Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations on the move to Jupiter.

In Florida you find such a wide variety of divers on a single boat. I look at matters like we’re the usual variety of people getting on public transportation. Some are brisk and focused on getting on with their business, some are a bit clumsy.

Kudos to Kyalami for thinking on their feet. That had to have been a yoke valve that blew the O-ring.

Hi @CosbySweater

Sounds like Kyalami is no longer at limited load, correct? Masks, Covid, not diving? I've been worried about relaxation of restrictions in Florida. I'm planning my next visit.

I dove with Narcosis 3 days ago and they were very strict with masks, even reminding divers to put on facemasks while on deck. About 12 divers total, but being a Tuesday I dont know if they were limiting capacity or just a slow mid-week day.
BTW spectacular conditions on Breakers, flat seas, water temp 84, mild south current, 100 ft vis..

Hi @CosbySweater ,

I enjoyed reading your reports, keep `em coming!!

Next weekend not looking too good right now, but you never know..
The good thing is you're in S FL now...
... so with almost year-round diving, there's always the following week!!

Hi @CosbySweater

Sounds like Kyalami is no longer at limited load, correct? Masks, Covid, not diving? I've been worried about relaxation of restrictions in Florida. I'm planning my next visit.

From my experience yesterday, Kyalami was not carrying a limited load. Some wore masks on the boat, some didn’t. The crew did not instruct anyone to don masks that weren’t. Mask wearing by the crew was 50/50. No “distancing” on the boat or on the dock.

My experience with JDC last weekend was the opposite. JDC appeared to be much more conscious of COVID precautions, although not 100%.

Congrats on your move to Florida. Have you experienced getting out of Jupiter Inlet in “sporty” seas yet? It’s not for everyone. :) Negative entries are essential for Florida drift diving, but I’m an avid hunter and extremely biased. The only time I stick with the guide is for the occasional Goliath grouper dive, but even then I can’t remember when a negative entry wasn’t necessary to hit the wreck. I recommend Walker’s Dive Charters in Riviera Beach when you’re ready to explore reefs outside of Jupiter. Have you done a shore dive at Blue Heron Bridge? If not, stop by Force-E in Riviera for advice/map and checkout the threads on SB. Force-E is a great dive shop with lots of experienced divers working there and very quick turnaround on tank fills.

Congrats on your move to Florida. Have you experienced getting out of Jupiter Inlet in “sporty” seas yet?

Thanks for the warm welcome! Not yet but I've been through some bad inlets so I know the feeling. It doesn't bother me.

Did BHB yesterday with every other diver in Palm Beach County. The wind kept all the boats at the dock so everyone was trying to get their fix at the bridge. It wasn't a bad dive once we found some space. Saw all the usual critters plus some fun ones - a scaly tailed mantis, a flying gunard (which I've seen in print but never in person), and a pipefish which I need to identify. Viz was 20-25 feet, water temp was 82, 107 minute dive.

Heard that a manta ray flew by the bridge on Saturday morning. No sign of it on Sunday.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Not yet but I've been through some bad inlets so I know the feeling. It doesn't bother me...

I have something approaching 450 trips out and back into the Boynton Inlet. Trips here are not infrequently cancelled with big seas and bad conditions. We've turned back a few times when we've gotten to the inlet and it is significantly worse than expected. A few of the exits from the inlet have been very invigorating. However, I have been scared, nearly to death, at least twice, coming back into the inlet. I have a lot of respect for the Boynton Inlet. When the captain cancels a trip, I thank them for protecting my safety.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Not yet but I've been through some bad inlets so I know the feeling. It doesn't bother me.

Did BHB yesterday with every other diver in Palm Beach County. The wind kept all the boats at the dock so everyone was trying to get their fix at the bridge. It wasn't a bad dive once we found some space. Saw all the usual critters plus some fun ones - a scaly tailed mantis, a flying gunard (which I've seen in print but never in person), and a pipefish which I need to identify. Viz was 20-25 feet, water temp was 82, 107 minute dive.

Heard that a manta ray flew by the bridge on Saturday morning. No sign of it on Sunday.

That happens at BHB when it's rough and all trips are canceled on a weekend. If you REALLY want to dive on a weekend and the boats aren't running, better arrive early!!

I have something approaching 450 trips out and back into the Boynton Inlet. Trips here are not infrequently cancelled with big seas and bad conditions. We've turned back a few times when we've gotten to the inlet and it is significantly worse than expected. A few of the exits from the inlet have been very invigorating. However, I have been scared, nearly to death, at least twice, coming back into the inlet. I have a lot of respect for the Boynton Inlet. When the captain cancels a trip, I thank them for protecting my safety.

I was on Starfish once coming back in the Boynton Inlet and the engine died. :eek: Talk about a pucker factor event. It took some work but Adam and Maggie got the engine started and we obviously got back safely. The Boynton Inlet is my LEAST favorite to use. However, the dive sites are worth the effort!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom