Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would it be helpful for charter boats to either state out right what the maximum size of diver storage can be or better yet, give a standard container for divers to transfer gear into during the boarding process?

For some divers common sense clearly doesn’t work :banghead:

Yes, I think charters could do what airports do with providing a dimensional box for overhead baggage limitations that we all have to comply with when flying.
I take all my gear in a mesh backpack. It's pretty large and heavy when full. When empty, it takes up very little room under my seat. You couldn't measure it ahead of time. It's some of the large, wheeled bags and oversized tubs that are the problem. The tubs are easy to measure, they would fit under the seats or not. Some of the wheeled bags are more difficult, depends on whether they have rigid backs and/or sides.

Good point. DMs would have to make judgment calls here and there and provide crates (like many LOBs do) for the oversized tub and rigid bag customers to use. With my tank rigged and all my kit prep’d to go, my crate is nearly empty. Would be the same for many in the soft bag crowd.

It's some of the large, wheeled bags and oversized tubs that are the problem. The tubs are easy to measure, they would fit under the seats or not. Some of the wheeled bags are more difficult, depends on whether they have rigid backs and/or sides.

I wish I’d thought to take a photo. These were obscenely large. Three very large roller bags PLUS a huge wheeled tub that was easily 6-12” higher than the bench and wide too. All for 4 divers!

The poor DM hauled them all down into the v-birth for them and then hauled them back out after. But with those on the deck it made the offloading process like I95 at 5:30 pm.

I wish I’d thought to take a photo. These were obscenely large. Three very large roller bags PLUS a huge wheeled tub that was easily 6-12” higher than the bench and wide too. All for 4 divers!

The poor DM hauled them all down into the v-birth for them and then hauled them back out after. But with those on the deck it made the offloading process like I95 at 5:30 pm.
I've had the worst problems on Starfish out of Boynton. When there are a number of these large containers covering the engine hatch, there is nowhere safe to walk, especially as you have to bend down to miss hitting your head as you pass into the covered portion of the deck. They have limited additional storage. When the boat is not so packed, it is perfectly fine.

With Kyalami it is a bit more chaotic than that. Given that they are birthed behind Square Grouper Tiki Bar, you drop off and pick up your gear in front of the restaurant. They haul it all onto the boat in large carts and then do the reverse after the charter. After a charter, you line up in your cars in front of the restaurant. When it is your turn, you pull up and they help you load everything, and you drive off. In this instance, I thought I'd put my reg bag in my storage crate like I typically do. I had not. It was separate which is why I forgot it. It is still 100% on me, but in my rush to get out of the way for the next diver to load up, I didn't check as thoroughly as I should have.

I have now developed a new process I will follow when diving with them. Always learning/always improving. After I load up but before I head out, I am going to pull into the plentiful parking lots along the A1A in Jupiter just east of Federal/Highway 1. I will then double check everything before heading out. At that point I can easily go back if I have forgotten something.

I am thankful they were so responsive last night to my texts and confirmed they have my regs. I am also thankful they were happy to agree to rinse them and hang unto them for me for a couple of weeks. Again ... not their problem but they took ownership to help me resolve my knuckleheadedness. I will certainly remember this kindness when I tip for my next charter because that kind of customer service should be rewarded.
I had a similar experience, they were super helpful as well for my lost item. I had a jacket fall out during the unloading chaos- when I got on the boat and looked for it, I didn't have it, so I just figured it was packed in the truck- Ended up the bar staff found it. We walked passed the bar staff multiple times and interacted with them, but they never mentioned anything about a dive jacket (a little piterbed with them) - but Rick and his crew were able to locate it and get it back to me safely. Huge props to the Kyalami group!

To be clear, agreeing with your disagreement with the Griswold divers.

Very happy with Kyalami today. Shawn, Mark, Joe and the Captain did a great job. Mark teamed really well with the Captain for pick ups with good voice control and safety procedures. Shawn was super helpful to less experienced divers and didn't miss a beat. DM gymnastics in fins! Joe was the safety net for everything, covering any gaps that popped up. Great customer service without being suffocating. Thanks to the Kyalami tribe!

Nice to see folks from all over the US supporting Florida diving.

First dive today - two Goliath groupers, four blacktip sharks (but maybe really just one doing laps), one loggerhead, two older barracuda (slow and scarred up), one resting ray, one swimming ray (both really large) and numerous pretty fishies.

Second dive - zilch but enjoyed the solo cruise across the desert all the same.

First time diving single tank in two years. I felt like a baby diver all over again and must’ve checked my kit a half dozen times. Kept wondering where my second tank was.

Very happy with Kyalami today.
Really happy that the weather finally laid down and you were able to drive over and make a dive!!

We all know Palm Beach County diving is not for the timid, but being a working stiff who has been looking forward to diving this upcoming MLK Day 3-day weekend, this sucks! I mean, come on man!! :banghead:

CBB5D624-2D28-4230-8852-70503BBC2945.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom