Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biggest mistake I ever made in my life was to go thru all the preliminary stuff, tests, talking to recruiters, career days, hanging out at the recruiters once in a while and then decided not to go thru with it at all. I went to college instead for something that I thought I would like because that's where the money was at the time. Ended up dropping out, working crap jobs, two divorces, and going back to school. Got a degree that is basically worthless because the school was thru a state job agency that had a contract to help displaced workers and all they did was take the state's money and give us nothing. Out of 22 people none got employment in the field.
My son on the other hand went in under delayed entry. Air Force. He is now in Monterrey at language school and has unlimited options open to him once he is done. I have never been more proud of him than when I saw him walk out onto that parade ground at Lackland and take his final oath. He went in as a typical teenager. Pants around the crack of his butt, unless I was around then he did not dare look like a slob, shuffling walk, if he wore a hat it was on crooked, and all that stuff that makes kids look like doped up lazy bums. After 7 weeks of basic he was turned into a different person. The slouch was gone, he walked upright like a man, the clothes had creases you could get cut on they were so sharp, but the biggest change was in attitude. Yeah he had that little swagger like don't mess with me but it was tempered with respect and authority. Walking around San Antonio with him and seeing not just him, but all these young men, treated with respect and seeing them return it by opening doors for strangers, addressing waitresses no older than them as "mam", responding to questions with yes Sir, No Sir, Yes mam, No mam, was remarkable. And then there were other things like watching a cute girl with some kid dressed like one of these hiphop bums walk away from him and start hitting on my son was WAAY Cool! His education is tough, there is alot of mental work, but he loves it. He's in Reno Nevada this weekend at a buddy's house for thanksgiving. He could not afford to come home for this, but will be for Christmas. He's getting an education worth over about 1/4 million dollars and getting paid to go. My ex and I could have never afforded this. He is serving his country, his God, all of us, and himself. You may have various reasons for not wanting to go. I don't know what they are and frankly don't care. But you made a commitment and now is the time to keep it. Otherwise it may very well turn into a pattern of breaking promises and resulting in a feeling down in your gut that will not be pleasant. I believe that every 18 yr old should at the very least go thru basic with no exceptions or deferrals other than physical or severe mental disabilities. Want to go to college? Fine but go to boot camp for 8 weeks first and learn how to be an adult. This goes for females as well. There would be less street violence, crime, and less general degrading of society as a whole. Before you say no to the navy think real hard about the alternative. A job at 10 or 12 bucks an hour that you hate with no promotions, lousy benefits and no respect from management. Or waste mom and dad's money going to college where the first semester will be spent getting loaded.

Suck it up, hold your head high and go to the service. If you don't want to be a diver fine, there are hundreds of other jobs. But don't make a decision you will regret for the rest of your life. Be proud of serving your country or don't expect anything from it.

Good luck with trying to get out of your contract...

I'm with Rick and Jim in saying suck it up... I signed up when I was 20 and haven't looked back since... it's been a good career for me.. Could I be making more money? maybe.... but signing up isn't/shouldn't be about the money... it's about duty and service to the nation.

It might be easy to get out of that. Go see your Army recruiter. I'd bet he will help you.:D

I have one thing in my life that has stayed with me more than anything else. It was my time in the Navy.

I was so scared when I went in my knees were shaking and I about tossed all my cookies. But once I settled in I didn't want anything else out of life and I was one proud sailor.

Being scared is natural. Just don't do something to get out that will screw you up for the rest of your life.

Good Luck in which ever way you decide to go.

Gary D.

I have seen 2 soldiers who got out of their contract. One was a practical nurse who complained that she spent little time with patients, and more time with vehicle maintenance. She got out with the help of a lawyer. The second was in the same boat as yourself. He got a 1 year scholarship with ROTC, dropped out of college, and wanted to go to helicopter pilot school. He was turned down by the pilot program, and was honorably discharged.

My guess is, if you fail to meet the diver's program qualification, you can opt out. My understanding too, is if you fail basic training, you can get out.

There are many way to leave the service, esp. if you haven't went to basics. Get fat, complains of leg pain, complains of anxiety, and you can get a honorable, although, "medical" discharge.

I think your chances of getting an honorable discharge is very high, unless you hold a skill that the military need.

fisherdvm:
My guess is, if you fail to meet the diver's program qualification, you can opt out. My understanding too, is if you fail basic training, you can get out.

There are many way to leave the service, esp. if you haven't went to basics. Get fat, complains of leg pain, complains of anxiety, and you can get a honorable, although, "medical" discharge.

I think your chances of getting an honorable discharge is very high, unless you hold a skill that the military need.
You tell me... does any of that sound 'honorable'? Look up the word malingering and what it means in the military.

1st off... Needs of the Navy. If you fail out of Dive School, you are off to another 'A' School that USN needs you in... or I hope you like chipping paint. Although I am a Nuke, our schools were just as demanding, and if someone failed out, they went where the Navy needed them... a couple went out to learn how to fix **** pumps.

As for getting out of your contract, you need to speak to your recruiter, they won't like it, but they are required to tell you the truth. If they don't, work up their change of command.

As someone heading back to a boat, if you don't want to do the job, don't join up. There is nothing I hate more than a kid who's too busy whinning about how the military is unfair and they would do so much better in the 'real world'.

Do yourself a favor, think about it. Are you willing to sacrifce for your country, while asking for little in return? If you end up joining up... don't become on of 'those guys' who feels the Navy owes you.

Don't worry Bub, the Navy is not going to hold you to your contract if you want out. They need committed players, not dilettantes. Good luck at whatever you do.

JimLap:
I have never been more proud of him than when I saw him walk out onto that parade ground at Lackland and take his final oath.
So very true. I darn near cried when I saw my daughter on that same parade field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom