a customer paying for an experience that is (currently) legal outside of Florida waters.

I love it when these operators claim, "We do not feed the sharks, we bait the sharks. There is a big difference." Like there isn't enough footage out there to the contrary. Why do so many of them keep up the charade? Perhaps Calypso is not one of those who claim they do not feed the sharks. Maybe that is just Emerald. Just call a spade a spade and say you feed the sharks to bring them in for customers to swim amongst. They will still have plenty of people taking them up on that. That is until someone at some point gets seriously bitten and then Katie, bar the door!

Nice video by the way @mike41799. My comment isn't a knock on you. You are just a customer paying for an experience that is (currently) legal outside of Florida waters.
I've only done a snorkel trip on Calypso, but my understanding is they usually take a milk crate of fish down but don't pull chunks out. It's a point of contention among operators (even the Guadalupe Island liveaboards would try to keep the white sharks from getting the throw baits). I tend to agree that it doesn't make much practical difference (personally I'd rather their attention be kept on the fish bits rather than be left wondering where that smell is coming from). No knock on them; I haven't been out on a tank dive with Calypso mainly because it's iffier to get last-minute spots on a 6-pack than a 12- or 14-pack and they don't usually get up to the tiger and hammer spots farther north that are my primary spring season targets.

There are a number of dive charters that say they don't feed or bait for sharks, but happily go right to the feed sites after those charters have left.

just wait for the news to start reporting about sharks biting swimmers' limbs off the coast of Jupiter Florida.
Doesn't happen much despite Jupiter/Palm Beach having plenty of sharks in the surf zone (typically blacktips and lemons with the occasional bull, tiger, or great hammerhead); usually you hear about the cobia guys missing a spot check and getting smoked (showed video of them shooting cobia off sharks to an FIU researcher once and the response was "I'm amazed more people don't get bit").

Made it out with JDC on Saturday morning 3/18. Surface conditions were better than predicted. 2-3 with a 4-5 second period. 80s and sunny top side. Diving conditions were EXCELLENT! 80+ feet of viz in nice blue water. Could see the whole reef from the surface. 75 degrees and a moderate north current.

Captain Ryan gave my buddy and I a couple special lobster drops. We managed only a few late season bugs. Lots of eggers and shorts out there. Killed a bunch of nice big lion fish so we both went home with meat for dinner. Great day on the water. I’m already looking forward to mini season!

Calypso Dive Charters has spots open for their Saturday April 8th morning shark dive.

Join me!

David

1680735264576.jpeg

I'm a few days late in reporting, I guess, but I finally got a chance to dive out of Jupiter again without getting blown out last weekend (Yay!) Did a 3-tank trip -- Esso Bonaire, Ana Cecilia, and a reef drift dive. Cool wrecks, some big goliath grouper, a few sharks (and some huge nurse sharks), turtle, moray, tons of barracuda, and my kid and a few others caught a glimpse of a hammerhead (I missed it, of course). Good day on, and in, the water.

I'm a few days late in reporting, I guess, but I finally got a chance to dive out of Jupiter again without getting blown out last weekend (Yay!) Did a 3-tank trip -- Esso Bonaire, Ana Cecilia, and a reef drift dive. Cool wrecks, some big goliath grouper, a few sharks (and some huge nurse sharks), turtle, moray, tons of barracuda, and my kid and a few others caught a glimpse of a hammerhead (I missed it, of course). Good day on, and in, the water.
I was on that boat with you. Didn’t realize there was a fellow SB’er on board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom