Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...decided to try Kyalami on Friday (10/30). ....
I'm not on Kyalami, but I think we'll be on the water that day too. Pray for viz, cause it wasn't great today at 30.

I’ve been lurking on this site for years and finally decided to post. We dive Jupiter when “The Wetter the Better” is booked. That boat, captained by Bill Walker out of Riviera Beach, is an excellent operation. We used Jupiter Dive Center the few times but decided to try Kyalami on Friday (10/30). If the weather holds we’ll be diving this week with that crew. I’m looking forward to it.

Welcome! I'm on a JDC boat on Saturday morning. If the weather holds I'll probably play hooky and get out with them on Friday morning as well. Let us know how your dives are on Friday!

Welcome! I'm on a JDC boat on Saturday morning. If the weather holds I'll probably play hooky and get out with them on Friday morning as well. Let us know how your dives are on Friday!

We were going to dive with JDC on Friday but it’s a three tank dive and one person in our group of four refuses to get his Nitrox cert.

We were going to dive with JDC on Friday but it’s a three tank dive and one person in our group of four refuses to get his Nitrox cert.
Too bad, so easy to get nitrox certified these days, all online, with a quick visit to your LDS.

Air dives with JDC are quite limiting, 25 minute bottom time for the 1st dive and NDL limited on the second dive. Nitrox gives you a 45 minute bottom time for every dive.

Air dives with JDC are quite limiting, 25 minute bottom time for the 1st dive and NDL limited on the second dive. Nitrox gives you a 45 minute bottom time for every dive.

^^^^^^+1
Nitrox is by far the best investment and will make you absorb less nitrogen..

Jupiter and WPB areas that are used for recreational dives have a "hard" bottom so the MOD is less of a concern as other areas that are wall dives.

Jupiter seems to be one of those destinations practically made for nitrox; relatively square profile dives (mostly at a deep depth, not a multi-level sloping reef wall dive) over flat bottom (as PoolsOpen pointed out) and often drive dives riding the current without so much finning. It's like a recipe for nitrogen loading faster than air usage. And one of the great things about JDC when I was there a few years back was access to rental 120-cf steel tanks, so plenty of gas for those who want it.

The other 'Hurray for nitrox' destination I recall was offshore wreck diving out of Morehead City, NC. Deep, pretty 'square' profile, not drift but rather wreck diving, still over flat bottom.

...And one of the great things about JDC when I was there a few years back was access to rental 120-cf steel tanks, so plenty of gas for those who want it...

Yes, AL80s, steel 100s, or steel 120s, something for everyone.

It's pretty easy to calculate your gas needs for Jupiter if you know your RMV. For example, I have 19 dives in Jupiter so far this year, none on Deep Ledge. Max depths 72-93 feet, avg depths 53-69 feet with a mean of 64 feet, run time 51-53 minutes. I have a pretty low RMV, AL80s do it for me.

EDIT: I thought if might be useful to also comment on JDC special dives. The dive at Lemon Drop for Lemon Shark aggregation has a similar profile to the reef dives. Although the bottom is deeper, the dive is down to the 70s of feet for the drift. The avg depth is in the 60s. The Deep Ledge dive is to a deeper max depth, 90-135 feet, but it is done in stages with shallower depths. The average depth is 64-73 feet for 51-54 minutes. Once you pick the correct cylinder for you Jupiter dives, you are essentially good for all of them.

What's holding him back from getting a Nitrox cert?

He said he’s been diving SE Florida since 2006 and hasn’t needed it. I tried to persuade him to get the EAN cert to no avail. I did a couple dives in WPB and realized quickly I could spend more time underwater with EAN. To each their own, I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom