July 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 08 July 04
Dive Location: Right After Torrance (RAT) just off Malaga Cove
Time: 7:51 p.m.
Bottom Time: 74:50
Max Depth: 25
Vis: 5-8 feet
Wave height: 1-2 feet
Temp at depth: balmy 64 SUUNTO degrees, thermo cline at 20 feet.
Surface Temp: 70 degrees
Tide information: High 3:58 pm 4.74 feet
Comments:
On arrival at the sight we had planed to dive Haggerty’s or Malaga Cove. We met a free diver from http://www.freedivingfilms.com who told us there was a black sea bass over on the Torrance Reef. We decided to go find him. We (Andy McKay and I) swam out a short distance off the sand and then dropped down into 9 feet of water with about 3 feet of surge. Continued our dive to the south west roughly parallel to shore and located the Torrance reef. We spotted a small black sea bass almost immediacy on our decent. Once below about 15 feet the water calmed down with no real surge. At the reef I looked to my right and discovered we had picked up a third dive partner, one black sea bass of about 3 feet was swimming about 2-3 feet off my right shoulder with my real dive buddy being on my left about the same distance away. When we shined our lights on him, he swam across our front and then came back for a second close pass. Later we spotted an angel shark of about 5 feet length resting on the sand. All in all a good dive and better than watching Thursday night TV.

Dove Marineland yesterday to try to perfect my photography skills.:D
5-8 feet vis, 55F, but I still had fun. I did manage to get two shots that were at least in focus.

Date: 11 july 04
Dive Location: Laguna Beach, Montage Resort (Treasure Island)
Time: 9:08 a.m.
Bottom Time: 40:30
Max Depth: 40 FSW
Vis: 8-10 feet
Wave height: 1 foot or less
Temp at depth: 59 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 63 Suunto degrees
Tide information: 3.2 High 7:00AM, 2.2 Low 11:28AM
Comments:
In our pre-dive briefing we discussed that this beach has a shallow surf zone, with a drop off about 10 feet from the water line or so. It was amusing to watch the divers enter, and go from knee high to over their heads in two steps. When we say it drops off, we are not kidding around. Entered to calm seas, with little surf in the under 1 foot range. Water had a lot of particulate matter in it. Bit of surge maybe 4 feet running near the rocks. Limited dive to 40 minutes by plan due to schedules and anticipated air consumption of a new diver in the group. We spotted 3 purple stripped jellies, one in the water and two impaled on the urchins. Spotted the usual suspects. An octopus was also observed.

MaxBottomtime:
I did manage to get two shots that were at least in focus.

So let's see them Max!!

Divinman

divinman:
So let's see them Max!!

Divinman
10404_184_2.jpg

10404_184_1.jpg

I haven't gotten a decent shot of these and I see them all the time here at La Jolla Shores. Every time I see Purple Globe crabs I don't have the camera with me. Thanks for sharing.

Divinman

Can ya all tell this is my local dive sight of choice. Its an easy entry and exit, shallow or deep depending on my mood and ya just never know what you will see out there.

Craig, Jayne and I met at the Shores for a twilight dive. Here's how it went.

Max Depth 105
Dive time 48 minutes
Temp at top 69
temp at bottom 49 by one computer 53 by another. COLD
IMAGES: http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/LJS0714/

Vis at the top was pea green and non-existent. First Thermocline at 15 ft, vis increased to 20 feet, second cline at 35 ft, vis increased to 35-40 with spots of and easy 45 in the canyon.

It was hot and seemed like forever to get to the buoy. I was sweating in the neoprene the whole way out. Stopped at the buoy and I dropped down to see how the conditions were. As I passed 15 ft, BAM the world opened up and I could see the ripples in the sand 20 ft below me. A huge school of fish hovered just to my right as I descended to the bottom to look for the small island kelp fish that lives at the anchor of the marker. He was there and posed for a couple pictures. I was having such a great time that I nearly forgot that Jayne and Craig were still on the surface waiting for my report. I slowly surfaced and with a loud WHOOHOO said "it's amazing, let's go diving" We descended together and again the same school of fish came by. We hovered a moment to take them in and then made our way to the bottom. I showed the rest of the group the kelp fish and we turned west for the canyon wall. There was a snapping sound, I swear, was we passed the next thermocline and the visibility was a stellar 40 ft with spots of 45 or more. As we slowly moved along the wall, coon striped shrimp poked out to watch us pass. Jayne found a largish two spotted octopus hiding in its den; yellow dorids were seen as well. Many juvenile rockfish hovered along the edge, hiding in the kelp debris to avoid being lunch. At about 100ft we were well south on the edge of the drop and looking out we could see the cabezon cruisers outline in the depths below. IT WAS A GREAT DAY TO DIVE. Hitting our predermined turn around pressure we drifted up over the canyon wall. As I passed over the lip I found a blue banded Ronquil and a small red octopus. The swim in was a relaxing one. There was little surge and current. The sand dollar fields were still there as we passed as were the numerous swimming crabs, sand dabs and small turbot and halibut.

At around 15 ft the visibility turned to a grungy brown but we could still stay in contact with the buddies as we kicked back in. Reaching the 5ft mark we stood and removed our fins and walked back to the autos to change and head home.

IF conditions hold, everyone should dive today tomorrow, Saturday. Really, it's that good. At least it was last night.

Terry S.

La Jolla Cove July 13th

Info:
The skies were clear and the temperature was warm, but not hot as the day waned.
The Cove was calm, while 2’-3’ breakers were tumbling against Alligator Head.
5’ high tide on a 1.2 knot flood, peaking just before slack tide @ 8:05PM.
Surface temperature was 65 degrees, dropping to 54 degrees at 30 fsw.
Mild surge in the rocks by our entry point, none evident elsewhere.
Visibility was a mildly debris filled 10’-15’ in the Cove, 20’-30’ otherwise.
Our maximum depth was 32 fsw, with an average depth of 25 fsw.
Our total bottom time was 52 minutes.

Photos:
Here is a link to a few of the photos from our dive.
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5820

The Report:
We had a whole herd of divers show up for another fabulous Bottom Bunch club dive tonight at La Jolla Cove. Parking was tough, as expected, but eventually Sean, Kevin, Larry, Jenn, Paul, Mickey and I met up at the top of the stairs, by the lifeguard tower. Recent reports had warned of bad visibility and relatively warm water. We would have to contend with neither. The Cove, on a 5’ high tide, was calm with what appeared to be good visibility. With warm blue skies slowly turning to lapis and a calm sea before us, it was time to dive.

The majority of our divers chose to enter through the Cove. Sean and I though, having an inherent fondness for the slightly more challenging entry of Alligator head, chose that instead. Unlike the more placid Cove, Alligator Head was being tickled by a steady onslaught of mild 2’-3' swells breaking against the rocks, being more a test of timing than a battle of the elements. Fins on, BC inflated and regs in our mouths, we inched towards the rocky edge over slippery moss and shells, then fell into the water like a tree crashing to the forest floor, albeit with a less spectacular landing. A series of steady fin kicks to escape the rock filled trouble zone, and we were soon floating in a brilliant blue sea, ready to drop below the surface.

Venting our BC’s, we spiraled down between huge stalks of Macrocystis Kelp, dodging the Feather Boa kelp and rock reefs as we plummeted. A few quick bursts of air found us hovering over the bottom, soon followed by a buddy check, a compass check and then we were off. We headed west, and in the current 20’ of visibility, we encountered a huge wall of rock that had been hiding 21’ west of our drop point. We explored it as we worked north then west around it, and then continued on our way. Since Sean and I both had cameras, our view of each other consisted mostly of fins stretching straight up from behind a patch of kelp or rock outcropping, with camera flashes illuminating the alcove or hole for the briefest of moments. I don’t think we saw each other’s facemasks until we surfaced at the end of the dive.

We worked west for a while, then north, and finally south/east, hoping to eventually end up inside the Cove, and avoid the rocks that separate Alligator Head from the Cove. In the mean time, we saw massive amounts of Lobster and Garibaldi, schools of Senoritas, Blacksmiths, Rock Wrasse, a couple of Opaleye and a variety of Perch. We also saw quite a few Keyhole Limpets hanging out on the rocks and Norris Topsnails clutching the kelp fronds with their meaty feet. We saw a Couple of large Sea Hares, lots of varieties of algae and corals, a nice sized Halibut, one Bat Ray and a huge (HUGE) California Scorpionfish, that was well over 2’ long.

Leaving the tall rock structures immediately out from Alligator Head, we swam over the smaller rocks and open stretches of sand that dwell between it and the Cove. I think this stretch, with its pure white sand highways separating algae encrusted rocks, the roadways lined with huge forests of Macrocystis Kelp, is one of my favorite dive spots. The contrasts are spectacular. The rock reefs and kelp are covered in a diversity of life, while the brilliant white sand channels harbor more discreet dwellers among its peaked and current shaped valleys. Rays, Sharks and Halibut rest on or below the surface, while the surrounding rocks and kelp hold secret folds or caverns filed with life. There is too much to see, and so I must return time and again.

We found the Cove entrance fairly easily, and taking a bearing we headed in. I tried to compensate for the mild current within the Cove, but either it was greater than the mild I had thought it, or the ever swaying surf grass muddled my brain. Regardless, despite an apparent straight heading, we soon found ourselves near the rock overhangs on the east side of the Cove. A minor course correction, a few more fin kicks, and we were back in the groove, aligned with the stairs and in 3’ of water. With the water lapping against the lowermost stair, it was an easy fin removal, a short walk up the submerged slope, and up the stairs we went. A quick shower failed to rinse the memories of this dive away and soon, memories tucked safely away to rise again another day, we made our way back to our cars.

John-Boy

Date: 15 July 04
Dive Location: Cathedral Gardens Anacapa Island
Time: 9:18 AM
Bottom Time: 54:00
Max Depth: 40 FSW
Vis: 30+ feet
Wave height: 6 inches or less
Temp at depth: 64 Suunto Degrees
Surface Temp: 68 Suunto Degrees
SAC: 0.37
Tide information:
Comments: This was a very mellow dive. Usual suspects including sea lions and a large bat ray. Saw another bat ray being chased by a sea lion. Bat rays can move out when properly motivated. Currnet came up while we were diving, but not strong. Just a great dive with dramatic views of kelp against the rays of sun light penetrating through.

Date:15 July 05
Dive Location: Portuguese Rock Anacapa Island
Time: 11:22 AM
Bottom Time: 47:30
Max Depth: 35 FSw
Vis: 30+
Wave height: 6 inches
Temp at depth: 66 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 75 Suunto degrees
SAC: 0.42
Tide information:
Comments: Not as good a site as the other two, but still fun. Little kelp mostly rocks. There was a current running on this dive the entire time and we were cautioned to take the anchor line in to the dive site and out. But still better than a day at work.

Date: 15 July 04
Dive Location: Mandies, Anacapa Island
Time: 1:36 PM
Bottom Time: 55:50
Max Depth: 42 FSW
Vis: 30+
Wave height: 6 inches
Temp at depth: 63 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 75 Suunto
SAC: 0.45
Tide information:
Comments: Great dive with the usual suspects including a horn shark. There was a slight current running and again we took the anchor line there and back. But it was not too bad as we did the old hands free hang at 15 feet.

On all three dives we descended the anchor line, and then explored retuning each time to the anchor and then following the line to the boat. What can I say, it was a great day with good diving and food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom