July 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 7/6/2004
Dive Location: Marine Room, La Jolla, CA
Time: 6:25
Bottom Time: 60:40
Max Depth: 14 fsw
Vis: 10 feet
Wave height: 0-1 ft.
Temp at depth: 68 degrees
Surface Temp: 68 degrees
Tide information: High
Comments:

Met at the Marine Room. Suited up and was in the water by 6:30. We entered the ankle-high surf and waded out into the lake-like ocean, shuffling our feet with every step. Clouds of sand would emerge from just in front of us, continuously.The rays were fluttering away as we aproached (some pretty fast, some slowly). After getting to proper depth, we put on our fins and kicked out to the assembly point. As I kicked out I saw several rays running away kicking up sand clouds. I also saw a Leopard shark about 2 feet in length but took no picture.
After minor discussion we decended down to 5 feet and began the dive. The marine room is very shallow with patches of reef and eel grass. We first encounter a dead sheep crap John put it on his head for our amusment. After a few snaps we moved on and watched Terry take a picture of a lobster. With the visibility at 10 feet we quickly lost the other divers and were just me and my dive buddy. We continued on seeing many different fish. We saw many Kelp Bass, some very large. Groups would follow us hoping we'd give them an urchin or make a fish run out so they could get a nice and easy bite to eat. They were very comfortable around us. We saw a few octopi, many lobsters, some Surfperch, Senorita fish, Garibaldis, Opaleyes, many small schools of little fish (no id).
While we were checking out a lobster, a snorkler dove down with a trident and attempted to spear something just feet from us. I attempted to get a picture of his face, but only got his initial strike plus 1 more. He looked surprised and we surfaced to see what was going on. He was swimming fast to the shore. We were at 1500 air so we headed back under the reefs and dove another 500 psi. One we were too shallow to dive any longer, I surfaced next to my buddy who was walking into the shore. We walked to the car, discussed the dives, and headed back home.

Here are the pictures I took during the dive.
http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/marinedusk?page=1

A great dive, can't wait for the next :)

Sean

I know John is planning another wondrous report for this evening so I will skip to the images. There was a little surge so composition may seem odd. Mostly I just clipped off the camera and enjoyed the dive. When it's this shallow the bottom time just goes on and on.......13 ft for 68 minutes, toasty warm 68 degree water and life everywhere. Two Bay rays swimming by. Nice!

Terry S.

Images gallery here: http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/Marine Room 07062004/

You guys are having way too much fun.............nice.

divebuddysean:
Date: 7/6/2004
Dive Location: Marine Room, La Jolla, CA
... While we were checking out a lobster, a snorkler dove down with a trident and attempted to spear something just feet from us. I attempted to get a picture of his face, but only got his initial strike plus 1 more. He looked surprised and we surfaced to see what was going on. He was swimming fast to the shore. ...

Correct me if I am wrong, but is not the Marine Room in the ecological reserve? As in no hunting.

Probably why he ran, er swam away so fast. Too bad you could not get his face in the picture and then turn him in to the fish and game folks. You should still make a report if you have not, as I will bet he hunts there often.

The Marine Room is a reserve. By the time we exited he was nowhere in site.
It was pretty strange, but I don't think he caught anything. He probably had no idea
about the restrictions. I'll call the lifeguard tomorrow and see where you'd report such a thing.

Sean

Hi everyone,

I dove tonight with Kerry from our group here.

Surf was up a bit, yellow flag, but...no sweat. Dropped down about 30' fsw made our way west towards Seal Rock. Came across the Pinnacles, circuled around them a bit. Quite a bit of surge. I would say about 6' + Got shot through a crevice like a cannon ball. What fun!

Viz was about 10-15 at depth of 42'. It was a nice toasty 65 degrees! Much better than the chilly 54 degrees at 62' at Deadman's the other day.

Saw the usual marine life. Saw a type of snail I can not identify. It's only the second time I had seen one. It is brown and white stripped, with a rough flanged edge kind of like a conch.

All and all, a great dive. Thanks Kerry!!!

Date: 4 July
Dive Location: San Luis Beach...Guam
Time: 1648
Bottom Time: 41 min
Max Depth: 98ft
Vis: poor
Wave height: none
Temp at depth: 82
Surface Temp: 82
Tide information: low
Comments:

Date: 4 July
Dive Location: Japanese Fuel Piers (WWII)
Time: 1857 (night)
Bottom Time: 44
Max Depth: 59ft
Vis: poor
Wave height: none
Temp at depth:82
Surface Temp: 82
Tide information:n/a
Comments: Both dives inside harbor....vis was bad due to some storms that had moved through. Saw a really nice octopus on the night dive.

Thought Guam was a new SoCal dive site..................

Diver_Jan:
Hi everyone,

Saw the usual marine life. Saw a type of snail I can not identify. It's only the second time I had seen one. It is brown and white stripped, with a rough flanged edge kind of like a conch.

All and all, a great dive. Thanks Kerry!!!
Sounds like a Leafy Hornmouth.

http://www.abcamp.com/images/leafyshl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom