Jet Fin vs Rocket Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi David, What were those Beuchat fins called? Why did they have straps as well as fullfoot pockets? hon

They were simply called "Jetfin", Hon. Note how the name is all one word. I have one of their original flyers and the Jetfin is captioned "la palme à tuyères" (literally "fin with blast-pipe/nozzle") and "championne du monde (world champion)".

Several European fin designs of the late 1950s/early 1960s, notably Cressi's, featured heel straps as well as full-foot fittings. A few even came with instep straps. I imagine the purpose was to add security to the fins so that they wouldn't detach from the feet in rough waves. Another method of securing full-foot fins was a pair of fin grips, or "fixe-palmes" as they were dubbed by the original patent holder, also Beuchat of Marseilles.
__ImageGrabber.axd

A Turkish diving equipment company, Free-Sub, still retails full-foot fins with additional heel straps:
7.jpg

Free-Sub
As you can see, it's a Jet Fin clone.

scubaops:
how do the scubapro jet sport fins compare to the jet fins?

I've never heard of Scubapro Jet Sport Fins. Sometime in the late '70s Scubapro stopped making Jet Fins and started to make Lightning Jet Fins. The difference is the blend of rubbers. You can easily tell one from the other because of the addition of a lightning bolt through the Scubapro logo. Usually Lightning Jet Fins are referred to as Jet Fins. Sometimes folks get confused because Scubapro also makes a split fin they call Twin Jets. Twin Jets are not Jet Fins.

I've never heard of Scubapro Jet Sport Fins. Sometime in the late '70s Scubapro stopped making Jet Fins and started to make Lightning Jet Fins. The difference is the blend of rubbers. You can easily tell one from the other because of the addition of a lightning bolt through the Scubapro logo. Usually Lightning Jet Fins are referred to as Jet Fins. Sometimes folks get confused because Scubapro also makes a split fin they call Twin Jets. Twin Jets are not Jet Fins.

turns out they are the lighting jet fins not the original jet fins. so what difference does the different blend of rubber make? :D

Having never dived with the original Jet Fins, I can't say from experience. Going from memory, I believe Scubapro's old catalogs said the new blend gave the fins more power and speed. It has been over 20 years since I read the info, so don't bet the farm on it.

I have the Scuba Pro Jet fins and the OMS Slipstreams, I prefer the Slipstreams I find the Jet fins to heavy and can get pretty tiring if you have a long fin out to a wreck from the shore, although some people would find the heavier weight to their advantage when diving with a dry-suit, for me they drop my feet so I have to make an effort to keep my feet off the bottom.

That's a myth.

Lightning Jet Fins are slightly negative in sea water. When I put one of my boots in one of my XL Lightning Jets it's actually neutral in sea water. Jets do not pull your legs down.

I'm diving in fresh water so less buoyant than sea water, in a dry-suit with rock boots which are negative not like your positive neoprene boots, never said they pull my legs down but did mention my feet which they do. Note I did mention some people prefer the negative buoyancy characteristics of the Jets so I guess you would be one of them, In addition I did say they felt heavier that the OMS Slipstreams when under the water diving which they do, so do yourself a favor and way up the facts before you make contradictory statements.

How do they pull your feet down while leaving your legs up?

Yes, in fresh water they will be more negative. Rock boots are not positively buoyant, but if you have any air at all in the feet, the dry suit feet will be positively buoyant. Jet Fins will not pull your legs or your feet down, even in fresh water.

There are no contradictory statements in my post.

So Walter what does "That's a myth" refer to? if not contradictory as for them pulling my feet down what I should have said is feel heavy on my feet added to this I found the Jets harder work than the Slipstreams, when I have them side by side above water the Jets are definatley heavier so another disadvantage when traveling, if you have a different view that's OK it all comes own to opinion.

You think my saying, "That's a myth." is contradictory with the rest of my post? What did I say that contradicts it?

"That's a myth," refers to your stament, "they drop my feet so I have to make an effort to keep my feet off the bottom." Folks think Jet Fins are heavy. They are not. They are heavier than plastic fins, but they are still pretty light.

If you are traveling and if ounces matter in getting your luggage within a weight limit, they may be considered heavy, but I'd rather leave soap, shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brush, etc. at home and buy them at my destination than dive without my Jets. Heck, buy a travel vest and move weight from your bag to your pockets.

David_57:
I found the Jets harder work than the Slipstreams

I've heard good things about Slipstreams, but I've never tried them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom