Jet Fin vs Rocket Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that shooting Rocket fins full of holes hardly has any effect upon their propulsive potential any more than shooting a cement block full of holes would make it float much better.

N

Ah yes, but sooooo satisfying............especially with a Pistole Tejas in 44 Colt..............

Last edited:
Get a free Photobucket account, upload your images to photobucket, copy and paste correct format (last one below the uploaded image
) into these "reply to thread" areas. And Presto, here they be.

Photobucket image hosting as well as the many others do not take up space on the forum's server. That are just auto links.

And, by the way. The "venturi" slots of the Nemrod fins don't work. They just become heavy, stiff paddle fins. Neat idea, too bad about the result.

OK. so it IS a link. I found where to "link" a photo but don't have a website so I didn't try it out. I'll look into Photobucket. Thanks.

As far as the Jet Fins idea of channeling the water from the "dead spot" (I may be mistaken but I think that was what they called it and I think the article was in Skin Diver Magazine) at least seems like it would help somewhat and by sending it out the tip of the fins *might* be a small improvement but no, I do not think for a second that if an actual venturi can get started that it would continue long enough to do any good at all. I guess I'll have to try plugging the venturi holes on one fin and see if there is a difference.

I sure made a mess out of that, to say the least. And someone was wondering why I didn't answer their personal message. Sometimes I'm amazed that I can even log onto ScubaBoard.

OK, I'm gonna try it again.... maybe not....

Attachments

• NemrodVenture.jpg
    NemrodVenture.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 204
Well, that was exciting. Now if only I could find a picture of the Seasport fins. I could take one with a digital camera but I'm still trying to get my Super 8 u/w movies onto VHS so it may take a few more years.

In any case today (in my swimming pool) I compared all of my fins, in some cases with one kind on each foot, and I have to say I like the Seasport fins the best. The only other thing they say on them is "Hecho in Mexico." My wife bought them around 1983 and they were a sort-of generic thing at the LDS. I couldn't find any mention of them anywhere online with any kind of search. At least they still make Jet Fins. I have to say that for as long as I used the Venturi fins I don't really like them all that much compared to some others. They are OK but tend to put a lot of stress on the instep. I had a Jet Fin that I found on the beach and, at least at the time, the story was that ScubaPro would let you buy just one if you lost one. I don't seem to have it anymore so I probably gave it to someone else who had one.

As for the rocket-type (Sportways?) fins I left those behind with an x-girlfriend. Now I sorta wish I still had them after reading about how shooting holes in them does not improve them. That made me wonder if a 12 gauge would soften them up a bit.

OK, I recant, I did say the Rocket Fin was the worst flipper ever made but y'all went and out done me again and dug up a Nemord Venturi fin, lol, yep, those suck even worse than a Rocket.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom