July 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 31 July 04
Dive Location: Crescent Bay, Laguna Beach (Deadmans Reef)
Time: 8:36 p.m.
Bottom Time: 57:40 minutes
Max Depth: 46 FSW
Vis: 10-15, clear water
Wave height: 2-4 feet
Temp at depth: 63 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 68 Suunto Degrees
Tide information: 07/31/2004 Sat 03:23PM LDT 1.9 L 09:28PM LDT 6.9 H
Comments:
Met with divebuddysean, Andy and divercooke at the appointed time. Swam out along the reef to the West and dropped down on top of a reef. Followed the reef to the West, South West. Usual critters, including some free swimming worms of some type. This site always rewards with lots of life. Found a 3 foot horn shark which swam around for us, a sting ray and thornback ray, large sheepshead in a hole and lots of small bait fish. Waves were in the 2-4 foot range, and surface a little choppy. No problem with entry or exit. Good dive.

Date: July 31, 2004
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores
Time: first dive 1:10pm, second dive 4:55 pm
Bottom Time: first dive 38 min, second dive 32 min
Max Depth: first dive 53 ft, second dive
Vis: 15-20 ft at canyon edge, 6 ft inside white buoy
Wave height: 2 ft, with occasional 4-6 ft rogue waves (my term)
Temp at depth: first dive 63 Suunto deg F, second dive 66 Suunto deg F
Surface Temp: 70 Suunto deg F
Tide information: high tide at about 10:45 am
Comments: (Why do we put Suunto degrees? Is it a commentary about the accuracy of Suunto computers?)
So, as I posted in New2Scuba, my wife and I met two strangers from France and Japan, Thomas and Ryuji, at La Jolla Shores yesterday. We were going for our first dives since being certified, and it was with a little bit of anxiety. As it turned out, Thomas and Ryuji made us feel exteremly comfortable. Thomas is a PADI instructor, and that helped u s to relax. He also provided some great feedback along the way.

First Dive: I told the group that I would like to get to about 50 ft to see what the difference was at in buoyance control at that depth. They agreed that it was a good idea. After bending the ears of several divers who just came out of the water, and after checking out the underwater map at the main lifeguard station, we decided to walk to the south end of the park and then make our entry into the water. This would bring us to what appears to be the closest part of the canyon with respect to the beach. We swam 3/4 the way to the white buoy, and dropped down to about 15 ft. We had agreed on a course of about 270 degrees to take us out to the canyon. Unfortunately, one of our party (to remain nameless) became confused and was leading us toward 90 degrees, back to the beach. After several minutes, we decided that Thomas would lead the group to the canyon. After maybe 20 minutes of sight-seeing / swimming, we reached the edge of the canyon. It was considerably steeper than I had expected. And it really showed our lack of buoyancy control. The scary part was when I noticed that I was watching it happen (slowly sinking into the canyon) like I was watching TV! lol It was happening to my wife too! So, we woke up and inflated the BC a bit more, and everything was hunky dory. I DON'T want you to read about us in Accidents and Incidents! After checking out the canyon edge for a few minutes I reached our turn-around air pressure. We headed back in. Another thing we leqarned about ourselves, sometimes when we check our gauges we stop swimming. With Thomas and Ryuji in lead, sometimes my wife and I would fall behind when checking the spg or dive computer. In fact, the two pairs became separated during the return toward the beach. Both pairs stayed together (a good thing, staying with the buddy, esp when buddy=spouse). We searched around for Thomas and Ryuji for 2-3 minutes, and then surfaced. We weren't far from the white buoy when we hit the surface, and the other two were maybe 2 minutes behind us, 20 feet away. One of the contributing factors was the decreasing vis on the way in. We decided to go back down and swim in submerged for part of the way, and I lost buoyancy control, like a cork, when the bottom depth was about 10-12 ft. Then we swam on the surfacwe from then on. We didn't see very much wildlife, a few sea slugs, sand dabs, and bottle brushes (?). Of course the usual plethora of sand dollars. But, overall, it was a good shakedown cruise after not diving for 4 weeks after cert.

Surface Interval: We discussed the events of the dive, and did a very good debrief of the things that could be improved.

Second Dive: This time we swam all the way to the white buoy, and then dropped down to 24ft of water.We headed out at 270 for about 100ft (maybe) and then headed south to see if there was anything new to see. Mostly the same things: sand dabs, bottle brushes (I will call them that anyway), sand dollars, sea slugs. We did encounter two new fishies though. We saw an adult flounder, who was completey unaffected by our close observation. And we saw a terrifying horn shark (I swear it must have been all of about 9 inches! It was terrifying I tell ya!). Well, this dive was somewhat shorter than the first. Ryuji was very jetlagged, and my wife and I are not yet in tiptop diving condition. So we called it after about half an hour.

Surface Interval: We made it back to shore uneventfully. After packing up our stuff, we headed over to Joses' Court Room for some excellent, authentic Mexican dinners. After an interminable 10 minute (toungue firmly planted in cheek here) wait we got a table, and enjoyed some great post-diving camaraderie. We signed each others' dive logs, and ate til we could burst, and said our goodbyes to our new friends.

Thank you very much Thomas for reaching out to fresh newbies and making us feel extremely welcome.

The Stats:

Dive One: PB Reef
Time: 0757
Low Tide
Moderate Swell on the surface
Temp on Top 68 F
Temp on Bottom 53 F
Depth 51 average 73 max
Visibility: 5-8 on top with 10-12 on the bottom
Slight Surge
Total Dive time: 43 minutes

Pictures: http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/PB Reef 0801/

Dive Two: NOSC Tower
Time: 0930
Low Tide
Moderate Swell on the surface
Temp on Top 67 F
Temp on Bottom 54 F
Depth 36 average/62 max
Visibility: 5-8 on top with 10-15 on the bottom
Slight Surge

Pictures: http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/NOSC Tower 0801/

The story

Pacific Beach Reef

Jim and I met at Campland to load the boat but the tide was way out and the ramp there drops off too steep. Unwary boaters will drop the back wheels of the trailer trying to get deep enough to float the boat. Trust me!! With this in mind we hauled the boat over to Dana landing and its more accommodating ramp. Parking was actually easy and before long we had the gear in the boat and the boat in the water and we were off to see what we could see.

First dive site of the day was PB Reef. Jim and I had dived this spot last time and it was so nice we had to come back. It was a grey cloudy morning with moderate swell rocking the boat as we geared up and dropped in at the buoy. Descending down the line visibility was tight but enough to see the large schools of sargo and kelp bass hanging around. Dropping further we hit the first thermocline at 25ft and the second at 60ft. Brrrr and dang I wished I had brought the drysuit. Temp changed from near 70 at the surface to shivering 53 on the bottom. Visibility increased to 10-12 with lots of floaties in the column.

Camera's in hand we started to explore this little gem. Like last time the area with over-run with Tritonia Festiva. I never tire of taking pictures of these lace scrawled nudibranchs. Also on hand was the largest Anisodoris Noblis I have ever seen. This one was 4 inches long and fat with a beautiful white plume. Smiling around my reg I continued on. Large ling cod were cruising the reef or hiding in small overhangs. Schools of Sargo, blacksmith and Opaleye were also in attendance. The sand around the reef is littered with white and orange tube anemones as well as green and red anemones. Long before we ran out of air, we ran out of warmth and headed up the line to complete our stops and get back aboard to some hot coffee.

NOSC TOWER

After an hour of surface interval and no sunshine to warm us we dropped in at the Tower. As before we descended down the buoy line to the waiting wreck below. Although a shallower site, the visibility seemed better here with 10-15 and spots of 18ft making for a pleasant little dive. Exploring this jungle gym of beams and girders we found many many aggregating anemones, huge colonies of muscles, ruby-red lipped scallops, cabezon and scorpion fish. At the bottom was a huge mound of star fish in some kind of Greco Roman wrestling pile. I didn't want to disturb them to ask what all the grappling and hugging meant. Something’s are better left unknown. This dive site offers it all and venturing out from the structure there were halibut and turbot to be found. Kellet Welks (no relation to Lawrence) glided over the sand and silt in a slow rush to where ever it is they go when they have somewhere to be. Slipping around, over and under the wreckage revealed more and more life. Huge schools of curious kelp bass hung head down watching us pass by. Sheepshead cruised the upper structure while Seniorita fish nibbled on bits of algae like too thin models at a salad bar. As before, the cool water insisted that we get back on the boat. Hanging at our stop we watched the many schools of fish above, around and below us. The sun was peaking through above and its rays danced on the surface, beckoning us to return to is warm embrace.

Back on board and gear all stowed, we puttered back to the dock and then home.

Beautiful day of diving with Jim H. Hope some of you can make it next time.

Terry S.

Date: 07-31-2004
Dive Location: Crecent Bay, Laguna Beach
Time: 8:36 pm (Night Dive)
Bottom Time: 57:20
Max Depth: 46 ft
Vis: 15-25 ft.
Wave height: 2-4
Temp at depth: 61 degrees
Surface Temp: 64 degrees
Tide information: Higher tide
Comments: Met Mel, Andy, and Greg at Crecent Bay. Entered the surf and kicked through the first few waves, then proceeded out in front of the red stairs. On the kick out. We ran into the reef which was covered by the high tide. We moved around, then lined up with the Seal Rock and dropped down. We saw several different fish. Blacksmith, Garibaldi, Sargo, Scorpionfish, lobster, black-eyed gobbies, a Spotwrist Hermit, bat ray, Thornback Ray, a nice sized horn shark, Shovelnose guitarfish, and much more. We had an easy exit out of the surf.

Pics: http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/crecentbaynight6252004

Back
Top Bottom