July 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Time: 1600

Hide Tide
Large South Swell all the way out to the buoy-really long swim
Max Depth: 89 ft
Average Depth 35 ft.
Temp on top 70
Temp below the 15ft 'cline 65
Temp below the 70ft 'cline 55
Visibility ranged from 8 to 15 ft. deeper is better
Total dive time 40 minutes

Troy and I met at Vallacetos and then drove two blocks away to park and gear up. I hate tourist, love their money, hate their cars.

It was a sweltering two block walk to the shores and then had to weave around the masses to get to the water line. Surf was manageable but the swell was a battle as we kicked out to the buoy. High tide made this a very long swim, at least it felt that way.

The whole plan for this dive was to try and get some better shots of the the one spot fringe head that is my subject Du jour this month. I took over thirty pictures, none are worth a damn. I don't care, I just keep trying.

Images (mostly of the same fish) are here: http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/LJS0727/

Troy was great buddy today and very patient as I lay in the sand and took shot after shot of the same fish. I just think he was trying to make up for TOTALLY FLAKING last time and not even calling...TROY!! But I digress.

Along with the fringe today, We had the usual swimming crabs, a way decorated crab that was invisibly when not moving, the biggest bay gobie I have ever seen at nearly 7inches. No, REALLY. As we cruised along the wall we spotted several White Dorids, as well as Noblis nudies and of course the sea hares that seem to be everywhere this summer. While Troy was snapping a shot of the gobies I moved up the wall and found what can only be described at a white centipede looking worm. I thought it was dead, but then it crawled along the wall. Never seen it before so Troy and I took a couple pictures. It was really strange looking. Before long we had to turn back toward shore, crossing a vast sand dollar bed as we made out way in. No bat rays today or any rays for that matter. One small Turbot in the shallows and we were done. After a quick rinse we made the now biblical crossing to the cars.

Not a bad dive and the vis is definitely dive-able if you get below the cline.

Terry S.

Date: July 25, 2004, Dive: 1
Time: 7:42 am
Site: Wycoff Cove
Water: 57F, vis 8-12', fairly strong currents
Max Depth: 97'
Bottom Time: 26 min
Notes: The currents were fairly strong. Windy conditions. Boat was swinging constantly. Vis wasn't so great, very murky.

Date: July 25, 2004, Dive: 2
Time: 9:34 am
Site: Point Bennet
Water: 55F, vis 10-15', fairly strong currents
Max Depth: 69'
BT: 40 min
Notes: Red abalone everywhere. I'm glad they're making a comeback. Went through a mini-cave. A playful seal lion swam with us for a while.

Date: July 25, 2004, Dive: 3
Time: 11:29 am
Site: Tyler Bight
Water: 54F, vis 10-20'
Max Depth: 58'
BT: 40 min
Notes: Even more abalone. Interesting double-wall formation. Managed to see some scallops.

Date: July 25, 2004, Dive: 4
Time: 1:00 pm
Site: Hunting Crook
Water: 55F, vis 10-15'
Max Depth: 57'
BT: 34 min
Notes: Lots of vermillion rockfish.

Date: 7-26-04
Dive Location: Los Coronados - The Keyhole
Time: 10:16 am
Bottom Time: 42 mins
Max Depth: 42 fsw
Vis: 40-50 feet
Wave height: boat dive small swell
Temp at depth: 64 degrees
Surface Temp: 64 degrees
Air Temp: 68 degrees
Tide information: no info

Comments: Roy and I met at Dive Connections early Monday morning. After a few minutes the operation was opening, and we were told the Yukon/Ruby E/Kelp dive was cancelled since
we were the only people who signed up. Never fear, another boat was heading to the Coronados Islands, 1.5 hours south in Mexican waters. We decided to do the 2 tanker, and got all
our gear aboard the boat. During our voyage southward, we saw a nuclear sub going by (not too close). 30 minutes out we got our gear ready. The skies were overcast, but it was warm, and the sun was trying hard to break through. We arrived at the keyhole, which is a massive "swimthrough" which is about 20 feet deep with each side going down much deeper. Roy, Giovanni, and I jumped in the water, making sure everyone was ok. We planned to drop to 40 feet, but it was clear 35 was going to be deep enough when we realized we had to swim upward to get through the keyhole. The surge was massive through the "keyhole." It would come and go from each direction. Each person had to navigate his own way, since we really couldn't stay together through the hole. I was trying to take some photos, so I would hold onto rocks or hide from the surge shooting during the lull. Eventually, after much kicking holding on, I emerged at the other side to find my 2 buddies. We continued on with the dive dropping down some massive boulders, eventually heading right down another passage. After one of us hit 1500 we headed back through the keyhole. This time is was even more surgy. I was heading through quite fast holding my hands in front of my head just in case. The difficuty was the change of direction the surge would take. I could move good distances but would be out of gas on a smooth rock with no shelter or things to hold onto. Soon I was on the other side, and met up with Roy and Giovanni on the other side. Giovanni returned to the boat. Roy and I continued on until we ran low on air, and headed back to the boat.​

Date: 7-26-04
Dive Location: Los Coronados - The Lobstershack
Time: 11:49am
Bottom Time: 54 mins
Max Depth: 57 fsw
Vis: 40-50 feet +
Wave height: boat dive small swell
Temp at depth: 64 degrees
Surface Temp: 64 degrees
Air Temp: 68 degrees
Tide information: no info

The DM told us there is a wreck in 50 feet of water so we all decided to check that out 1st. We all got into the water, and followed the DM on a small swim out to this wreck. After checking the wreck out, we headed back to the rocks. We cruised around looking into holes. Many fish all over. I saw an octopus, some Trigger fish, tons of blacksmith, rock wrasse, senorita fish, Sargo, tons of sea hares (huge too), black-eyed gobies, blue-banded goby, zebra gobies, sculpin, shrimp, and more. Check out the pics to see more! A very fun dive. Love to do it again!!!
Pics:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/loscoronados

Sean

Date: 7-27-04
Dive Location: La Jolla, Marine Room
Time: 6:38pm
Bottom Time: 64 mins
Max Depth: 17 fsw
Vis: 10-15 feet
Wave height: small swells
Temp at depth: 70 degrees
Surface Temp: 70 degrees
Air Temp: 70 degrees
Tide information: Extreemly high tide

Arrived at the marine room and secured my parking spot. Met up with John, the Kevin, his wife (sorry she had a pretty name), Larry, and Jen after we got our gear on. We kicked out and headed south over the sand as several sting rays would dart out from beneath us. We saw a few sculpin, a halibut, schools of Opaleyes, some Sargo, many lobsters, etc. Was a very nice warm dive. Had lots of fun. Later had a few scooners with John and then headed back homeward! Till next time!! :)

pics:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/marineroom7272004

Sean

Date: 7-28-04
Dive Location: La Jolla, The Cove
Time: 6:23pm
Bottom Time: 63 mins
Max Depth: 33 fsw
Vis: 10-20 feet
Temp at depth: 68 degrees
Air Temp: 72 degrees

Met up with Terry and John at the cove. We surveyed the dive spot and found conditions ideal. We entered by jumping off a rock backwards into the ocean off aligator head. We all entered with ease (tide was high, perfect height). We dropped down and the 3 of us explored the reefs and took pictures. We slowly explored the holes in the rocks and overhangs with our lights and cameras. We saw the usual suspects. I saw a sculpin but couldn't get a picture of it. 2 giant kelpfish red and green. We got seperated at the end, but were right in front of the stairs (perfect navigation by John). Thanks for the dive.

pics: http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/lajollacove728Sean

Sean

Great day of diving at La Jolla Cove. Vis was 15-20 with light surge. Tons of life and nice warm water. Get out there and dive.

The Pictures: http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/LJ Cove 0728/

THE STATS

Dive time start: 18:22
Moderate surface Swell with a High Tide and Light surge at depth
Visibility was a pleasant 15-20ft
Water temp: 71 at max depth, 73 in shallow
Average Depth 20ft
Max Depth 32 ft
total bottom time 1hr 05 minutes

It really was a wonderful dive. If conditions hold, take the family to the cove and and enjoy the warm clear water.

Terry S.

Sorry guys, that water is too warm for my 7mm, got to wait till it cools down again or go deeper, nice pics.

divebuddysean:
Date: 7-28-04
Dive Location: La Jolla, The Cove
Time: 6:23pm
Bottom Time: 63 mins
Max Depth: 33 fsw
Vis: 10-20 feet
Temp at depth: 68 degrees
Air Temp: 72 degrees

Met up with Terry and John at the cove. We surveyed the dive spot and found conditions ideal. We entered by jumping off a rock backwards into the ocean off aligator head. We all entered with ease (tide was high, perfect height). We dropped down and the 3 of us explored the reefs and took pictures. We slowly explored the holes in the rocks and overhangs with our lights and cameras. We saw the usual suspects. I saw a sculpin but couldn't get a picture of it. 2 giant kelpfish red and green. We got seperated at the end, but were right in front of the stairs (perfect navigation by John). Thanks for the dive.

pics: http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/lajollacove728Sean

Sean

Sean,

Looks like you had a nice dive. I need to get my butt back down to SD and dive the cove again with you one of these days.

-David

Date: 30 Jul 04
Dive Location: Long Point (old Marine Land) Palos Verde
Time: 8:34 a.m.
Bottom Time: 48:30
Max Depth: 24 fsw
Vis: 10 feet
Wave height: 1 foot or so
Temp at depth: 63 SUUNTO degrees thermo cline at 20 feet
Surface Temp: 63 Suunto degrees
Tide information:
2004-07-30 03:25 PDT -1.42 feet Low Tide
2004-07-30 06:04 PDT Sunrise
2004-07-30 09:58 PDT 4.02 feet High Tide
2004-07-30 14:29 PDT 2.17 feet Low Tide
SAC: 0.41

Comments:
Surf was about 1 foot and conditions were great. 4 divers braved the wrath of wifes and bosses to dive. Arrived on site and were greeted by houses standing where the parking lot is/was. Not to worry, after a little looking we say public access was provided. Just as soon as you come to the parking lot turn hard left to the Catalina Room, which takes you behind the site. The home site is actually a movie set under construction. My dive partner not comfortable with rock entry so we entered off the pebble beach. Dropped down immediately and swam west along the reef out and back. Usual suspects including a bat ray. A little surge in the shallows but not bad, only a couple of feet. We cut the dive short due to time constraints this being a work day after all.

Bughunter Bill took me out to dive the Fog Wreck and the wreck of the African Queen. MJG served as surface support due to a back injury, rug burns or something.
I wanted to share my great, stunning photos of the Wolfeels, but the water in my housing said not to. As I was preparing to turn on my camera I noticed the water, so Bill and I aborted the dive. I dried off the camera and we motored over to the African Queen, where Bill flooded his light. Bad day for O-rings. Still, we had fun. Fair vis, about 20 feet, 54F and flat seas. Happy Birthday Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom