Joining the Kentucky Piranha Patrol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

basilbowman:
Beverage? Prithee good sir, speak on...this wouldn't happen to be the kind of beverage that does interesting things when opened up at 40ft, would it?

Referencing some wise souls I read elsewhere...

Don't know about 40', I prefer mine on dry land, but it could be the beverage of your choice.

Actually carpenter, I was perusing a thread the other day and noticed you had been fairly prolific with your posting on it for a while. Remember that thread about blowing up a tank with a rifle? Whatever ended up happening? I gave up after about the 65th page or so...

Ahhh, the infamous whalerkyle versus tank thread. The first time around the tank lost but it didn't explode. There is a good video in there someplace that kyle posted.
Still haven't heard from Kyle about the second go around, infact I'm really not sure what he is going to do this time around. I think it involves explosives this time. :D

That's the one...I gave up, but now that I know there's a video, I'm tempted to spend another six hours of my life bumming around there looking for it. Fair enough

I have a question for anyone with an answer. I am looking to buy a scuba tank either from a local shop or from an online store. I was wanting to know if I bought one online do I need it hydro tested and would it look very stupid walking into a dive shop with a tank that has a date already stamped on it that says it was hydro tested earlier this year? I am looking at buying either an aluminum AL80 or a steel LP tank, only problem with the steel is that they seem to only come in HP and I keep hearing that this is bad for your equipment. Looking for some ideas on my dilemma and any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Shawn

Shawn,

If you but it online it should come ready (hydro & vis). Ask before you buy, but I have never seen it any other way. Screw in the valve and take it to your LDS for a fill. It shouldn't be a problem.

There are LP tanks all over the web. I have had great service from Phil Ellis:
http://www.divesports.com/IndexPages_Cat/cylinders_cat.htm

Dave

All new tanks from the online shops come with the hydro and VIP... So, you don't need to worry about it. Some LDS might insist on your having the new VIP. If then, don't go to that shop. :wink:

If you can afford, get the LP tank, not AL tank.... It is much more practical in the long run. HP tanks are basically from the LP tanks without having +/- rating, but it is hard to get the right fill unless you have your own fill station.

I second the LP suggestion.
I bought my steels from my LDS. They were $15 more at the LDS but I didn't have to pay shipping. Plus I got my first fill for free so I came out money ahead. Also it supported my LDS and helps keep their doors open.
I have heard of online tanks not being VIP'd and they need to be before filling. They all will come hydro'd but I have seen "new" tanks that have sat on the shelf for a couple years so you are loosing that time of the hydro. If ordered from your LDS then you know that they are going to be fairly new.

Shawn, do all of us a favor and at least partially fill out your profile.

Hello all,
Hope we all made it through the winter. I can feel the temperature warming as Im typing. Hopefully we will have a good dive season this year. Anyone have any plans for this new year. Thinking of going down to pennyroyal when it opens in about another 2 months. I dont know about you but Im ready for winter to be over with.

diverdown231:
Hello all,
Hope we all made it through the winter. I can feel the temperature warming as Im typing. Hopefully we will have a good dive season this year. Anyone have any plans for this new year. Thinking of going down to pennyroyal when it opens in about another 2 months. I dont know about you but Im ready for winter to be over with.

You can? I'm freezing my tush off right now:D . I think there's a trip to Pennyroyal in the works. There's some stuff in the "DM course delayed" thread. I second your vote for winter to be over.

Back
Top Bottom