Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put air in my pony bottles so that I can also use them to fill low tires. That’s about all compressed air is good for. It’s a lousy gas for diving.

Snuck out of work early on Thursday afternoon to dive with JDC. Winds were out of the SW at 10-15 kts. Waves were 2-4 with an occasional 5, but it started to lay down as the afternoon progressed. It's was definitely a bumpy ride through the inlet and out to the ledge. Light load for the afternoon dives (only 6 divers). It was nice to spread out a little bit. JDC has a new captain (Andre?). He appears competent and safety focused. I personally like his personality since he's a younger guy and has a similar sense of humor to me. JDC is still only running one boat. Republic 4 is getting a new engine. I thought I overheard Brian say that Republic 4 wont be back online till January (could be wrong about that).

We dove Bluffs and Scarface. Viz was around 60' at Bluffs but dropped to maybe 45'-50' at Scarface. Gentle N current. Water temp was 82. These two sites are my favorites so far. They both have a lot more vertical relief than the other sites I've been to on Juno ledge. The bottom topography is more dramatic at these sites. Additionally, we were treated to several Nurse and Reef sharks, some big Green Morays, and a lonely Goliath (at Scarface). Max depth is around 80 at both sites. I got about 50 min of bottom time on EAN36 with plenty of air to spare on both dives (I'm diving AL80s). A few people on the boat were lobstering but didn't see any. The morning trip got one big lobster at Scarface. They also saw two Mantas! It seems like I'm always too late to the Manta party - we didn't see any.

Hopefully some folks got out today as the weather looks nice! I'm on the schedule for tomorrow morning, but wind/waves are looking marginal. We'll see what happens.

A couple pics of a curious Nurse shark at Bluffs.

1.png
2.png

Several boats in the Jupiter and Palm Beach area were reporting 50-70 feet of visibility today. Should be a decent weekend.

Several boats in the Jupiter and Palm Beach area were reporting 50-70 feet of visibility today. Should be a decent weekend.

Did you get to dive this weekend? We went diving on 10/30 with Kyalami and we jumped into 70ft of viz and light currents. It’s been blown out almost everyday since then.

Did you get to dive this weekend? We went diving on 10/30 with Kyalami and we jumped into 70ft of viz and light currents. It’s been blown out almost everyday since then.

I got out on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning with JDC. Saturday the viz was around 40-50 with a light SOUTH current. Sunday morning the viz was a little better, maybe 60', south current again. Water temp was 81 both days. We hit Scarface, Lee's, Kirle's area both trips. The reefs were pretty clean. Water was brown most of the way out to the ledge but cleaned up nicely. Pretty good diving, all things considered. I shot a couple lionfish on Saturday, saw a big loggerhead and a few sharks on Sunday. Not a lot of notable wildlife interactions but pleasant nonetheless. I was surprised at how few divers were on the boat. I guess most folks assumed the viz would be bad?

Looking like more wind in the forecast.....bummer. I'm travelling back home to see my family next weekend so I wont be diving again for at least two weeks.

Hi @CosbySweater

Where is Lee's, don't know it?

Good question. It's near Scarface because that was the first drop. It may also be "Leigh's". According to the deckhand (Ryan) it's a site Captain Tim named. I'm not familiar enough with the ledge to tell you exactly where it is, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom