Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard rumors for years that if you refuse the oath that you take on your last visit to MEPs prior to shipping out that you are out. Not sure if it is true. While going though boot camp in '97 we had several people "leave" for various reasons ranging from drugs to not being able to handle the vigors of waking up early.

Being in the Navy is probably the best thing that I ever chose to do. Thats after 10 years of being on sea duty overseas (I am transfering back to the states on Wednesday). It is a pretty good job with all chances for advancement (promotion) that you want. Your "I will" goes a lot further than you IQ.....especially at the more junior ranks.

Not sure what advice to give you except what has already been said....if your heart is not in it you probably are not going to be successful and are going to spend most of your time counting down the minutes until you get out.

I swore in after being qualified and taken an oath on the same day. I signed the contract, had my fingerprint taken and job assigned. Can I and will there be a problem if I refused to oblige to the contract and refuse to go to boot camp? Is there another oath that I will have to take before I get shipped out or is this final? Have you heard of anyone who has done this before? Does anyone know if there is a grace period for contracts in New York? Thanks for everyone’s help.

I wouldn't delay, and I wouldn't take internet advice. I would be on the phone with a lawyer right now if it is important to you.

Brent

hunter991:
Most states have a 3 day grace period that you can back out of any contract. At least NC does.

Brent

I believe that a federal government contract will trump the state law. I would check with a lawyer, but in most cases I am certain that the 3 day grace period will have no affect on military contracts

NY does have a 3 day grace period for contracts, but I don't know if military contracts fall under a separate type of rule.

This has nothing to do with states and contracts as he is dealing with the Federal gvt. I served in the Navy for 7 years, would have made it a career, but had a bad accident and now I am a disabled vet. As far as your situation is concerned, I will send you a PM as I don't wish to make it public information.

Hey Dan,

Just a note from across the pond. Like the good ole boys from the US, us Brits are very passionate about our country. I served three years with the Parachute Regiment and saw active duty in The Gulf (Part1) and Bosnia. I didn't have a troubled upbringing and although not rich, I had a great Mom who raised me well and the best she could. That aside, as with most young lads, I wasn't the most responsible and disciplined. To use a cliche, the Army made me who I am today, gave me self discipline, a sense of pride, a sense of kinship that you just won't find anywhere else on earth because when the bullets start to fly you realise who your brothers are and how much they care about you. I have been lucky to meet many who I call brother: Brits, Americans, German, Dutch and even Scottish!:D plus many many more. You will not find this anywhere else so if you just join for a short service it will change your life forever. It's not all roses I won't lie, pretty much all of my training unit shed a few tears during the beastings from the training team, missing home and loved ones however, we shared so much more laughter too and this is what keeps you going. When you come out the other side, fully trained and ready to serve, the feeling is one of 'untouchable' and nothing I want to acheive is beyond me.

Your country will always need someone, and that someone can be you.

One of your DP's said it best. Ask not what your country can do for you...

You have this opportunity to take your place alongside your brothers and change your life forever. If you only give a few short years, your nation will owe you a lifetime of gratitude which I beleive at the last count was about 270Million! Pretty impressive fan club. We all question our decisions but you should experience it before you question whether it was the right thing to do and the answer will present itself. I think you'll be surprised.

Take pride in yourself
Take pride in your country
Take pride in your brothers.

Oh, and don't let the b"sta5d drill sgt get you down!!:wink:

dan9125:
Can I and will there be a problem if I refused to oblige to the contract and refuse to go to boot camp?
Maybe... lots have bailed between taking the oath and starting training without consequence (other than what it does to them personally, in their gut, where they have to evaluate the efficacy of their character). On the other hand, your obligation is clear - you made it - and the government can, if they want to push it, make you stick to what you said you'd do, or punish you for backing out.
But they probably won't.
You're the only one who has to live with your decisions.
My advice? Suck it up and go. You'll end up loving it.
Were I your age I'd go again in half a heartbeat!
Hell, if they'd let me, I'd go again now!
Rick

I signed an HPSP scholarship, which is different than an ROTC, as I was directly commissioned into the Army reserves. That is an automatic 8 years of reserve duty.

As I understand, your ROTC contract is essentially an enlisted personnel contract. I think it does have a 7 or 8 year clause.

If you have a skill that the Navy need - ie. nursing, pharmacy, etc. ... They will milk you for all you are worth.

If you don't... Most likely they will release you from your contract. You will just need to let them know in writing.

The military doesn't like unhappy soldiers. The only unhappy soldier I've seen them kept was a pharmacist who wanted to play soldier and signed up for ROTC for fun.

He didn't even get any money, and thought that it was a free game.

Unfortunately, it would have been a free game, if he wasn't a pharmacist.

He was surprised when he received order to Ft. Sam Houston. Angry as heck, as he didn't even get a penny of ROTC money.

Back
Top Bottom