July 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yukon, Ruby E. & Point Loma kelp, July 17th

Info:
Sunny warm day, with cloudless blue skies.
Seas were flat calm at all locations, with only occasional mild swells.
Visibility ranged from 40’-50’ at the deeper locations, 20’-30’ elsewhere.
Surface temperature was approximately 65 degrees, with 54 degrees on the bottom.
Yukon – Maximum depth was 96 fsw, with an average depth of 82 fsw, total bottom time was 34 minutes.
Ruby E. – Maximum depth was 83 fsw, with an average depth of 68 fsw, total bottom time was 42 minutes.
Point Loma kelp – Maximum depth was 44 fsw, with an average depth of 42 fsw, total bottom time was 45 minutes.

The Report:
Sean, Roy and I set out early Saturday morning for a three-tank dive at three of the natural (and artificial) wonders of San Diego diving. It was already warm, fading into hot by 7:00AM. Leaving the channel and heading towards open water and the Yukon, conditions looked great. The ocean was wonderfully flat, with only an occasional minor swell rolling through to rock the boat from side to side, reminding us we were at sea after all, and not resting on a sheet of glass. We tied off to a mid-ship buoy, finished gearing up, and stepped of the side of the boat into the calm waters.

We had already made our dive plan, so we quickly expelled the air from our BC’s and started down next to the line. We could easily see the white, mid-line buoy from the surface, and the ship itself from just below that. Our first explorations started on the deck structures and towers that stuck out over the sand, then back towards the stern. During our tour towards the stern, we dropped to the sand, checking out the bottom dwellers, then along the upper deck angling up vertically to our left. The bottom dwellers included small schools of silvery baitfish, a few medium sized Sand Bass, a pair of passionate Cancer Crabs, and several nice sized Tube Dwelling Anemones. The rest of the ship consisted of the ever present, and quite prolific White Metridiums, Painted Greenlings by the dozens, a California Scorpionfish hanging out on one of the struts and a small variety of assorted nudibranchs.

Back on the boat, we motored over to the Ruby, where we munched on snacks and planned our next dive, while waiting out the surface interval. When the gates opened again, we were in the water before the DM could finish saying “ the gates are op…”. We once again descended next to a buoy line, this time at the stern of the Ruby E., and started our tour by checking out the port side of the boat, on to the rear portion of the deck, over to the starboard side, then back over the deck for a cruise to the cabin and bow. The deck was littered with Spanish Shawls and Warty Sea Cucumbers. We also saw a Tritonia Festiva and a couple of Hermissenda Crassicornis. As expected, the Painted Greenlings were even more prolific here than on the Yukon, their coloring a striking contrast to the Club-tipped Anemones that engulf the boat. Several Sand Bass hunkered down in the corners of the cabin and against the ships railing, while individual Rockfish darted in and out of holes.

We eventually found ourselves full from lunch and floating over beds of Macrocystis Kelp near Point Loma. Most of the kelp beds were east of us, towards the Point Loma cliffs, while directly to the west, was a large open area with pinnacles and rock reefs. Once near the bottom, we headed west, towards the pinnacles. We were in 40’-50’ of water, with tall rock structures covered in Southern Sea Palms, Pterygophora Californica, and a variety of other algae. There were huge overhangs, with various holes and outcroppings full of fish and life. Schools of Senoritas and Perch swirled in flashing masses over the tops, while Garibaldi protected their dens and California Scorpionfish stayed discreetly motionless along the sides. Diaulula Noblis, some quite large, were scattered prolifically over the rocks, singly and in pairs, with most of them preferring the darker overhangs and caverns. We saw a few Lobster, several varieties of snails and Hermit Crabs in a wild array of mobile homes. Towards the end of our dive, we headed back east towards the boat, explored the kelp forests for a while, eventually surfacing near the stern of the boat. From this location, it was only a short jaunt back to the docks.

John-Boy

La Jolla Shores, July 18th

Info:
Early fog, clearing to warm blue skies, with some marine layer hanging over land.
The ocean continues to be calm and mild, with only minor, 1’ waves breaking near shore.
Surface temperature was 68 degrees, dropping to 54 degrees past 30 fsw.
Visibility was a very nice 20’ in the shallows, opening up to 40’+ in the canyon.
0’ tide, increasing on a 1.4 knot flood, to a 3.8’ peak @ 11:46AM.
Our maximum depth was 94 fsw, with an average depth of 85 fsw.
Our total bottom time was 42 minutes.

The Report:
Sean, Paul, Kevin, Craig and I met up early in the main parking lot at the Shores. At 6:00AM on our arrival, the parking lot was fairly deserted. By 6:30AM, the lot was full and cars were circling like sharks at a feeding frenzy, waiting their turn to attack a parking spot. We suited up, swam out to the buoy in front of the Sea Lodge, and were heading to the bottom by 7:18AM. Visibility in the shallows was approximately 20’ at 24 fsw. The buddy check discovered no problems, only eager divers, so we turned our fins east and our masks west, and started towards the canyon edge.

Before reaching the canyon edge, we encountered a thermocline at 30 fsw. I felt pretty warm, with the 14 degree temperature drop not bothering me for some reason. Ohhhhh, that’s right…….I was in a drrrrrry suit. Oh well, I’m sure somebody was cold. We started dropping down the ledges, the apparent darkness before us opening up with each foot of descent. We slowed at 90 fsw, and by 94 fsw, we had turned right and were heading north along the walls and slopes. Horizontal visibility was a pleasant 40’, with vertical visibility even greater.

California Sea Hares were out in force, littering the walls and doing whatever Hares do when they lounge at depth, eating apparently. Black Eyed and Bay Gobies darted about, that combined with the quick antics of the plentiful Speckled Sanddabs, made for a constantly moving bottom. A school of thousands of tiny bright silver Perch shaped fish swarmed in and around us, while juvenile Rockfish hung singly inches above the kelp detritus.

Continuing our way north, we slowly worked our way out of the depths, cruising along at a slightly shallower depth for awhile, as we stair-stepped our way up slope. We saw several large Tube Dwelling Anemones, some with fat tubes 12”-14” tall, below their white tendrils. California Lizardfish were seen sporadically, as were Navanax and California Armina. White Sea Pens and Sea Pansies were stuck here and there along the slopes at varying depths, along with the occasional Short Spined Sea Star on the move. We came across a couple of small detritus mounds crawling with hundreds of Spiney Brittle Stars, probably the same mounds Terry saw a few weeks ago.

Bumping up gently against our turnaround pressure, we turned south/east, taking a more direct route out of the canyon. We saw a few more California Armina in the sand flats, with an occasional visit by more California Lizardfish. We crossed a very small patch of sand dollars, but saw little else until we hit the shallows, and disturbed a few Stingrays lurking on the bottom. They were reluctant to move, waiting until we were directly over them, before a quick wing flap took them gently a few feet away. Not the mad flight we are used to seeing, maybe with all the dive students, they’re simply tired of moving. We swam into 4 fsw, where we exited just south of our entry point. A quick fresh water rinse and an easy stroll down the boardwalk to the admiring glances of the non-diving masses, brought us back to our vehicles and our next adventure, breakfast.

John-Boy

A day at the Library

Date: 07/17/2004
Dive Location: Melon Ball
Time: 0800
Bottom Time: 47 minutes
Max Depth: 74fsw
Visibility: 25-30ft
Wave height: 0 but mild swell
Temp at depth: 49 degrees
Surface Temp: 71 degrees
Tide information: unknown

Dive Location: Pacific Beach Reef
Time: 0936
Bottom Time: 16 minutes
Max Depth: 77fsw
Visibility: 25-30 ft
Wave height: none
Temp at depth: 53F
Surface Temp: 71F

Photos At:
http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/Melon Ball 0717/

http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/PB Reef 0717/

Melon Ball:

Jim, Zephyr and I met at Campland and loaded the boat. It was a clear morning and the sun was already breaking through the marine layer as we motored out of the bay. The open ocean offered only a minor swell that barely rocked the Library as we headed out on this mornings adventure. Jim has a great map that shows a satellite view of the coast with the ocean topography. Today we decided to forgo the normal spots and try something a little different. We motored north up the coast until we were lined up with Tourmaline Street. Once in the area we used the fish finder to scout the bottom. Finding some structure under the huge mats of kelp, we dropped anchor in about 80ft of water and prepared to dive. While completing his gear check, Jim discovered his low pressure inflator was leaking badly so he opted not to dive this first sight and snorkeled in the kelp instead. Zephyr and I descended through the upper clarity and into the not to clear and then at the thermocline at 40 ft, all was clear again. The bottom structure here consisted mostly of large boulders and slabs. I named this site Melon Ball because many of the rocks have bowling ball sized “scoops” out of them ala melon balls. We saw many nudibranchs, ocher and bristle stars, and a large but shy ling cod. Rockfish galore were here as well. Peering under the boulders we found Coonstriped and red rock shrimp. Our depleting NDL and the 49 degree water combined to motivate us to head back the boat and the warm sun. As we completed out safety stop at 20 ft, the sun streamed through the canopy of kelp, creating a cathedral of dancing lights and sunrays. Calm came over me as I hung there. Peace, if but for a moment, was ours.
PB Reef:

As we headed out this morning we came across a lone buoy jutting up from the sea. The signage declares the spot to be the PB Reef. The DFG and San Diego Council of Divers posted this and many other rock pile reefs as part of the ongoing California artificial reef program. As we passed we decided to try this spot on the way back in. I am so glad we did.

Jim and Zephyr were the first in the water. Jim had decided that in the old days they didn’t have power inflators and since he would be taking pictures anyway and hugging the bottom, he would manual inflate his BC at depth for neutral buoyancy and then ascend using the anchor line. This worked well for him and he and Zephyr had a great dive. I joined them after I groggily rolled off the bow. Man the sun felt good. I was so sleepy that I decided I would just make a short dive; I still had 1600psi in the tank. Joining them on the bottom, I was dumbstruck at the beauty of this patch reef. Creatures of all manner were everywhere. Red Gorgonians and sea fans waved in the slow easy current. As with melon ball, the nudibranchs were out in force here. The most common, and one of my personal favorites, were the Tritonia Festiva. In the short time I was on this reef saw at least 30 different ones ranging from itty bitty white specs to two inch behemoths. As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t switch tanks so I had to cut my dive short and head back to the surface. As I climbed back in the boat I debated whether my fellow divers would be down long enough for me to switch tanks and drop back in. It was a passing fantasy at best and before long they were back on board and we headed to the dock. We all agree, this little patch of heaven will be seeing us again real soon.

Terry S.

divebuddysean:
I uploaded the pictures from our Yukon/Ruby E/ Point Loma Kelp Dive on the Lois Ann. Conditions were great. The ocean was so flat, the sun was shinning, and everyone was very nice on board the boat! Man what a GREAT time. I'm sure John is going to be giving a dive report, so I will just post the pictures. Off I go for another dive at the La Jolla Shores! Last one for a few days! Get out and dive if you can!!!!

Yukon/Ruby E/ Point Loma kelp pics:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/yukonrubyekelp07172004

Have a good one!

Sean

My best dive ever in San Diego, unreal viz. Thanks guys, next time I will bring a steel 120 too.........(pictures rule!!!!!)

divinman:
A day at the Library

Dive Location: Melon Ball
Time: 0800
Bottom Time: 47 minutes
Max Depth: 74fsw
Visibility: 25-30ft
Wave height: 0 but mild swell
Temp at depth: 49 degrees
Surface Temp: 71 degrees

Terry S.

Great report Terry, and even better photos! That's a tough combo to beat. :eyebrow:
Thanks!
John-Boy

Is that Nudi swimming or reaching over to something? Nice work! I hope John's picture of him sitting on the Ruby E head comes out ok. That may top them all!!! :)

Hope to see you tonight!

Sean

It was an a small bit of Algae and stretching to the fan. It is probably the best picture I have ever taken. That's not saying much but I like and am glad u do too. Hope to make it tonight. Vis is reported as declining in the near shore areas but for me its all about getting wet anyway.
Terry

divebuddysean:
Is that Nudi swimming or reaching over to something? Nice work! I hope John's picture of him sitting on the Ruby E head comes out ok. That may top them all!!! :)

Hope to see you tonight!

Sean

The wife and I took the dive boat Aquatica out Sunday to Catalina. Our first dive was at Lion's Head, just above Two Harbors.

Max depth was 45 fsw, water temp 68. We had a bottomtime of about 45 minutes before we decided we saw enough. Normal marine life and plenty of kelp. Viz wa a very disappointing 20 to 25 ft, the students on board were kicking up the sandy bottom along with other particles in the water.

Our second dive was at Little Geiger, and it was almost identical to our first dive. Max depth about 40 fsw, 35 minutes of bottomtime and viz about the same as above. Marine life and kelp were abundant. Ran into a minor thermocline as we went toward Big Geiger, the water temp dropped to 64 for a brief period.

The wife tried out her new Canon S50 underwater, unfortunately the pics didn't turn out that good due to the viz.

All in all, it was a good day, felt good to go back into the water in Socal.

BTW, Kelphelper, I wore my Farmer John 3 mil and was quite comfy. :crafty:

Date: 7-20-2004
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores
Time: 6:52pm
Bottom Time: 47:20
Max Depth: 96 fsw
Vis: 20-30 my guess.
Wave height: 2 foot or so
Temp at depth: 55 degrees
Surface Temp: 72 degrees
Tide information: Looked like high tide
Comments: Another nice dive at the Shores. Saw many different critters. Got a nice photo of a fish in the buoy chain. If you look hard you can see the reflection of my face in the fishes eye. A nice dive down the South wall. I was really trying to stay off the earth since you can turn up some clouds of silt so easily. We cruised all the way around the point. It was interesting that my dive profile said I was out of bottom time just about the time I was out of air (1200 psi). You really don't have too much bottom time at 95 feet. I cut out a pic of my Suunto profile with my return point listed. Terry and I cruised in finding a pipe fish and shooting some pics of it then hugged the bottom to 8 feet of water and surfaced. John and Larry were ahead of us further up the beach, slightly to the north.

Another fun dive at the Shores; until tomorrow night :eyebrow:

Hey Sean, Great diving with you last night. Hoping to see you tonight as well. I will post a report later today and add some pictures. I have a few that are post worthy I think.

Love the profile image. Really shows the canyon relief.

Later dives,

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom