July 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinman:
This should be posted over here: http://www.scubaboard.com/t62455.html

Thanks for posting.

Divinman

Well, I'll tell ya... :wink: I thought about it, but my reports tend to be a little off the beaten path, kinda quirky and lean a little to the humurous side. I didn't think they fell within the bounds of the more structured, and succinct reports. Besides, like the rules about speeding, dress codes and those silly laws about not using crack cocaine while sky diving, I look at them more as helpful suggestions than absolute law.

(Hearing the siren in the background, I glance in my rearview mirror, and see Officer Terry riding up next to me on his motorcycle. His thoughts hidden for a moment behind his mirrored sunglasses, he points to the roads shoulder and says "OK laddy, pull 'er over. Once stopped, I hear the crunch of gravel under his boots as he approaches. Standing next to my window, he pulls the glasses off, revealing his bloodshot eyes. With a rumbling drawl he tels me, "I'm going to need to see yur Poetic License" :eyebrow: )

Thanks Terry! Life would be no fun without your sense of humor.

John-Boy

I went to Anacapa with Pasley. Definitly great conditions, and wonderful diving. I posted my pictures if anyone cares to see them :)

See you tomorrow on the Yukon!

Sean

Anacapa Pictures:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/anacapa

:eyebrow:

Hi guys! I uploaded the pictures from Tuesday's LJ Cove dive. Just 13 pics, but has a huge scorpion fish and some sort of crab that made me slightly scared! John wasn't nearby so tell me what you think it is.

Have a good weekend!

Sean

LJ Cove pics:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/ljcove07132004

Off to see Harry Potter with the wife! But I do 3 dives tomorrow!!! :dazzler1:

divebuddysean:
I went to Anacapa with Pasley. Definitly great conditions, and wonderful diving. I posted my pictures if anyone cares to see them :)

See you tomorrow on the Yukon!

Sean

Anacapa Pictures:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/anacapa

:eyebrow:

Sean, Great photos (I looked at them all!) I especially liked the Garibaldi, the kelp and the Bat Rays. :eyebrow: See ya in the morning.

John-Boy

divebuddysean:
Hi guys! I uploaded the pictures from Tuesday's LJ Cove dive. Just 13 pics, but has a huge scorpion fish and some sort of crab that made me slightly scared! John wasn't nearby so tell me what you think it is.

Sean,

You've got some great shots, especially that good look'n dude with the light on his hood. :wink: The crab in question is a Southern Kelp Crab, not as nasty dispositioned as they look. I'm glad you got a picture of the giant Scorpionfish.

John-Boy

I uploaded the pictures from our Yukon/Ruby E/ Point Loma Kelp Dive on the Lois Ann. Conditions were great. The ocean was so flat, the sun was shinning, and everyone was very nice on board the boat! Man what a GREAT time. I'm sure John is going to be giving a dive report, so I will just post the pictures. Off I go for another dive at the La Jolla Shores! Last one for a few days! Get out and dive if you can!!!!

Yukon/Ruby E/ Point Loma kelp pics:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/yukonrubyekelp07172004

Have a good one!

Sean

Nice shots there Sean. Looking forward to the report.

Terry S.

After hearing glowing reports of yesterday's conditions at Vet's and Christmas Tree Cove I decided to hit Marineland early this morning. The ocean was pretty flat, so I entered off the point. I kicked out to the edge of the reef to conserve air for the traverse to the cove. When I got down to 75 feet, I was surprised to find eight feet vis at best. I skirted the edge of the reef toward the cove, but the vis just got worse. Inside the cove, the vis was less than one foot. Should have gone to Redondo. 55F, 0-8 feet vis, plenty of surge, but I did see a large Sheepcrab and Lingcod.

Date: 7/19/2004
The place: Shaw's Cove

I went down to Shaw's cove for two dives today. The viz for both dives was between 8 and 15 (if you hugged the bottom). Surge was pretty bad, typically 2-4 with some stretches where'd you move about 8'. Consequently, I wound up staying out of the arch, and didn't venture too much over the rocks. Temperature was good, a balmy 66. Today was the biggest surf I've ever seen at Shaw's - maybe 3'. That made the entries - easy. Lets face it, the waves have to be pretty gnarly before Shaw's becomes a tough entry, although the lifeguard did ask my buddy and I to forego our second dive. Saw the usual stuff (Mr. Garibaldi was everywhere, in addition to the usual fish). I usually see an Octopus or two, today's octopus was free swimming, that was nice. Also a 4' eel on the first dive, very nice. A Spanish Shawl on the second dive completed the creatuer hunt. Too bad the turbidity was so bad, I was hoping to get a wide angle shot of the arch. Not the kind of dive that's going to make you take a trip to So. Cal, but nice nonetheless. I'll eventually get around to uploading some full size pictures.

Back
Top Bottom