Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
HHHhhaarrrrr! Yeah... Right... All shore duty!
HA!
Rick
Nothing wrong with shore duty...

Even though military service was mandatory here, choosing to serve as a NCO wasn't and carried an obligation to serve a few months extra.

Army Sgt. El, 104 MatBeVo cie... :)

i didnt read everyones posts, too much to wade thru. If you dont want to go, then just refuse. Do go see a lawyer but just so the recruiter cant BS you, because they will and do all the time. Purty much, unless you get that final swear in, your not in anything. you just swore into DEP, so what. If thats your choice, then make sure your happy with it. Now a little about myself. Ive been in the Unite States Air Force for 11 years now. I am assigned to a Special Ops unit out here in Japan. Last month i was in maylasia, an outstanding time.. before that i was in some other country and next month im sure ill be seeing somewhere else. Ive drank a glass of liqour or beer in more countries than the common american could point out on a map. There is good and bad with everything. I think if you just duck out now without taking advantage of what you HAVE signed up for, youll be cuttin yourself short. Things can get hectic in the military, sometimes the ops tempo is hard to deal with, but thats what standing up and being a man is all about. If your worrying about war, dude, your joining the navy as a navy diver.. your more than likely not going to be anywhere near harms way, except for the normal deep tech diver ones(unless you get assigned to some special warfare unit which i dont think they will assign a new diver to anyway). Make a choice.. do what you feel is right deep down inside. dont let your family or friends make the choice for you. good luck

Till you swear in , you can leave at any time . After you swear in , they own you.

Sometimes the things you don't want to do work out much better than those you do. Service for Uncle Sam can definitely be one of those things. Service to your country can change you, and after all the complaining and grief you may find you're actually proud of the change.

As we say in diving, ultimately it's the individual diver's decision. Hope you're at peace with the decision you make.

I was drafted, way back when, in the late 60's. Wound up in Viet-nam, extended another year did a second combat tour in Viet-Nam. I would NOT change anything !! I was a poor kid from the Bronx, got a college education after I returned, all paid for by Uncle Sam. The service made me what I am today. I could not ask for more.

Friend, I hope you have read each and every post here. There is more good advice here than you could find in a lifetime. Rich, JimLap (God, how I relate) and Gary D., you guys served your country well with your posts. Like our brother said, at some point, you have to mean what you say. Here in San Antonio I get to work with a large number of military personnel who want to learn to dive. I can't tell you the degree of satisfaction I get for working with them and I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with them as individuals. You have a choice to make. I can't tell you how quickly time passes and how quickly your time with the service will pass. I don't mean to make you feel guilty...just take another look at your reasons for joining in the first place. I had a teacher once, the smartest teacher I ever had, who told me that when you change an answer on a test, most often you change it to a wrong answer. Think long and hard my friend.

Joining the Navy was the smartest and most important decision that I ever made. I went through the nuclear pipeline and it made me grow up 100%. It also made civilian life seem like a cake walk. After I got out, I returned to college and then on to law school, thanks to the G.I. Bill. There is hardly a day that I don't think about how important the Navy has been in helping me reach my goals.
Good luck with your decision.

JimLap:
Guessing Danny-boy did not like what he was hearing. Has not been on since his second post.
Wonder if he's having a hard time finding Internet in Canada?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom