Hello from NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm impressed you made the transition from tropical to cold water diving! A lot of folks struggle when they first dive with thick suits, a lot more weight, and cold water.

(And for what it's worth, I learned to dive in 1985 and didn't make it to the USAT Liberty until 2018. You got a treat early!)

It's kind of traditional to have a barbecue on the boat on the way back (ask when you book). Showing up with some awesome food for everyone to share is always a good idea.

How about catching it while down? 🤣

I'll look into it for hopefully fall

Welcome! Another thumbs-up for the Big Apple Divers here in NYC, especially if you're interested in local diving. Go to one of their monthly meetings.

June/July are the flattest months for diving. Late August/early October is surfing season, so if Atlantic hurricanes are active, it's tough to get out. You can do great dives on those wrecks in October/November as well, with the right day.

The lobster/scallop situation can be amazing but check with the charter captain in advance re: permits. When I was a NY resident, I had to get a DEC permit from the state. As for spearing fish, I won't bore you with big shark stories, but I don't do that on decompression dives anymore. Enjoy!

June/July are the flattest months for diving. Late August/early October is surfing season, so if Atlantic hurricanes are active, it's tough to get out. You can do great dives on those wrecks in October/November as well, with the right day.

Just got the revo so I need to get pratice in before I start doing deco dives on it. I was shocked how different CC is compared to OC

The lobster/scallop situation can be amazing but check with the charter captain in advance re: permits. When I was a NY resident, I had to get a DEC permit from the state. As for spearing fish, I won't bore you with big shark stories, but I don't do that on decompression dives anymore. Enjoy!
You're lucky. In the Maritime Provinces only licensed lobster fishermen can take lobsters. If anyone else does in any manner they can confiscate your equipment, fine you and even take your car. The lobstermen worked that deal some decades ago with the governments.

Just got the revo so I need to get pratice in before I start doing deco dives on it. I was shocked how different CC is compared to OC
I remember feeling like a total loser after day one of CCR training . . . (why did I do this? I can't believe I spent all this money, etc.) Call the waaaaaaaambulance, lol.

I remember feeling like a total loser after day one of CCR training . . . (why did I do this? I can't believe I spent all this money, etc.) Call the waaaaaaaambulance, lol.

Pretty much I went from excellent bouyancy to none literally overnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom