Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the army for a few years. From what a former Sgt. of mine told me who changed mos's and became a recruiter , the paper work you sign in the recruiters office isn't a major deal. Its all the stuff you sign at meps that is, and even then its not to late to back out. If you want out its not too late, your not in the military yet. Think about it before you decide to back out, something made you go to that office and its worth figuring out what those reasons were before you take the next step whatever that may be.

Don Burke:
At some point you need to mean what you say.
Precisely.
Rick

I spent 20 years in the Coast Guard and am damn proud of it! Saw a lot of young men and women who had no clue what they wanted to be - most didn't even know why they signed up. But they did, many stayed for 20 or more, many got out after 4 years. I have yet to have any of them ever say they wished they had never joined. Most often I hear former Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coastie's say that they wished they had never gotten out. If you know anyone who served and is out now, talk to them. Most likely thats what they will tell you.

It's not a job, not a career, it's a life, a very different and rewarding life. It's thousands of hours of sheer boredom combined with a few hours of sheer panic. It's honor, dedication, and comradery. In the end, it makes you proud, it makes you what and who you are.

Those of us who are yanks - well we have a lot of freedom that othes don't have, maybe never will. We don't have the Freedom market cornered, but we do have it pretty nice here. I have many friends in the armed forces of other countries who provide safety and comfort to their masses as we do here. Freedom isn't Free.

Yea as has been said you can make more money in the civilian market - maybe. Money doesn't make you proud, it doesn't give you the true friends you will make in any of our armed forces. Money won't make you an honorable person. It certainly doesn't give you a real sense of accomplishment.

4 years is nothing but a moment in time for a typical life span. You can't change the past, but you can impact the future.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life - just what are you going to do with it?

With any luck someday you will be an old man like some of us. When those days arrive you WILL look back and reflect. We all do.

I know what I see when I look back, I wouldn't change a thing - not the good or the bad.

Wonder what you will see? Remember you can't go back and change it if you don't like what you see - you will be stuck with it.

But at the end of the day it's your life.

dan9125:
Hi, my name is Dan and I just signed the contract to become a US Navy diver yesterday. However, I made that decision in haste and now I want to back out. ...... I am in anguish and I would really appreciate any help.

Grow up!!! Suck it up and serve your country like many MEN have done before you and many will do after.

And, with any luck, the drill SGT will make a MAN out of YOU!!!

Gilless:
I spent 20 years in the Coast Guard and am damn proud of it! Saw a lot of young men and women who had no clue what they wanted to be - most didn't even know why they signed up. But they did, many stayed for 20 or more, many got out after 4 years. I have yet to have any of them ever say they wished they had never joined. Most often I hear former Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coastie's say that they wished they had never gotten out. If you know anyone who served and is out now, talk to them. Most likely thats what they will tell you.

It's not a job, not a career, it's a life, a very different and rewarding life. It's thousands of hours of sheer boredom combined with a few hours of sheer panic. It's honor, dedication, and comradery. In the end, it makes you proud, it makes you what and who you are.

Those of us who are yanks - well we have a lot of freedom that othes don't have, maybe never will. We don't have the Freedom market cornered, but we do have it pretty nice here. I have many friends in the armed forces of other countries who provide safety and comfort to their masses as we do here. Freedom isn't Free.

Yea as has been said you can make more money in the civilian market - maybe. Money doesn't make you proud, it doesn't give you the true friends you will make in any of our armed forces. Money won't make you an honorable person. It certainly doesn't give you a real sense of accomplishment.

4 years is nothing but a moment in time for a typical life span. You can't change the past, but you can impact the future.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life - just what are you going to do with it?

With any luck someday you will be an old man like some of us. When those days arrive you WILL look back and reflect. We all do.

I know what I see when I look back, I wouldn't change a thing - not the good or the bad.

Wonder what you will see? Remember you can't go back and change it if you don't like what you see - you will be stuck with it.

But at the end of the day it's your life.
Sorry to be a nudge, but..
You dont think Bill gates are proud of what he has accomplished? You dont think hes got a sense of accomplishment?
Sorry to break your balls here, but you sound like a recruiter yourself...

I HAVE served in the military. I DID go to live missions. I DONT regret it for one second that I served both the compulsary part (all males shall serve 1 year here, but its easy to get out if you wanna) and i signed up for more service afterwards. Its rewarding as hell and no, you wont make the same kind of friends elsewhere, cause people who havent served dont have a clue what its all about. However, saying its the only thing to be proud of and the only thing that will give you a sense of accomplishment is recruiter posterboy lines..

Ill tell you what MY conclusion is..
1. You will most likely see and experience things not everyone can handle.
2. You shouldnt serve unless you have thought it through.
3. If you serve, dont do it half-assed
4. If you decide not to serve, make sure its the right decision for you.
5. If you decide to serve, make sure its the right decision for you.
6. Dont let anyone push you in either direction. Take their advice as advice and nothing else. Its your decision to make, and ultimately your *** on the line.

Dan, back in 2000 I was 21 I signed with the Army. walked into the recruiters office with no idea what I wanted to do, I pick a job that sounded cool. I thought I needed to change my life, the road I was goin down. I got home, told my Father, GF, and friends. I caught s@#$ from them all. Everyone was telling me not to and to get out it. I signed on in the Delayed entry program, so I had plenty of time to think about my decision, and you know what? I thought I was making a HUGE mistake. I left for basic training on 12 June. The first night I was saying to myself "what the hell am I doing here!" I thought about all the things I could be doing or should be doing. I wont lie, it was tough, but the best part about it was that it was tough. I manned up and The thing about basic training is that they dont let you quit.

My basic and advanced was 16 weeks long, about half way through I walked out to the parade field for family weekend. When I saw my father for the first time, he could not get over the change that was made. exactly like Jimlap said about his son, I showed respect to everyone. I wasnt the same person. I carried myself differently, and I realized that I made the right choice even though everyone else thought it was wrong. You have to make this decision for your own reasons.

I spent 4 years in the military with 2 overseas deployment one being combat. I have never regreted it. The only thing I regret is getting out. The military is not easy. If it was everyone would do it. I do know that I would have regretted back out of my comitment. I gave them my word by signing that contract. even when things got hard (divorce, injuries, family issues) I never looked for a way out. The Army tought me that. You never give up. I use that everyday in my life. Some of the best experiences and decisions lie in the unknown. I would not be the man I am today with that decision.

You have to know if you go into this half assed you will make it even harder for you. give it all you got, show'em what your made of.

GOOD LUCK

Dive Safe
Mike

Tigerman:
Sorry to be a nudge, but..
You dont think Bill gates are proud of what he has accomplished? You dont think hes got a sense of accomplishment?
Gates has nothing to do with what Gilless posted. Nothing. Gates didn't sign up and then bail out, and is therefore irrelevant to the point Gilless (and others) are making, which is, simply, whether Dan is going to be a man of his word... or not.
My advice is to decide right now that contracts and promises and words have real meaning; if I say "I will" then I do.
Rick

"I swore in after being qualified and taken an oath on the same day. I signed the contract, had my fingerprint taken and job assigned."

Then you are in, no ifs, ands or buts. Unless you can prove you were mentally incompetent, under the influence of mind altering substances or that the recruiter or persons unknown had a gun to your back, you are now a sailor. They might let you out of it, it depends how desperate they are for divers right now.

I served six years as a submarine riding Navy Nuke back at the height of the cold war (1973-1979). I went in at age 17.

What happened? Someone tell you scary stories about bootcamp? Your girl friend threaten to break up? Your friends all start calling you names? First off, bootcamp is just a game they play with you, learn the rules (Not as many or as difficult as any video game you've played) and you will do fine. If the girl loves you, she will understand, if she doesn't, don't worry, the uniforms still knock um dead. Your friends will still be trying to figure out how to get a job at Micky-Ds, while you have full benefits, a paycheck, a place to live and three-squares a day, as well as training out the wazoo.

So calm down, is quitting this first real committement how you really want to start your adult life?

Mike

I tell you the reason not to join the navy.....

The navy is only for sississiesssss.......

Go Army, that's where real men are!!!

fisherdvm:
I tell you the reason not to join the navy.....

The navy is only for sississiesssss.......

Go Army, that's where real men are!!!
HHHhhaarrrrr! Yeah... Right... All shore duty!
HA!
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom