Jet Fin Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The extra weight of the Jets are an asset in the dry suit, that I expect i will not want to lose by using the F2's.

Ankle weights get you to the same end result.

Why add even more gear to the mix, if a simple choice of fins does the same job though? Not that I do not occasionally try ankle weights, or a weight in a pocket, if I am experimenting, but when a pair of fins does the same job, I say use the fins

I've been diving Jets for years, and like most Jet Fin users, I think they're the greatest fins ever made. I can't imagine diving with anything else. The one issue I have with them, though, is their size.

I'm really trying to minimize gear and streamline these days, and I've become a warm water wimp. Due to their weird sizing, from my drysuit days and from using heavier booties to match my drysuit boots and avoid needing 2 pairs of fins, my Jets are XL. Their HUGE! For warm water diving with a single they're a little bulky. Even worse, ever try snorkeling with a pair of XL Jets? It's like having 2 rudders strapped to your fit.

I wish the foot pocket on the large wasn't so much smaller than the XL. I know I could switch to a lighter weight bootie, but I like having the heavier sole, in case I'm shore diving in a rocky area. If I was to go that route, I'd rather just lose the booties all together. If they made them, I'd even seriously consider full foot Jet Fins.

I love my Jets, I just wish I could switch to a smaller size for warm water diving and snorkeling! Any suggestions?

I have had the same issue, traveling with gear and bumping past the 50 pound limit, especially on return. Every pound counts and I can knock nearly two off by going to Quattros. I use the same boots with either the Quattro or the Jet XL (size 11 foot). Thing is, the Quattros are just as big and slightly longer and unfortunately, they will fold up on me at my maximum effort unlike Jets. So, for now, I still use the Quattros for travel but I am looking for a more ideal travel fin and have not found one.

Jets really are not that big and I have never considered them to be particularly stiff, especially out on the tip. I have no problem maintaining good trim with Jets regardless of wetsuit or no suit. I am coming close to dumping the Quattros and trying to save weight elsewhere, not sure where that would be though. A pound and a half is a lot and I need that to stay under the limit. Some of the other fins being suggested that look sort of like a Jet, well, I have not tried them all but so far, no winner, too stiff, and just do not perform like a Jet when I put the pedal to the metal and it is Go Time!

N

Why add even more gear to the mix, if a simple choice of fins does the same job though? Not that I do not occasionally try ankle weights, or a weight in a pocket, if I am experimenting, but when a pair of fins does the same job, I say use the fins

Then show us a pair of negative "Jet like" like fins that that will fit his bulky boots without being massive paddles. The OP is not alone.

By all accounts there is an opportunity for some enterprising fin maker. Till that happens there is not a 1 item solution.

Piete

I don't even need them to be negative, since I don't dive dry anymore. A little smaller, a lot lighter, and just about as stiff, would be perfect. For how often I do those so called rocky shore dives, maybe just switching to a different bootie, and smaller Jet is the answer? I really am considering trying out a full foot fin. Or maybe just a second pair of smaller fins just for snorkeling? But I've always been a fan of having less, multi purpose gear.

A moderate size 9/10 boot will work well in a "L" Jet.

A moderate size 9/10 boot will work well in a "L" Jet.

I disagree, I'm a size 8 us and couldn't even get close to getting the L jet on my foot, it's an old mold and has been a complaint since the mid 60s when they came out. A Large jet = s-m

For what it's worth, I've seen more divers slip, loose their balance, and nearly twist their ankle when navigating a rocky course wearing hard sole booties.

Soft soles, while they may hurt a bit if you're jumping from rock to rock, allow you to wrap your foot around rocks to get a better grip. More surface area contact is possible to avoid sliding across a slippery rock point.

Just my experience is all.

OMS slipstreams, same styling as the jets, but lighter. That doesn't help with the size of the fin, but if you want to keep the same heavy bootie that's a way to do it.

I saw a pair today and I'm getting some, they are much lighter than my HOG tech fins.

Sent from my DROID X2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom