Jet Fin Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving Jets for years, and like most Jet Fin users, I think they're the greatest fins ever made. I can't imagine diving with anything else. The one issue I have with them, though, is their size.

I'm really trying to minimize gear and streamline these days, and I've become a warm water wimp. Due to their weird sizing, from my drysuit days and from using heavier booties to match my drysuit boots and avoid needing 2 pairs of fins, my Jets are XL. Their HUGE! For warm water diving with a single they're a little bulky. Even worse, ever try snorkeling with a pair of XL Jets? It's like having 2 rudders strapped to your fit.

I wish the foot pocket on the large wasn't so much smaller than the XL. I know I could switch to a lighter weight bootie, but I like having the heavier sole, in case I'm shore diving in a rocky area. If I was to go that route, I'd rather just lose the booties all together. If they made them, I'd even seriously consider full foot Jet Fins.

I love my Jets, I just wish I could switch to a smaller size for warm water diving and snorkeling! Any suggestions?

OMS slipstreams, same styling as the jets, but lighter. That doesn't help with the size of the fin, but if you want to keep the same heavy bootie that's a way to do it.

So I'd still have to wear an XL, but they'd at least be lighter? The problem with the sizing, as I'm sure you know is the blade on the XL is also way bigger than on the large. I'm also debating just embracing my warm water wimpiness, and possibly trying out the Jet Sport.

So I'd still have to wear an XL, but they'd at least be lighter?

yup! they are reported as being half the weight and neutral in the water as opposed to the jets that are "substantial" both in and out of water. I have some sliptreams on order to use when wet, and keep using the jets when dry. There's several threads on here discussing the comparison.

The problem with the sizing, as I'm sure you know is the blade on the XL is also way bigger than on the large. I'm also debating just embracing my warm water wimpiness, and possibly trying out the Jet Sport.

agreed, the slipstream would only be a solution to the weight, the size issue is still there.

Some people really like the dive rites, for a blade light fin. I was considering them but came across the slipstreams first.

IDI Power Fins (sold @ Divegearexpress) are smaller than Jets and maybe a little bit lighter. AvantiQuattros are waaay lighter, but waaay longer (3 1/2 inches).

I tried the Bat Fins (Hollis f1) and loved them. I had been diving Jets for only about 40 years. :D

I am still playing with them, and I do not get enough time in the water to do serious tests, but the pair of F2's I just purchased are lighter than ONE of my Jet fins! I decided to give them a try for travel, but so far they seem just as stiff as my Jets, and fit about the same. I found them performing for me, just as well as the Jets.
So far I am pleased, but I need to do a lot more diving to be sure (I need to do a lot more diving, period)

I am still playing with them, and I do not get enough time in the water to do serious tests, but the pair of F2's I just purchased are lighter than ONE of my Jet fins! I decided to give them a try for travel, but so far they seem just as stiff as my Jets, and fit about the same. I found them performing for me, just as well as the Jets.
So far I am pleased, but I need to do a lot more diving to be sure (I need to do a lot more diving, period)

what size F2 to what size jetfin is this comparison for?

Right now I am up in Maine on a bit of a road trip, so I can not double check, but as I recall both sets of fins are Large.
I did recently discover that my new Whites dry suit boots are a lot tighter in the L Jets. Disagreeably so. Prior to this I have been using wet suit boots with my Whites dry suit.
I have not yet tested the F2's in the dry suit, so I can not make the comparison for that yet. Mostly I have been comparing the F2's and the Jets, diving wet, and mostly for travel diving.
The extra weight of the Jets are an asset in the dry suit, that I expect i will not want to lose by using the F2's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom