Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The military is the best thing that could be offered to many young people without direction and life, and even for those with direction.

Our support for the troops should be unrelentless. Our support for the VA system should be twice what they currently are given.

Our support for reserves, nat guard, and the part time soldiers shoud triple.

The assumption that an O4 or O5 salary can maintain a medical practice is incorrect. As a reserve officer, a doctor makes only about 1/3 of his AD counterpart (doctor specialty pay was $20 to 50K, doctor additional pay was $15K, and retention bonuses a few more K's). None of this will be offered to a physician in the reserve, same rank, same duty. Not to slight AD physicians and nurses, they make less than their civilian counterpart in all areas, rank included. When I left the service, I received no separation pay. I had no retirement plan, no 401K.

When you are $100K in debt from opening a new practice, and had negative income for the first 2 years, you can understand my need to turn in a resignation letter. You can't shut down a medical practice when you leave for AD.... Someone has to maintain the charts and pay the rent...

fisherdvm:
The assumption that an O4 or O5 salary can maintain a medical practice is incorrect. As a reserve officer, a doctor makes only about 1/3 of his AD counterpart (doctor specialty pay was $20 to 50K, doctor additional pay was $15K, and retention bonuses a few more K's). None of this will be offered to a physician in the reserve, same rank, same duty. Not to slight AD physicians and nurses, they make less than their civilian counterpart in all areas, rank included. When I left the service, I received no separation pay. I had no retirement plan, no 401K.

When you are $100K in debt from opening a new practice, and had negative income for the first 2 years, you can understand my need to turn in a resignation letter. You can't shut down a medical practice when you leave for AD.... Someone has to maintain the charts and pay the rent...

You misread what I wrote, your family can certainly be provided for on the salary, your practice most certainly will not.

Just in case Dan is still following this thread...I'm one of the guys that backed out. I won't go into any details as to how I did it but I was in the DEP program. I decided I would rather go to school. It was the right decision for me. I was pressured by a family with an extensive military background. In fact, I was raised by my Grandfather who is retired as an Army recruiter after serving in three wars. After growing up with him and dealing with a pushy recruiter my decision was also made in haste.

I will say that I don't regret changing my mind and backing out but, I also have to back that up by saying sometimes I do wonder... what if...

Ultimately, all I can do is reiterate what everyone else has already said. You have been given some very good advice. Think about why you joined in the first place and why you want to back out now.

If it's education then I would suggest go through with your enlistment and take full advantage of the educational opportunities. You don't want to have to pay for it yourself. I'll let you pay my student loans if you don't believe. Also, as a young man you will not find a better job. Especially without a college education. You may have friends that have but, as a whole they are the exception and not the rule.

I say go in have a good time, meet new people, and share your experiences with us here on SB.

I think the OP bailed after post #12. It's too bad, there is an awful lot of good advice for him here.

I am newly certified and this is my first post on this board. I have been tracking this thread because of curiosity and to find out what Dan’s decision will be. I have been serving in the military for over 16 years and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. But it is not for everyone. All the advice that has been provided has been great and ultimately whatever Dan’s decides he will have to live with.

I have been deployed throughout the world and have been in many conflicts including Iraq. I prefer not to get into a political debate about Iraq because this is not the forum for it. I go to scubaboard for scuba advice and knowledge; however, I can not sit back and read fisherdmv post on how the government does not provide enough money for him and his practice when he was a reservist. Mr Fisherdmv then why did you sign up as a reservist? The US has an all volunteer force including the reserves, the draft been over for many years, and no one held a gun to your head to sign up for the reserves. It was your own decision and when you signed up for the reserves, you knew you could be deployed, and you knew how much you were going to get paid. How is the government at fault?

Back to the original post, Dan if you are still out there reading this thread good luck with the decision!

This is such a troll. Come on. This thread has been all over the map.

If this young man doesn't want to go into the program he doesn't have to go. If he doesn't feel he can do what he agreed to do then the Navy is best shed of him before he goes in.

TROLL

Since the last time he logged on was 4 days ago . . .

My son is in the Navy diver program and let me tell you, it is the easiest thing in the world to get out of. Because, they will only keep you if you truly want to be there. All you have to do, is drag your *** one time or panic underwater and your out. Keep this in mind. You will have a VERY long four years of scraping paint and painting gray paint. You should think about it carefully, you are lucky have the opportunity. Those guys get alot of respect. Why do you want out now?

TROLL TROLL TROLL

:D

Sea ya!

Good luck. Military life isn't for everyone, and if you feel you made a mistake, that doesn't make you a coward. My dad loved the army; some friends hated the navy and air force, and another guy I know lives to talk about his marine corps stories. There are a multitude of rewarding careers in and out of the military. Different strokes for different folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom