Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that's the case then let his journey down the road of regrets begin...

Awright, y'all... let's not be too harsh on the lad. We all struggled with those "growing up" decisions as teenagers, and most of us contemplated self-destructive decisions, and I doubt any of us never made a bad one.
For Dan - if you read this - this is the truth... as Wilson has so eloquently put it, if you back out on your word you will regret it. Whether you can "get away with it" or not isn't the question, but rather whether you want to be trusted - not only trusted by others, but trusted by yourself.
Or not.
Again I say, just stick to your word and GO NAVY!
You will love it.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Awright, y'all... let's not be too harsh on the lad. We all struggled with those "growing up" decisions as teenagers, and most of us contemplated self-destructive decisions, and I doubt any of us never made a bad one.
For Dan - if you read this - this is the truth... as Wilson has so eloquently put it, if you back out on your word you will regret it. Whether you can "get away with it" or not isn't the question, but rather whether you want to be trusted - not only trusted by others, but trusted by yourself.
Or not.
You will love it.
Rick
Well put Rick. :wink:

Gary D.

Rick Murchison:
Or not.
You will love it.
Rick
Personally, Ill say "screw the 'you have to do it'" bull****. There are people who have regretted going to the military and there will be more. Theres also people who never have a chance to regret it, cause they dont live through it!
As mentioned before, I did serve, I did go to warzones. I didnt regret it, but I DID see things that I dont want the wrong people to see and I do know people thats gotten serious issues from serving.
If youre not up to it, its the right decision NOT to do it. Its also a much tougher decision to make to go "hey, this is just above my level" and realizing that theres things you cant do than to just "go with the flow"...
Whatever the final decision will be it should be respected, altho he said hed do it to begin with.
Also, having worked with sales, and thats what recruiting is all about, I know theres a lot of dirty tricks being used out there and sometimes you just want to say "whatever" just to get rid of the people..

Tigerman:
Sorry to be a nudge, but..
You dont think Bill gates are proud of what he has accomplished? You dont think hes got a sense of accomplishment?
Sorry to break your balls here, but you sound like a recruiter yourself...

Rick Murchison has already answered this quite well.

I have never been a recuiter - I was operational my entire service.

And quite frankly after reading your other posts here (on SB) Tigerman I really don't give a rats *** about your opinion.

My question for Dan - is it the Navy you regretted signing up for or was it the diving program you regretted? I have heard that the diver program is hard. The program you choose can be changed to something you find more interesting or what the Navy needs more of and you have high enough qualifications for. As for getting out of the Navy obligation, I do not have the answer.

My brother joined the Air Force because he felt undirected. He now has 23 years in, has a masters degree, been to more countries than I can list, and our parents and I am so very proud of him. So is my son. He did have some periods when he did not want to re-up, but when the time came, he always did. He can retire with full pension, full insurance, etc. at the age of 45. I tried to join the USCG but was too blind.

You probably signed up for certain reasons. Go over those reasons again. By signing, you gave your word. It is up to you if your word is good.

Basic fallout is interesting...
Self interest, using the system, looking for loopholes, do what feels right, protect yourself, don't let anyone get anything over on you
- vs -
duty, honor, country, do what is right.
It's all in what you want to see when you look in the mirror in the morning.
The self-actualized modern man thinks I'm a fool.
That's ok; I think he's a weasel.
Rick

dan9125:
Hi, my name is Dan and I just signed the contract to become a US Navy diver yesterday. However, I made that decision in haste and now I want to back out. I tried calling my recruiter but he refused to give me an answer even though I'm not supposed to enter the field till April of 2007. Does anyone know what I can do? Is there any way I can back out or is it too late? I am in anguish and I would really appreciate any help.

I guess you could always use the "Don't ask, don't tell" route if all else fails.

Rick Murchison:
Basic fallout is interesting...
Self interest, using the system, looking for loopholes, do what feels right, protect yourself, don't let anyone get anything over on you
- vs -
duty, honor, country, do what is right.
It's all in what you want to see when you look in the mirror in the morning.
The self-actualized modern man thinks I'm a fool.
That's ok; I think he's a weasel.
Rick

Bravo Zulu!

Then what can we expect from the ranking man on SB?:D

Honestly I can't see this kid as having a worry in the world, his attitude will cause him to fail or he'll end up with a med discharge and pension for the great trauma inflicted upon him in boot...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom