Jet Fin Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then show us a pair of negative "Jet like" like fins that that will fit his bulky boots without being massive paddles. The OP is not alone.

By all accounts there is an opportunity for some enterprising fin maker. Till that happens there is not a 1 item solution.

Piete

I am currently using a fin from a company in the Philippines, it is similar to the Jets(which I still own and use occasionally), but these are lighter,a little less stiff. and still negative.

The fin does not show up on the website, but the companies website is

Aquamundo Sports Official Website ... They are really inexpensive....

Cheers,
Roger

Then show us a pair of negative "Jet like" like fins that that will fit his bulky boots without being massive paddles. The OP is not alone.

By all accounts there is an opportunity for some enterprising fin maker. Till that happens there is not a 1 item solution.

Piete

The big blade of a scubapro jet fin, or a hollis F1, is there for several reasons, and going to smaller fins will usually negate much of what had been accomplished with these designs.....for using leg power and attaining speed, you need the leverage a "long flow over the surface" of the bigger fins. The only exception to this I have seen in force fins, with the Hockey and Excellerating Force fin models, though they have many models I have not yet tried, and I am inclined to think that you could find one that will match your power output specifics.....

The other big issue in fin size is the control surface, assuming you will at some point desire to have precise control in the water...examples would be when you penetrate a shipwreck, and are in a small area, and MUST have very precise mody positioning at all times, no silting, and be able to maintain comfort and relaxation at this all the while....jets and hollis are spectacular at this, as they are in cave diving for the same reasons. Excellerating force fins achieve this precision also. The hockeys did not...their was insufficient control surface or shape, to allow zero front or backward travel but still maintain a precise hover....in other words, if you have to stop swimming forward, can you stay exactly in position, and not be kicking all over the place to try and stay in position.

Stubby jets are still control surface fins, but with less blade length, they will produce less speed, and while easier to kick, they are at least as inefficient as the large bladed jets.

Why again is the big huge bootie the defining issue? Personally, I want my foot close to the fin bottom..a thin sole, just like a bike shoe on a clip on pedal, for maximum power transfer and maximum feel and reaction. A 1 inch thick sole on a bike shoe, would DESTROY the rider's ability to do what they were used to doing with the thin carbon soles used in good bike shoes today.

I disagree, I'm a size 8 us and couldn't even get close to getting the L jet on my foot, it's an old mold and has been a complaint since the mid 60s when they came out. A Large jet = s-m
I agree, I'm only a size 8 and a L Jet Fin is too small, unless wearing VERY light weight boots. The boots I have now have a little bit of space in the XL, but the foot pockets on the L are so much smaller that I really doubt they'd fit.

A 1 inch thick sole on a bike shoe, would DESTROY the rider's ability to do what they were used to doing with the thin carbon soles used in good bike shoes today.
Cyclists rarely have to walk over rocks to get to the dive site! I can't imagine doing a few of my favorite dives without my OTBs. Yes, they are overkill for my boat dives, but I like the feel. I also like the blade real estate of my XXL Bat Fins (Hollis F1).

Cyclists rarely have to walk over rocks to get to the dive site! I can't imagine doing a few of my favorite dives without my OTBs. Yes, they are overkill for my boat dives, but I like the feel. I also like the blade real estate of my XXL Bat Fins (Hollis F1).

OTB's and Rockboots are different. Like hiking boots they have a bit of flex and cleat-like threads. But hard sole wet booties, like the OP is wearing, are extremely rigid and provide no flex at all. Their threads are also almost always flat as far as I've seen. There's a huge disadvantage to this trait when walking a jagged big rocky course.

OTB's and Rockboots are different. Like hiking boots they have a bit of flex and cleat-like threads. But hard sole wet booties, like the OP is wearing, are extremely rigid and provide no flex at all. Their threads are also almost always flat as far as I've seen. There's a huge disadvantage to this trait when walking a jagged big rocky course.
I've never even tried on a Rock Boot. My OTBs provide all the protection I need and don't seem to affect my swimming much. I can't count the number of people who look, point and say: "You're diving in, in, in those???" While I do some boat diving with Mares Full Foot volos, I feel confident that whatever comes at me, my OTBs and I will be able to deal with it.

I can't imagine doing a few of my favorite dives without my OTBs. Yes, they are overkill for my boat dives, but I like the feel. I also like the blade real estate of my XXL Bat Fins (Hollis F1).
Shore diving in Key Largo! Where?

Shore diving in Key Largo! Where?
Actually, Canon Beach in John Pennekamp Park is a fun dive and the rocks on the beach will eat up bare feet. However, I dive all over the world from the springs in North Florida to shore diving off of Bonaire etc. I also am part of the National Fishing Committee for the BSA and teach Scouts how to flyflish. I love my boots when I have to navigate a rocky stream bed. If we do a full week, I am usually the only one without foot rot at the end. OTBs have a superior draining system.

I don't even need them to be negative, since I don't dive dry anymore. A little smaller, a lot lighter, and just about as stiff, would be perfect. For how often I do those so called rocky shore dives, maybe just switching to a different bootie, and smaller Jet is the answer? I really am considering trying out a full foot fin. Or maybe just a second pair of smaller fins just for snorkeling? But I've always been a fan of having less, multi purpose gear.

I'm a fan of the jets too but their weight and size is really starting to get old when traveling.

I too have researched tons of fins and as much as I want a all in one fin there really isn't one.
The closest to a jet n is still powerful as heck but lighter is the OMS slipstreams.

Alternatively if you don't mind the length, the mares quattros and cressi master frog/and master tek are also similar but these are really powerful fins and can really wear you out fast especially on surface swims back to the boat.

The next range would be the mares supperchannels and wave, lighter and less powerful but a lot easier to use overall.
Wave video

I am however, considering freediving fins like the Imersion E:black Open Heel Fins for when I suspect currents to become an issue. I suspect they are also a lot lighter then the jets.

Cheers

So I finally decided on the Slipstreams just to find out they've been discontinued! :( I can't find them anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom